british food

glacier1

It is in the chilled section of my SuperU. It comes in quite a biggish box which for two of us is sometimes a bit of a waste as only a certain amount of cream two people can eat. Not much is required to whip enough for a sponge  etc. and once open it does have a consume date on it. So good idea if you have a friend who would want to share a cream experience.  [:)]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We freeze cream and milk.  Our place in France is a second home so its quite useful to have milk in the freezer and it doesn't take long for it to defrost sufficiently to make a quick brew when we arrive.  We also freeze cream in ice-cube trays so we can just take out what we need.

many thanks scooby and valb. we have tried creme legere(from memory there are two types) but they both seem to taste the same.

we will certainly try creme professional - our only problem is now to find our nearest superU as our local big supermarket is intermarche.

please don't tell my GP I have been asking about cream he thinks I'm on a cholestoral lowering diet!

[quote user="ChristopherJ"]

please don't tell my GP I have been asking about cream he thinks I'm on a cholestoral lowering diet!

[/quote]

But don't they say that a bit of what you fancy does you good?  Mind you, it depends on what is meant by "a bit"...........

I mean my idea of "a bit" would have to be quite a large bit![:P]

[quote user="cheminot"]Leader Price stock 'Creme Entiere, fabrique en Normandie' in white plastic 500ml bottles with red label.

It is identical to british double cream (not soured).

cheminot

[/quote]

Does this whip up really thick for use on a trifle etc?

Also...Carrefour stock the Creme Professionelle in large cartons on the shelf with the evap etc.

[quote user="splishsplash"][quote user="cheminot"]Leader Price stock 'Creme Entiere, fabrique en Normandie' in white plastic 500ml bottles with red label.

It is identical to british double cream (not soured).

cheminot

[/quote]

Also...Carrefour stock the Creme Professionelle in large cartons on the shelf with the evap etc.

[/quote]

It does say on the label 'ideal for chantilly' as well as some other uses which I have forgotten now.

I have only used it for pouring so I cannot tell you for sure.

cheminot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Val

Just read your posting about the british butcher. Really interesting, especially as we are in the process of buying a house about 7mins away from there. Would be really gratefull if you could let me have info about the area. Many thanks

[quote user="splishsplash"]

[/quote]

For a trifle topping I use crème fleurette entière from Normandy which whips up beautifully. Sorry cannot remember the trade-name though I think it begins with E.

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="splishsplash"]
[/quote]
For a trifle topping I use crème fleurette entière from Normandy which whips up beautifully. Sorry cannot remember the trade-name though I think it begins with E.

Sue
[/quote]

This one? [img]http://media.telemarket.fr/imgnwprd/001/001570/00157023/00157023-t0.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Âme"]

This one?[/quote]

Bingo!

And that 33cl size provides more than enough topping for a big trifle for 9/10 people. I know this 'cos I did one for 6 hungry french friends (and us) last week; and the bit left after serving 8 was fought over by 3 of them for 'seconds'.

Sue [:)]

Creme Proffesional (sp ) from SuperU definately whips up to  a very thick topping and the carton is quite large so it would do several servings.  I must go on a diet for the summer[:D] [:D][:D]

Val

Hi suein56, I went out and bought your recommended cream for trifles yesterday, we were having friends for dinner, well hubby and I started whipping said cream at 4.30, at 7.30 when our friends arrived, we gave up, have you a magic whisk or something, because after three hours, definately something was wrong.In the end we had to pour the cream over the trifle, not a total dissaster, but I would have liked it the proper way.

Whipping cream is alchemy... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The cream/bowl/whisk have to be very cold, I've even put them in the freezer for 20mins part way through whipping and that has helped.

When all else fails, I use a sachet of Fixe Chantilly powder to finish the job. Find it on the cake decorations display in the supermarket.

[img]http://www.vahine.fr/uploads/tx_vahinerecette/FixeChantilly.gif[/img]

Just made scones and whipped up the cream you recommended, Ame.  Couldn't find yours which says fleurette and I bought the one that says épaisse.  Thought "thick" sounds good and, indeed, it is very nice.  It tastes very faintly sourish but it wasn't an unpleasant sour, certainly not sharp sour.

Freshly made scones plus butter plus blueberry jam (from Ikea) plus whipped cream plus mug of tea plus sunshine and warmth.

Feels like dying and going to heaven............except I know I haven't been quite good enough in my life to deserve heaven. 

Scones ....no problem

Cream.....no problem, even the Elle & Vire stuff from Carrefour (or equivalent from Spinneys)

Coffee.... what blend / brand / nationality would you like.....all are possible.

We are quite civilised in this part of the World (mostly) [:P]