Freezing leftovers ?

Iceni

I know it is partly a generational thing - BUT ... (I am fully aware some will not be happy with this, but here goes) also very British!

When we lived in Staffs in the 70s, I just could't believe the 'carry on' each meal time at my next door neighbours'! Each kid would march in to the kitchen and asked by mum what s/he wanted for supper (tea!) - mum then prepared what was requested by each, who then went to lounge to it their plate in front of TV. She was a teacher and dad owned a sports shop (ie not particularly 'working' class- whatever that means) - and if she cooked spag bol or lasagne, some ate it, some not - and had to be accompanied with chips. Same happened next door in East Leics - and you wouldn't believe how hard it was to organise French exchanges with kids who were soooooo fussy - French families tried so hard to please, but just couldn't believe the stuff our (GB) kids ate, or rather didn't!

Little grandson, 3 next month - is being brought up to it all (in UK) and does! Bless his little cotton socks.

At home my Mother always gave us a choice............... eat it or go without [:D][:D][:D]

When I freeze stuff I always put an extra wrapping of cling film on once I have labeled it, keeps the label on as I have yet to find a label that stays stuck[blink]

Well, it was their first visit and they go home tomorrow (only 2 nights in total).

As Odile says, it's the way kids are brought up these days.  In my day, you ate with the family and there was no question of something special being prepared for you if you didn't like what was put in front of you.

Too late now for these kids. As my contact with them is, so far, few and far between, I just can't be bothered to make an issue of it.

Have you seen that Sainsburys advert about leftovers.

I agree with the message - apparently millions of people just throw food away!

However, they start with something like a leftover cold chicken leg, then have to buy all sorts of ingredients to make something else out of it. What is wrong with just eating a cold chicken leg?

In our house, anything left over at dinner in the evening is eaten at lunchtime the next day.

Easy peasy.

I admit to doing things with leftovers, Bubbles.  Not so much buying "all sorts of ingredients to make something else out of it" but just using what's in my store cupboard.

For example, if I have left over mash potatoes, I might add a tin of tuna or salmon, parsely from the garden, an egg, breadcrumbs (made from leftover bread) and make fish cakes.

If I have a cold chicken leg leftover, I might add spices, lemon juice, stock cube, make a soup, add noodles and finely shredded veg and make Thai type noodles.

In fact, sometimes I think I prefer leftovers to the main meal!

[quote user="Jo"]At home my Mother always gave us a choice............... eat it or go without [:D][:D][:D]

When I freeze stuff I always put an extra wrapping of cling film on once I have labeled it, keeps the label on as I have yet to find a label that stays stuck[blink]

[/quote]

Hey, I never thought of that!

I just stopped putting on labels.

Thanks

Leftovers are very rare in this house because if I thought for one moment the dogs would allow me to bin anything edible, well that would be a mistake!   I have no veg leftovers, cabbage trimmings, spud peelings or such like because that goes into the pig's supper and any rice or pasta scraps are the property of the chickens, ducks and geese.     Stale bread goes to the goats and the rabbit with the chickens nicking what they can, so effectively my pedal bin only contains non edibles because of course cardboard packaging gets used to get the fire going.   Nothing interesting goes in my bin what with the recycling collection too.

That saying, if I have leftover chicken I make a pilaff from it which is a very good way to make a little meat go a long way.