Taking over utilities

vivienz

We've just returned from a visit to our new (to us) house in Brittany and everything is in order.  The house only has 2 utilities as far as I can see - water and electricity.  The previous owner has given me the details of the suppliers and I will contact them shortly to advise the change of ownership on the property.  The current suppliers are EDF for electricity and SAUR for water/waste. 

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?  At the moment, I anticipate that the house will be used for a maximum of 8 weeks throughout the year (probably less than this, but I'll go for the higher figure) and most of this will be in warmer weather.  We do have a dehumidifier running constantly.

As we can't predict what the bills are likely to be due to the sporadic use of the property, I don't want to pay anything by direct debit as this could lead to all sorts of complications of over/underpayment.  We will be setting up a French bank account in the next few weeks and so will be able to pay any bills by direct bank transfer.  I need our billing address to be a UK one as we can't guarantee being at the property in time to pick up any bills that might arrive there, but I presume that on-line billing and access to statements and account information is available as it would be in the UK.

Any advice would be, as ever, most appreciated.

Vivien

The first thing to be aware of is that estimated electricity usage is based on previous history. Since you will have none, EDF will probably base your bills on the previous occupant and if they were there full time, expect the bills to be over-estimated until the first metre reading (at best once every 6 months). You can enter your own readings online, but of course if you are not there, there is no reading to enter.

I cannot help about having bills sent to the UK since I have never been in that position.

The EDF sometimes try to insist on a prélèvement before agreeing to supply you. In this case you sign it and then a month or so later 'faire opposition' at the bank which stops them taking anything and when you get the bill you pay it in what ever fashion you wish.

Thanks, everyone. I've just trawled through an email exchange between the immo and the notaire. It looks as though the immo did take readings, etc. but hasn't informed me of them! As usual, she was more vexed about making sure she received her commission and that the notaire had received her invoice, but I'll chase her up for the information now.

You might want to check out the puissance currently ascribed to your supply.

If the previous owners were year-round residents, then the rating could well have been higher than your 'fair weather' needs. It's not a big deal, but it would make a difference to your standing charge.

There are currently 3 tariffs on offer from EDF. One is the 'Tempo' tariff, which is basically low unit cost when demand is low and high when high. It might well suit you - I'm pretty sure that Quillan is on that, so he should be able to advise on its likely suitability.

Thank, Gardian.  That's just the sort of thing I'm after.  The previous owners only used the property once in the last 12 months and that was in the summer, I understand, so I've no fear of a tariff being based on a previous one.

There will be a very low constant use with brief periods of not-so-low use, so I'll look into the tempo one.

Thanks again.

Just thought of something re water.

Make sure that you haven't got any leaks (less than easy to diagnose though) or more commonly, particularly if you're in a hard water area, any what I'd call 'loo seepage'.

What I mean by that is the plunger not re-seating properly and effectively continuing to flush.

It sounds daft, but it often happens. Easily fixed, but not the bill if you ignore it. Even a slight seepage can run up a big bill over a number of months.

[quote user="Loiseau"]In fact, make a point of turning off the water at the meter every time you go home. That way, any loo-trickling or burst pipe during your absence will not cause any headaches - until you return.

Angela[/quote]

And especially in hard water areas, it helps to prevent the stop-cock (male hen!) or valve from seizing up.

[quote user="Loiseau"]In fact, make a point of turning off the water at the meter every time you go home. That way, any loo-trickling or burst pipe during your absence will not cause any headaches - until you return. Angela[/quote]

Yes - much better suggestion than mine.

When we arrived, the water was turned off at the mains (it took us a good 20 mins to locate the stopcock as it wasn't where the immo had said!), so we reckoned it would be good practice to follow this and turned off when we left. 

The water there is very soft - as evidenced by super fluffy hair and only needing half the amount of shampoo as back at home where we have very hard water.