French salaries

SaligoBay

They're having a laugh aren't they? I thought all the French apart from civil servants, lawyers and accountants were on the SMIC anyway.

So that looks like an 80% pay rise for Mrs Will, and I'll never need to work again.

If only they were true.  I have been actively looking in France for about a year now and some of the jobs and the salary to go with it have made me fall off my chair.  I am not sure if the French are into titles i.e. Directors is a term loosely used in England, but for Directors jobs in France I have seen some really insulting salaries for the responsibility of the position.  Then when you see how much you have to pay in taxes, I am sometimes wondering why would I want to leave Germany, but it's not just about the money.  Take a look on the APEC site and you will see what I mean. I shall quote L'express figures at the next interview when we get to discuss salaries!!

I just looked up my job - and its pays less in euros in France than I

earn in pounds in the UK - and then some!![:'(] - And I just looked up

the 'Directeur' and the salaries were ridiculous - our directors earn

at least four times that amount plus bonuses...

If those salaries are correct then France is definitely a retirement

only destination...unless, of course, you want a life of 'genteel'

poverty LOL

Hastobe

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, but in my experience they are almost always quoted gross (brut)

never net .  You would then have to allow for social deductions to

come out of this (an A4 sheet is the norm for a French pay slip) and

then account for your tax - I still think we pay less tax than in the

UK though but not sure......

It's definitely also common in France for salaries to be quoted net monthly. Which makes comparisons with a gross annual salary quite difficult, what with 13th month etc. For example, when he was taken on by his employer, OH was asked how much he wanted net monthly. This was the figure of discussion, though in the actual contract it was specified as gross annual.

I hate banging on about this but having worked for quite a few French

companies since moving here 13 years ago, I have yet to come across one

that talks of net salaries - always gross.  I wouldn't like to

mislead posters that some jobs offers may talk of  net salaries

because I have NEVER seen one, only gross is mentioned in the official

offer.

Hi All.

On my contact my salary is quoted as gross, but in the newspaper advertisements  I  have noticed the salaries are quoted as nett. Typical France, really complicated as usual. Sorry about the italics  must have hit the wrong button on this damn french keyboard. Oh look, fixed it........must be the red wine again.

Aly

Holy Mackerel!!

I've just checked my old job (at least I think I did - the same wine problem, as Aly, above!! [blink] ) & for the first time ever, think I might have been well paid!!  Thank God we are retired!!

Ali (on the wine!)