How much work expectation?

Alma

Has anyone out there got experiance in the hotel cleaning side of things?  I would like to know how many ensuite bedrooms you should be expected to do and in what time capactity should it take you to do each average room.  I accept that in the height of the season there is more work to do but there must still be a limit to how much one person can be expected to do. 

As BaF, the hotel I worked in had 3 members of staff responsible for 20 rooms each + bathrooms + toilets + stairs and corridors.

We used to have Shearings coaches arrive every Saturday at 4pm and the rooms had to be ready, spick and span.

The previous Shearings coachload would leave at 10 that morning and we would often forego lunch to finish off on time.

AME I agree - the problem this year was that everything changed and I was left most of the time to do everything on my own.  Starting with sweeping and mopping throughout downstairs corridors and restaraunts, cleaning toilets putting the first load of laundry on (previous nights kitchen and restaraunt stuff), carry all clean sheets upstairs (3 flights) plus baskets of towels.  Most mornings I managed to start the actual bedrooms by about 9:45 (if any of the guests had left!).  There are fifteen ensuite rooms most with more than one bed.  Because of the boss didn't want to spend out on any more towels this year we were running on a 'just enough' basis so I was having to run up and down to get the towels washed inbetween doing the bedrooms.  I had help sometimes of a young waitress (16) trainee but because she was absolutely rubbish I ended up either having to redo all her work or got reprimanded about the state of the cleaning!

The rooms had to be finished by 2 o'clock because that's when the guests could start arriving but quite often alot of the old guests didn't check out until 12 o'clock.  Then expected to finish off dirty pots and pans and any dishes left from the lazy gits in the kitchen, sweeping through the restaurants again because the waitresses don't consider it their job and having to finish the laundry and any other jobs that the boss decides he wants done. i.e. cleaning out the commercial dishwasher, cleaning down surfaces in kitchen......

I am conciencous (spelling!!) with my work but have felt this year that I am being exploited (especially with other problems like not being paid for extra hours I have worked etc).  My boss is always reprimanding me (in front of other staff) for silly things, complaining that I am not working fast enough, silly things taken singly but when they go on all day everyday it is hard to work properly.  I am at the stage where I often find myself having anxiety attacks (crying, palpatations, trembling etc) which does affect my work.  Is this normal for the hotel industry.  I have heard that it is a difficult industry to be in.

Alma, the catering industry is a very ungrateful one. You always know at what time you start work but you never know at what time you 'll finish.

Going by your description, I'd say you're being taken advantage of.

Do you have a contract which describes your area of responsibility? What is your job title?

Who does you work when you are off? How does that person manage?

Are your employers amenable enough for you to sit down with them and say "this is too much, this is more than I did before in the same amount of time."

If your work is affecting your health, it's time to take a step back and decide which is more important.

Thanks Clair,  I was worried that I was perhaps imagining my problems.  I have had a lot of moral harrassement this year (the other lady who did the job when I was on my days off left because she was suffering with very bad depression because of the way she was being treated. 

Since she left all the things that were being done to her are now being put onto me.  My contract is femme de menage/polyvalent depending on which piece of paper you look at:  contract says polyvalent but everything else (payslip, tax forms etc say femme de menage).  Nothing specified but my boss has had me painting and gardening which I now know is not part of my job discription so I am expecting an arguement when I refuse to do this again when I am instructed to do it this winter.

My bosses are not the sort of people that will discuss these things unless everything is going their way - if they do not like what they here they fly off the handle and it causes even more problems!  That's why the other lady had such a problem - she tried to discuss a problem.

I am seeing the CGT (union) at the moment about some other issues that I have with them (mainly wanting my money they owe me) so they might be able to bring this into it.  Unfortuneately moral harrassement is against the law here but a case has never been successful because it is not possible to prove it.  Catch 22?!

I am trying to find another job but it not easy with limited french.  I explain that to french people (doctor etc..) but they don't seem to understand what a big problem that is.  It took me 2 years to get this job after many ignored job applications and interviews,  Unfortenatly I cannot afford to not work and if I quit I am not entitled to unemployment for 4 months.

[quote user="Alma"]

Unfortenatly... if I quit I am not entitled to unemployment for 4 months.

[/quote]

Things have changed recently (in June) for certain types of rupture of employment contracts.  If you and your boss can't agree a way forward, perhaps you can agree a way out, for you.  You should ask about "la rupture conventionelle" as, if both you and your employers agree, you could leave without having to surrender you rights to unemployment benefit.  It would also mean though that you would have no opportunity to pursue your employers later for any kind of financial reparation.

More details, in French, here...

http://www.travail-solidarite.gouv.fr/informations-pratiques/fiches-pratiques/rupture-conventionnelle-du-contrat-travail/rupture-conventionnelle-du-contrat-travail.html

In Google English here

It doesn't sound to me like you are imagining your problems, rather, it sounds like your employers imagine that they can cut resources (human and material) while maintaining standards. From what you say, you have taken on additional responsibilities (staff training, supervisory responsibilities... painting! [:-))] ) without warning, negotiation or recognition. You attitude appears to be that you want to help your employers to achieve their goals.  At the moment you need some support and additional resources, from them, in order to fulfil your role more efficiently and effectively. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. I wish you all the best.

Ame, you are quite right. They took over this business last year and I was 'in it' from the beginning as a 'new' employee.  I really felt like 'one of the family' and the working atmosphere was really good and I really felt like I wanted them to make a success.  I think the problems are probably showing that perhaps the business is struggling financially but surely that should be a reason to keep your good employees on side not use them to take out the frustrations of failure!?

[quote user="Alma"]I think the problems are probably showing that perhaps the business is struggling financially but surely that should be a reason to keep your good employees on side not use them to take out the frustrations of failure!?[/quote]

Absolutely right, it should be a reason to keep good staff on side! I wonder if they're suffering from stress, due to financial pressures, and if that could be affecting their performance at work. It's no excuse, but it could explain things a bit. If it was a pleasant 'family' environment to work in before, then perhaps (hopefully) it is redeemable. Regarding negotiation, can you think of any cost-saving exercises (e.g. buying more towels saves staff costs, cheaper suppliers, ways to use less materials, more efficient scheduling of tasks...) that you can suggest? This may not be your responsibility, but it might help to save your job. If the business goes under, everyone loses.

Ame - I think things have gone too far me now to want to help them!  They are even down to washing most of their own sheets now to save money so I think they must be on the way out.  As for suggesting buying more towels etc   been there, done that, got told to mind my own business (but not that politely!)[blink]