On the move soon....

I wonder if any one reading this can PM me with names of solicitors who can be recommended: removals who can be recommended: estate agents who are OK.  I have read so many posts where people have been disappointed with the so-called 'help' they have received from professionals as mentioned above that I don't want to in the same boat. I am a great believer in recommendations frm people who have had good service. (Areas to be considered would be Pas de Calais, Somme, Seine Maritime for estate agents).

thanks

roseysan

We used Franklins of Streetly, Sutton Coldfield for our move from Lichfield to 79.  Excellent service and reasonable price. Steve Franklin has a holiday home in Charente so he's familiar with the needs of people moving over here.

Re solicitors.  As you'll have read, house purchase in France is very straightforward and it's the notaire who handles the legal stuff.  So unless you have a mega complex deal, then it's probably not worth hiring a solicitor.

Re estate agents.  Can't really recommend any in your intended area. In the main, they're not really much different to UK ones - you pays yer money...

Sunday Driver, perhaps though, peace of mind goes with using a solicitor. Plus, unless your French is excellent, then perhaps it i better to know exactly what you are signing up for than to hope everything is OK.

Paul

Valid point, Paul.  However, its worth a reminder that it's the notaire's legal duty to make sure you understand the terms of the purchase before you sign anything - and that often means providing an english translation of the documents.  Plus, you can find english speaking notaires.....

Our french is not that good and we asked friends locally to assist, they advised us that most Notaires have received a decent education and it would not be difficult to find a Notaire who spoke English, we asked our Vendor so they picked an English speaking Notaire, pas de problem. Good Luck 

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it [:D]

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, i am currently using a legal firm in Birmingham who advertise all aspects of french law covered etc.   However don't use them!!!!!!!.......i'm really yet to discover what their role is after i'ld paid the money up front.  In the end what I needed to resort to was seeing the notaire in France with a translator present and sorting my contract out that way, it was easy!........ ....I'm still having dealings with the Birmingham firm and really still unconvinced by their professional services offered!..................I won't be holding my breath!

Hi Traci, we used the same firm and also paid for Inheritance advice, which was absolutely nothing at all no advice but got our money. A complete waste. I can highly recommend staying away from this so called firm.[:@]

We used a solicitor based in Plymouth. No problems with her location, as it can all be done by email and letter.

She is French, and a qualified Maitrise Droit (Notaire to you and me), and a qualified solicitor to boot. She was excellent, but don't expect her to be anything other than honest, which is why we are no longer buying in France (see my posting under legal matters). She can and will advise on inheritance and go through the compromis to review all the conditions. She will liaise with the agent, notaire and mairie as required, and speaking the language is clearly a great asset.

She advertises in FPN magazine, but if you want her details sooner, drop me an email.

• 2 weeks later...

actually when it comes to fial signing and payment via nortaire it is French law that the discussion must be in

French.

th notaire can usually organise a translter to be present to help you understand.

This is what happened in my case 5 years ago and we did not use uk soliciter.

Also bare in mind the notaire is acting on behalf of the government and most uk soliciters do not know sufficient French law apart from their (uk soliciters )high costs.!!!!!!!!

the translaters are appointed and can be any nationality-in fact we had a scottish lady assisting us.,and they are also used in case you need an official translation of marriage and birth certificates which are sometimes necessary.