Cotisation

beris

Advise please.

My wife(67) and myself(69) run a Gite, along with our daughter. Our son in law is a self employed estate agent.

We work seven days a week on the grounds, swimming pool, maintinance, washing, cleaning and the needs of the guests.(We have 24 weeks already booked for this year)

We do not take any wages from the business.

My question is, if we decided to take a wage (my Wife & I) would we have to pay cotisation?

We receive our old age pension from the UK, all our medical expenses are covered from there, except for our top up which we pay €200 a month for, from our uk pension.

Many thanks.

Beris

Thanks for that, we are confused because our accountant says that if we take a wage we will have to pay 40% cotisation. We were under the impression that cotisaion was for French medical expenses and pension.

As these are already being paid for us from the UK, can this be right.

Beris

I am with Eurotrash.  My belief is that if you work here (even if you take the proceeds "in kind") then you are in the French system and do pay cotis (health, social services, pension contributions) and lose all rights to an S form. 

Like all the other posters on this thread, I'm a little confused as to what you've been doing thus far - I can only assume that your family has been taking all the proceeds from the gite and you do all that work for love?

EDIT :  NB Your cotis are based on  turnover, not your "wages" or profits.

Obviously the French system is different from the UK system where you do not pay NI contributions after reaching pension age. In UK you can contiue to work and still draw a pension as well. Of course this is taxable but free from social charges.

Hi Cooperlola

My wife and I are moving to France in a couple of years and I am hoping to carry on in the used car retail business. I have noticed the lack of independent used car sites in France and your comment that cotisations are payable on turnover could be the reason why.

If I sell say 6 cars in a month at 5000.00 euros each retail, that is a turnover of 30,000.00 euros for the month. The gross profit could be say 5000.00 euros, less TVA and preparation costs. And then of course advertising and so on. Maybe I will end up with some wages!

If cotisations are due on the turnover then there won't be a lot left for wages!?

Have I understood you?

Tony