BEWARE OFFERS TO BUILD YOUR HOME !

My parents trusted a company based in the UK and France to 'project manage' their development of new homes, and despite having a contract that makes it clear they are only allowed 5% of build costs as their fee as well as obliging them to get 3 competitive quotes, they've taken advantage of two elderly people and the company selected only artisans willing to give them between 8 and 20 percent in commissions for being given the work which of course added 8 to 20% to the price of the work to my parents and of course they were charged an additional 5% on this 8 to 20 percent.

Stupid as it is they also took advantage of my mother's inability to write French words, so when she's given a cheque destined for an artisan in some cases the PM put the money straight into his own account.

So beware. I've seen this company mentioned in these forums. I won't mention their name until the outcome of the writ I've served them, and out of respect for the legal position of the forum. However beware. This company has a UK and a French arm which unfortunately go by seperate names.

If someone is managing your build for you, make sure that:

-You have full control over which workers/companies are selected

-You have full and direct control of payments made

-You have definitive contractual statements as to how much the PM earns from the job and through what mechanism, and that he is responsible for producing accounts of all monies including his cut

-You have a schedule of work, and it is clear who is responsible for administration and for signing off the work when it's done (there's no point 12 months into a build deciding that you're not happy with some bricklaying that was done a year ago - the PM should make sure it's done to satisfaction before authoring the final payment to the bricklayer)

-Make sure the budget is agreed in advance and in writing with the PM, and that he is accountable for any overspend (our PM claimed he had no financial responsibilities when the build went over budget by 300%)

I know it sounds obvious, but don't sign over power of attorney on making payments. Our PM tried this one on my parents.

I' pretty sure I've said nothing libellous but in case it could be considered saw please consider all I've said as being without prejudice. I'm not pointing the finger at a specific company. Rather I'm suggesting what people should look out for when entrusting their project to someone they don't know.

If anyone has any other experiences to share, please post them (without the name of a company or individual) so that we can all be aware of the sharks out there.

The only hassle I have had is with English builders (2 small jobs that came over budget and poorly executed) save one registered english plumber who is worth his weight in gold.  In 13 years we have used french artisans and never been disappointed.  The sharks are definitely of the english variety IMHO.

I had my house built in France about a year ago.

I bought the land directly from the vendor, introduced to me buy the constructor.

After that, the constructor didi everything : Planning permission, land works.....

Every step was written in the contract and went according to it.

I recieved my house right on time.

How surprised was I on the handover day !!!! Everything was actually as described in the contract and the plans !

Took less than a year from first signing to handover day.

Having this house built is one of the best thing I could have done !

Matthew.

P.S. : The developer I used was only France based.

You're very lucky and I'm truly pleased for you. One thing I missed out in my story was that this company sold some of our development 'off-plan', only to English buyers (who usually have cash or borrow against property in the UK not France). All of these buyers were either elderly or using their life savings, and this didn't seem to bother the company we used much when they walked away from the project leaving the site unfinished, and supposedly unfinishable for legal reasons. This company is owned by ex-pats.

I understand what you mean.

I just wanted to reply because when reading your message, it seemed to me that every builders were that way...

Just wanted to put things into perspectives.

May you send me the company name in MP, out of curiosity ? Thanks.

Good luck

Matthew.

Assuming the contract was written in English and signed in the UK spend a small amout of time and money with a UK based solicitor. Ask them to review Elton Hercules John / Reg Dwight and Bernie Taupin versus Dick James Music and duty of trust.  NB before anybody jumps on this post I said review I did not imply any similarities in behavour.

I appreciate your advice and am aware of the case you refer to. Unfortunately although the company has a UK arm and a French arm, the contract is French and bound under French law, and the company conveniently 'segregates' its estate agency from it's 'consultancy' arm in times of litigation.

It's also worth being aware that the company tied us into sales contracts 'off-plan' with customers, and in selling these properties they promised most purchasers the earth. One thought he was getting a 3 bed house, with wooden floors, a free kitchen, white goods, a communal swimming pool and tennis courts, and special inset lighting for 75,000 euros. In the Pas-De-Calais/Picardie region. If you can find me that deal on a new build in France I'd be happy. Although the company promised all of this to our customers (unbeknowns to us), French law holds us responsible because agents like this company are deemed to be acting on our behalf. Though all this means is that the customers can take action against us and we have to seperately take action against the PM company.

Anyhow, causing them all sorts of problems isn't difficult for me. The hardest thing with the French legal system is getting them into court.

For those people asking who the company is, whether on here or by PM, it would be libellous for me to name them until I have a judgement against them. But two of the main people in the company are called Adrian and Eric. Buyers/people seeking project managers beware.

I wish there was anything I could suggest. I have found turnkey new build from established French to be cheaper than the tens of thousands some British People spend on renovations. I have not looked at prices round Bordeaux for almost 18 months but it looks like the old rule "If it looks too good to be true it probably is."

Well in that case...

I used a company called AST groupe, and more precisly one of their brand called Villas Club...

They really did a great job there.

My house was build in Ain ( 01 ), but I think they also do burgundy and south.

Ask me if you need any details...