Orbital Sander in hand luggage at Stansted?

joidevie

Hi..

Security at Stansted can be unpredictable to say the least.

I was hoping to carry a new boxed orbital sander in a bag - any ideas if they'll take it? It's 3kg (I've carried a music player before of that weight) but I'm worried as it's a power tool they'll baulk?

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Can't help but would like to know as I want/need to take a pump to Holland next month and hand luggage would be the most obvious choice for me too.  Technically it's under the weight and if you had a 10k hand bag and swung that it could do just as much harm if not more than a 3k sander.

The "list" states:

Tools

This includes crowbars, drills and drill bits, saws, blowtorches,

bolt guns, nail guns, or any tool with a blade or shaft over 6cm (eg

screwdrivers or chisels).

However, it also says:

Stansted may additionally prevent any item considered to pose a

security or safety risk from passing through to the departure lounge.

[url]http://www.stanstedairport.com/stansted-airport-guide/airport-security/hand-baggage[/url]

So as clear as......

"Sharp items

This includes knives (with blades over 6cm)", so you can't fatally wound with a 5cm blade then?

This exactly the pathetic crap that stopped me flying, have a rule by all means but make it sensible (I have seen nail clippers taken and they certainly have blades shorter...

You are making it up as you go along Théière with your "this includes knives"

Any knife will be confiscated no matter what the length except perhaps one of those things to stab your thumb for a blood test.

I suppose with a sander you could abrade someone into submission, a belt sander would be better though as some of the crew members might like the orbital one [:-))]

I hope that you get it through, a friend took a cordless drill set in its carry case to Turkey as hand luggage on whatever Lo-co airline serves there, it was after 9/11 and at a guess about 5 years ago.

I wish I was Chancer but that is from the link provided by Betty from Stansted airport

http://www.stanstedairport.com/stansted-airport-guide/airport-security/hand-baggage

Where as Gatwick confiscate ALL knives of any length but scissors are allowed providing they have round ends. [blink]

http://www.gatwickairport.com/check-in-security/baggage/

AaHHHH give me strength, gatwick security leaflet

"knives and scissors with a sharp or pointed blade

and/or blades longer than 6cm (round-ended, blunt

scissors and knives less than 6cm are permitted)"

See it's pathetic!

Hopefully Chiefluvvie will be along to explain later

I stand corrected!

And you are absolutely right, I am amazed that any airport in the current age will allow a pocket knife of less than 6cm to be carried, I have had folding nail scissors confiscated and they had blades only 1.5cm long, trouble was I needed them to remove the tywraps that i had secured all the zips on my hold luggage backpack, and in there was my money.

So after returning from Ecuador I wandered up to the info desk at Gatwick airport and asked them if they could lend me a knife to get into my backpack, they were horrified and called security, I wasnt phased, I thought at least the security guard would have a knife but no, you would not believe how hard it is to find a knife or anything sharp in an airport, except perhaps Stansted.

Do they still sell knives in the airside shops?

Good one ! I haven't posted for ages - busy flying Summer this year and not quite 'recovered' from being banned by that other Forum :-)

Orbital Sander - well I'd let you onboard with it but then I'm not Stanstead security. I can't see how it would be any more dangerous than our full sized drinks bottles in Club and First.......smash and maim.

Pretty sure there are no specific regs about Orbital Sanders (!) - down to the security people on the day (as always). Don't you just love consistency.....

Chiefluvvie

Ah, yes...consistency. That's the thing that happens where you take something out of Stansted with no problem, then get it confiscated at La Rochelle on the way home....[:D]...as happened to Mr Betty.

Or, as once happened to me, you (inadvertently) leave Heathrow with a rather large pair of scissors in your briefcase, having simply forgotten they were there. You then return from Roissy, where the nice security bloke says "Excuse me, madam, but did you know you have a massive pair of scissors in your bag?" and you explain that no, you didn't know, and neither, apparently, did Heathrow security.

About 6 years ago we put a brand new chainsaw, carefully wrapped in plastic and then clothes into checked in luggage.

This apparently got seen in an x ray and the ryanair pilot had it brought to the plane and OH had to unpack it in front of the whole planeload to prove it had no petrol in it. I can still feel the flush as my generous pants were revealed.

... I think I'll check it in.. I need it this visit, but stupidly didn't realise that Ryanair's "off peak" bag fees don't start until a few days later.. So £25 instead of £15..

Still, it was €50 cheaper to buy than in France, and I get to pack some other overdue items in the box.. And the same cost as a 15kg DHL (well, almost, but no waiting in for deliveries..)

Chancing it in hand will only be hassle as it may need checking in on the day (higher fees)..

The problem is, it so depends on who's making the decision on the day in security.. I've had so many mixed responses at security. "depends on who's on duty on the day" is the usual get out if faces are long..

I win again!!

[IMG]http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/picturebouquet/MOleary.jpg[/IMG]

Fortune favours the brave, There is nothing anywhere written down no matter how ambiguous that says you can't.

No sharp bits longer than 5.5cm?

I would go for it, even if there is someone objecting they have a manager and they would need to prove why it was more dangerous than any other 3 kg item.  A bottle purchased air side is far more potentially dangerous. Don't be bullied

[quote user="confused of chalus"]OH had to unpack it in front of the whole planeload to prove it had no petrol in it.[/quote]Perfectly correct too !

Fact is he was damn lucky that it wasn't confiscated on the spot as such items are subject to IATA transport of dangerous good by air regulations as any item which has contained petrol can remain a potential hazard due to residual vapours. I'm guessing that he got away with it because it was new and had never had petrol in it.

Regarding knives and sharp objects it would be simplicity to hone the blade of a flip key into a very effective weapon yet I wonder how many passengers travel with one of those either in their hand baggage or about their person completely without question ?

[img]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2865/73867451489545559760.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Théière"]

I would go for it, even if there is someone objecting they have a manager and they would need to prove why it was more dangerous than any other 3 kg item.  A bottle purchased air side is far more potentially dangerous. Don't be bullied

[/quote]

Surely that's exactly what the "Stansted may prevent.....etc" in my first post is designed to cover? If they say it is, it is.[:P]

It doesn't help when the CAA themselves say.

"Please note that airlines and security screening agencies have the right to refuse the carriage of certain items"

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1219/srg_dgo_WhatCanICarry20120321.pdf

Incidentally, from the CAA site this which would have applied to the chain saw.

Flammable liquids:

machines with petrol fuelled engines including those which have been drained

Yes if someone is bloody minded enough it may need to be checked in, however looking at the item carefully and making sure there aren't sharp bits its difficult for them to come up with an objection to something so insignificant.  I seldom travelled through without carrying some tool or other part required and got stopped and questioned plenty of times but even when the manager was called over after a brief chat it was ok.  The tools I have checked in were the chainsaw for obvious reasons, a 90cm SDS drill bit and a car radiator otherwise all has been ok. 

Petrol-engine powered equipment, e.g. scooter, electric generator. Provided the engine has been completely purged of fuel and the fuel tank has either:

a) never had any fuel in it;

b) been removed and will not be carried; or

c) been completely purged of fuel, and action taken to nullify the danger

then the equipment may be carried. If the engine has been used while away, you will have to comply with the above when returning with the engine.

N/A

Smoke hood – with oxygen supply (either gaseous or

[quote user="Théière"]

Fortune favours the brave, There is nothing anywhere written down no matter how ambiguous that says you can't.

No sharp bits longer than 5.5cm?

[/quote]

Price to check in bag online - £25

Price to check in bag at the airport if item disallowed - £100 (!!!)

Price of sander new £60

Price of sander in France £95

Looks like a potential spread bet at Ladbrokes..

At least I will be able to check in a handful of other 'difficult' items...

I'm tempted to try it, but it's been real hit and miss on other occasions, and usually the items have been cheap enough to throw away rather than go and check in..

It just take Mr jobsworth to 'find' a problem with the article and you're stuffed (although, on the whole, they are decent people, but once in a while.....)

Crikey £100 to check in a bag at the airport!!! Hmm could be an incentive to disallow anything deemed useful under that circumstance [6]

I thought the idea was to stop terrorism this just seems to have increased it Al Stansted sound like a nasty bunch.

Well I do have to take a pool pump via Gatwick & Schiphol soon and that will be in my hand luggage, How are they at Schiphol Ernst?

I did have a problem with a lightweight aluminium LED torch that a security man took a fancy to at Tours but the best I could do was to get it locked up in the security office for 2 weeks until I returned (I made them write out a receipt for it )  I know he thought he could just confiscate it but not form me Froggy!! 

[quote user="Théière"]Well I do have to take a pool pump via Gatwick & Schiphol soon and that will be in my hand luggage, How are they at Schiphol Ernst?[/quote]If you get it past Gatwick security I wouldn't have though you'd have too much bother at Schiphol but don't blame me if you do !

[quote user="Théière"]..........

I did have a problem with a lightweight aluminium LED torch that a security man took a fancy to at Tours but the best I could do was to get it locked up in the security office for 2 weeks until I returned (I made them write out a receipt for it )  I know he thought he could just confiscate it but not form me Froggy!! [/quote]

Thread drift alert ....

I found a bundle of euro notes that someone had dropped from their pocket when showing their passport on the way in to the departure lounge at a small French airport. I handed it to the Ryanair woman at the counter in the departure lounge, expecting her to make an announcement to the fifty or so waiting passengers. And I waited in vain.