Installing wood burning stoves.

Pepsimax

We have recently paid £450 to install a wood burning stove in our house in the Ariege and were wondering whether this was the going rate.

We have two more stoves to install in the newly converted barn, one downstairs (kitchen)and one upstairs (sitting room) ( the top one will be directly overhead the downstairs one) but they will use the same outlet on to the roof. There is no chimney there at present.At this price for each one it is going to be an expensive job.

Any ideas about the best way to go about this?

Just to give some idea, a couple of weeks ago we paid just under €900 for a large wood burner to be installed in an existing chimney but that included €800 for the stove itself. So judging solely by that, £450 for installation (i.e. not supply as well) of a stove looks excessive.

However it depends on what was involved. You say in one part of your post that there was no chimney, so therefore if a complete flue pipe had to be installed you probably did reasonably well.

[quote]We would be interested Will in where that was from and who fitted it as that seems very reasonable Many thanks Ray[/quote]

Our house is in Lavelanet near to Mirepoix in the Ariege. If you are near I will send you the address but I am sure that he is based in Mirepoix.

Have been doing some research my self on this subject and found this while gleaning the net. It is American and I do not normally find their humour funny but.....

You want to install a wood burning stove to save money next winter? I did last year and here is what it cost me:

COST TO INSTALL AND USE A WOOD BURNING STOVE.

Stove, Pipe, and Installation .................................................... $499.00
    Chain Saw (to cut wood) .............................................................. 150.00
    Gas, Oil, and Maintenance on Saw ............................................. 75.00
    Used 4X4 Pickup to Haul Wood ............................................... 9,300.00
    4X4 Pickup Maintenance .............................................................. 750.00
    Fine for Cutting Trees on State prop without permit ............. 350.00
    Permit to Cut Wood on State prop ................................................... 5.00
    Two Cases of Beer (To drink while cutting wood)....................... 30.00
    Fine for Littering (Threw beer can on road) ............................... 500.00
    Tow Truck (To get 4X4 out of creek) ............................................. 150.00
    Log Splitter ........................................................................................ 347.00
    Doctor's Fee (To remove splinter from eye) .................................. 50.00
    Safety Glasses .................................................................................... 15.00
    Tetanus Shot for Squirrel Bite ......................................................... 10.00
    Laundry Bill (Stepped on snake) ....................................................... 3.50
    Replace Stolen CB Radio from 4X4 Pickup ................................. 197.00
    Replace Lost Watch ............................................................................ 85.00
    Replace Side Mirror on 4X4 Pickup (Passenger side) ................. 35.00
    Replace Other Side Mirror on 4X4 Pickup ..................................... 35.00
    Two Butane Lighters and Lighter Fluid ............................................ 5.85
    Replace Living Room Carpet (Burnt by sparks) .......................... 800.00
    Repaint Living Room (Smoke damage) ........................................... 45.00
    Doctor's Bill for Neighbor's Kid (Burnt hand on stove).................. 35.00
    Doctor's Bill for Smashed Toe (Carrying wood barefoot)............. 35.00
    Lost Days from Work (While toe healed) ....................................... 750.00
    Replace Coffee Table (Chopped and burnt while drunk)........... 178.00
    ..................................................................................................................
    TOTAL COST FIRST YEAR (And last) YEAR .......................... $19,304.35

[quote]We have recently paid £450 to install a wood burning stove in our house in the Ariege and were wondering whether this was the going rate. We have two more stoves to install in the newly converted ba...[/quote]

The going rate is whatever the person doing the job feels is right for him and your home and is whatever you feel happy paying. There are going to be people who say theirs was cheaper and vice versa.

Why don't you speak to the person who installed the first one and find out if the same flue liner will be used for the second one and if so whether fitting the second will be easier and therefore less money.

I always feel that it is friendlier to speak to artisans without a pre-conceived notion that they are going to stitch you up and who knows if they are local you have made a usefull contact as well as getting a nice warm home.

Weedon(53)

We supply and install Villager stoves - these are proper stoves desgned to be the primary source of heat 24 hours a day throughout the winter, not to be confused with those generally available in the Bricos. The larger models (16kW output) are priced at just over 1000€ plus TVA - the rate of TVA depends on whether we fit the stove or not (assuming your house is more than 2 years old). Fitting is charged at the standard rate of 140€ and includes stove assembly and connecting to the flue with black enammelled pipes supplied. Full installation which generally includes a stainless steel flue liner and register plate seems to work out at around 800-900€ depending on the length of liner required and ease of access to the chimney.

On a different note; you have to be keen to post on this forum - it has just taken 6 minutes to download the reply form!

We supply and install Villager stoves - these are proper stoves designed to be the primary source of heat 24 hours a day throughout the winter, not to be confused with those generally available in the Bricos. The larger models (16kW output) are priced at just over 1000€ plus TVA - the rate of TVA depends on whether we fit the stove or not (assuming your house is more than 2 years old). Fitting is charged at the standard rate of 140€ and includes stove assembly and connecting to the flue with black enammelled pipes supplied. Full installation which generally includes a stainless steel flue liner and register plate seems to work out at around 800-900€ depending on the length of liner required and ease of access to the chimney.

On a different note; you have to be keen to post on this forum - it has just taken 6 minutes to download the reply form!

We supply and install Villager stoves - these are proper stoves designed to be the primary source of heat 24 hours a day throughout the winter, not to be confused with those generally available in the Bricos. The larger models (16kW output) are priced at just over 1000€ plus TVA - the rate of TVA depends on whether we fit the stove or not (assuming your house is more than 2 years old). Fitting is charged at the standard rate of 140€ and includes stove assembly and connecting to the flue with black enamelled pipes supplied. Full installation which generally includes a stainless steel flue liner and register plate seems to work out at around 800-900€ depending on the length of liner required and ease of access to the chimney.

I'm not a million miles from you and have a slow dial-up connection... but have never had (and never will have!) the patience to wait six minutes for a reply form!

Perhaps the appearance of your reply in triplicate is a form of compensation. And then again, perhaps not.

Sorry Charles , I don't really understand your comment about stoves bought from French bricos.

Can you explain, as I'm concerned that my large, French woodburner (bought from Weldoms) won't be up to the task of heating a 40sq mtr kitchen?

regards.....helen