Selling your house!

Lautrec

If the house is in France, a survey for the presence of lead, asbestos and in some regions, termites must be carried out (at the vendors expense).

Since the 1st November is also compulsory for an energy efficiency survey (DPE) to be carried out, also at the vendors expense. See below...

http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-property/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=19327

Since June, a statement detailing the possible risks in the area (natural or technological) must also be included in the contract.

http://www.prim.net/citoyen/moi_face_au_risque/223_IAL_en.html

Hi Cat as to the second part of your posting surely it should be amended thus ' a statement detailing the possible risks in the area and known or which should be known to the vendor must be included in the contract.  The vendor cannot crystal ball gaze so all those things he or she are aware of must be included.  If their knowledge does not extend to other matters what then is the position?

For example at the moment the HTL from Flaminville down the Manche has not yet been published.  Thus should the vendors then say there is a HTL coming down from the North but we do not know and neither does anyone else save for the authorities known its route. Or should they say nothing.  I know the position UK law wise but for the French codes?

rdgs

You can't hide any defects that you know about.

Therefore, if you know that your house is subsiding, and there are cracks showing, you can't plaster over them and expect to get away with it. If you know there is a problem then you have to tell the buyer.

As always, the problem for a buyer will be to prove that the vendor knew of any problems. If they have been concealed (as in the example above)  then it might be easier but if there is no evidence that the problem has been concealed then it could be difficult to prove.

A lengthy legal battle is likely to ensue so buyer beware still applies. By the same token, buyers have the opportunity to commission a survey prior to making an offer.

The natural & technological risk statements are based on plans provided by the commune or the department. IIRC. The ones in my purchase deed were the result of searches by the Notaire plus a statement that the vendor knows of no risks that require insuring against.

I'm pretty sure they only relate to matters that involve risks of direct danger or damage, such as being on a flood plain or near a potential pollution source. The possibility of a line of pylons or a motorway being built nearby does not fall into this category.

[quote user="Lautrec"]Is it a fact that when you put your house on the market, you have to submit a report detailing any and every fault that the house might have, which is available for any potential buyer? Would like to know![/quote]

There is an in-depth article about the required diagnostics in the January 2007 magazine "Le Particulier" (€3.80)

A survey (not necessarily a full certificate of conformity) covering the drainage arrangements has been required in our particular area for several years now. We were one of the first to specify this, but it is required in most other areas now. So you can sell a house without the correct drainage arrangements, but the buyer has to be aware of this fact.

It makes sense. If fully legal septic tanks had to be installed - or, indeed, all faults listed - it would be impossible to sell or buy the sort of restoration projects that many British buyers are still seeking.

a survey of the drainage sounds like a good idea to me!

We knew we were on mains drainage, and although not sure of the exact route the drains took we knew where the pipes left the house and where they joined the mains at the road to assumed a straight-ish line between...

It wasn't until the roofer's crane-machine-thing drove over a hidden round concrete cover and fell in the hole that we realised that to connect us to the mains they'd taken the outflow from the existing tanks (there appear to be two tanks, not septic tanks as only 3' accross, but grease traps, whatever) and connected that to the mains!

Not just our house either - next door had a digger in recently and now have a round hole in their drive without a concrete lid...

I guess it makes treating the mains sewerage cheaper for the commune if it already arrives filtered!

Still not sure if we should be more careful about what we put in the system, in terms of chemicals, etc, though :)

• 3 weeks later...

I dont tell much in the way of problems when selling a house but I tell them as much as possible after the sale has gone through.

I do this when selling cars or whatever, I dont like to hide anything, I tried telling them everything prior to a sale but I never got the sale.

That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with our current house.
No, really.

Lee