do not forget your neighbours!

opas

For all you DIY enthousiasts, whether in france or UK, have a thought for your neighbours!

For the past 12 months we have had to put up with dust, cement residue being swilled down the street, banging, drilling , well you name it they hae done it.........including their 11pm barbecue so they could continue working till 2am in the morning,(well they need their sustinance these DIYers)

Yesterday our enthusiast starts digging up his garage floor at 8pm and continued quite happily untill 11pm, when challenged by your ex resident M L'Outcast, you would have thought we were the unsociable ones, with 3 members of their family all dishing out abuse.

Today drilling commenced at noon on the dot, one just has to smile doesn`t one[:)]

my head is done in, but no fear, they are due a baby in November, isn`t that the time of year every good woodman has to cut his wood to fit his fire with his chainsaw!

Oh and it is not just us who they are driving mad, but how ofter witll you get 80 year olds to shoo a dog off from taking a pee never mind have cross words with a neighbour.........but they tell us it anoys them and that they can hear them banging at all hours.

You are a bit upset about this, aren't you?  It seems to have affected your last paragraph!  I don't blame you.

Are they using noisy machinery out of doors at unsocial hours?  I can't remember the details but I think there are laws (natch) in France about the hours within which you are allowed to use noisy machinery (including lawnmowers) unless you are out in the sticks with no neighbours nearby.  I'm pretty sure you have to stop by something like 8.00pm at night and on Sundays only a couple of hours are allowed in the morning - 10 till 12 I think.  You could check at the Mairie.

About twice a year we get a circular from our Mairie with advice on this subject. Don't make a noise after 10pm and don't use lawnmowers etc on Sundays,Respect your neighbours and most importantly clean up after your dog!!! I believe there was also a note advising  us to respect the hours of repas.I hope he sent one to Ronald Mc.M. as the only rubbish we seem to get in the whole area, usually bears his logo.

Regards. B&B St.Malo

There was a reminder, from our local gendarme brigade,  in the local paper, that the rules in this part of the world for use of noisy machinery are 8:30am to 19:30 in the week, similar on Saturday but with a break from 12:00 to 15:00!!! and 10:00 to 12:00 only on a Sunday.

Nobody seems to take that much notice of the exact times but the convention seems to be to broadly respect the limits.

Assuming you have the same runles maybe a word with your local gendarmes might work if nothing else does?

I'm with Mrs O and l'outcast on this one, can't think of anything worse than inconsiderate neighbours. You seem to have drawn the short straw there. Glad we're somewhere comparatively quiet, both in France and at our maison secondaire in England where I am today. Mind you, I could very clearly hear the hymns being sung in the chapel this morning - don't they realise it's Sunday? [;-)] [:D]

Hello,

When I lived near Settle, an owner of a holiday home once complained about noise of my renovation...

I explained it drowned out the voices in my head and waved my drill at them...They left later that day but as the situation escallated I did spend a night in Skipton police station and did eventually end up with an A.S.B.O which enforced hours of renovation and limited my contact with certain neighbours.

So I finished in due course my renovation and put it up for sale. Sold to second viewer in days!

The day before my move, I emptied my freezer of the trout I had poached from the river Ribble with a crab line and a worm...That night I climbed onto my roof and made my way across the ridge and inserted half a dozen trout down the capped flues of the two most hated neighbours holiday homes... It was a warm May...

[quote user="Ty Korrigan"] I did spend a night in Skipton police station and did eventually end up with an A.S.B.O which enforced hours of renovation and limited my contact with certain neighbours. 

[/quote]

Seems a bit harsh.  How many hours a day were you forced to renovate and was this on your own house or some sort of community order/compensation order where you had to renovate said neighbour's house?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]And the bells! The bells! They made me deaf, you know!
[/quote]

And you have such big ears too!

Bells , I love `em, especialy when the ones at the Chateau , which I can see from my terrace,chime the hours, also used to love to listen to our local church in UK doing bell ringing in the evening.

Visit to the Maire tomorrow, he is at it again.........on look at the time, 7 pm don`t most folks sit down to a meal around about now, well those with school age children surely do. Oh I forgot, they already have one

of them and he can be heard frequently  asking "why the noise" or similar.

Oh well lets hope that when they have finished doing this up(it was not a wreck, but a decent house that they have completely changed to their specifications) that they put it on the market and go!

we went out our house last bank holiday weekend (move out permantently next weekend) and after the previous visit decided all we had time to do was to cut the grass. friday afternoon was fine , as was sat morning.  stop at lunhtime for neighbours benefit only to find that the whole family of our one and only neighbour would descend on them a short while later listening to me strimming away in the front garden. (they use their front garden as  their garden area with patio, gazebo etc..so out of guilt and the hope of building a respectful relationship with them, decided to put the all gardening equipment away. next day sunday. only one neighboor, not worth the risk.

that left about 3 hours monday morning to strim away, quickly pack up , head for calais and away.

being new to an area as well as a different country to me means that you should have respect for other people as the only way to gain respect for yourself !

in my opinion.

[quote user="Opas"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I have very small ears. Who are you thinking of?
[/quote]

have you looked at your avatar lately? on a par with your mouth!

[/quote]

Big Mouth

WADDYAMEAN??  I've got a cute little mouth. 

Sorry Opas, I think I am the only person in the world who thinks I am funny.  I really do.  I lay awake in bed laughing at myself.  In fact I am laughing at myself now.

You think you lot have problems. Only today we're all out in the garden having our lunch when our French neighbour starts shearing his sheep, shattering our peace with his clippers. Still I suppose we should be grateful, at least our neighbours are not Welsh, the activities with the sheep might have been different.

Chris

I'm here on the forum.