sanding plasterboard joints!

Dc

I 've got quite a lot of plasterboard joints to sand and was wondering if anybody could suggest an electric sander with dust extraction capable of doing the job. Any help greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

If you used jointing cement, have you tried going over the joints with a firm sponge[ preferably fixed to a flat piede of ply, with a handle in the middle ] If you slightly wet it or dip it in a very watery joint filler mix and go over the area in circular motion you should end up with a good flat finish.

Regards

It may be a bit late too suggest this but when I do plaster board joints I always apply 2 coats. I use a wide caulking blade and clean off any excess or spots immediately, let that dry and then apply a second, finer, coat, again cleaning off while still workable. Normally a light sand at most is all that is required after this. If you are painting with emulsion then any small imperfections will be highlighted and you can use a normal filler to finish off with. Sanding excessively will damage the paper finish on the board .

An electric sander may not be the best approach if you have a lot of joints to work through as they can be a little heavy and take out more than you intend leaving tapes showing. The best method is to invest in a pole sandaer, this is like a broom stick with an oblong head that sits on a ball joint and swivels in all directions for ease of use. You should get one for around fifty euros and theese are what the pro's use.....cheaper than a sander too.

hi

ok buy a 6" random orbital sander you can get a cheapie from lidel for €30 and plug it in to your "hoover" but..... after 20 mins your wrist will go numb with the vibration and the bearings will get goosed with the dust but it will work and give you a good finnish, ok i`ve got a metabo dual orbit one i brought over from the uk and a trend dust extrator but same dog different hairs ,but you can use it al day.

for the first coat use lutece 2000l plaster with a small riving knife let it dry (2 hours ) and then use the extra fine . if you have very large gaps fill these first with somthing like joker plaster but beware this sets very quick so donnot mix too much .

the giraffe is the best way to go but if you are on a budget !!!!!!!!

dave

The notices in Leroy Merlin,Castorama and Bricodepot about not suitable for plasterboard are only so that the do not have to meet guarantee claims when the things eventually clog and burnout. Lydl sanders etc are very good but they only come in once a year so in can be a long wait till they are back in stock You should get enough sanding to do at least a room probably an entire house. In theory if you need more than a hand held sanding block then you are not getting the jointing compound on correctly. But in theory I should be rich.

If you can get someone to bring it in from Enland. I normally use a a finish called 'Scrim' it's pree mixed and cheap it will fill the gap but when cured is so soft you can almost rub it off with your hands, or light sand paper will do, it  will then take paint no problem.Stick out tongue [:P]