Paying the final installment to the Builder

saffy

Our builder started our renovation in May and said it would take 8-12 weeks, he then took loads of time off the job to start other works though has done a good job of the work he has done, however, he is still not finished and blaming his plasterer etc, and is now saying he would like the final installment even though it may take another 3 weeks to complete (according to him).  I am unhappy about paying the final monies as I feel I have no leverage if he does not finish, Do you think it unreasonable of me to withold the final payment until completion or sensible.  I am quite happy with the work so far, just disheartened by the delays and having to put off moving all the time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanx  Saffy

[quote user="saffy"]

he is still not finished and blaming his plasterer etc, and is now saying he would like the final installment even though it may take another 3 weeks to complete (according to him). [/quote]

Quite simple, dont pay him !!

My money would stay in the bank until the work was finished as promised.  Our builder has so far sent each bill for payment, well in advance of the actual work being completed.  Tough!  Didn't get a penny until we felt the work had been completed - as agreed[Www]

I have just had a new roof installed by a French roofer recommended by the locals. He expected 30% when he started, 30% at the halfway point and presented a bill for the remainder when he had finished. The French builder who rebuilt our chimney also waited until he had finished before presenting his bill. I suggest you keep hold of your money and tell him he will get it when the work is finidhed and not before.

Boris