Converting the attic and lining the inside of the roof

Pete-Normandy

pete, if the conversion is  going to be habitable room, then plasterboard is generally used so it can be taped and jointed, or plastered to give a finish ready for decorating. ply will not give you a very good finish for painting on.whatever you use be careful when nailing anything especially if you have oak rafters.

you will have loads of slipped tiles 

ive just watched some professional decorators use plywood and got an amazing finish on an exterior shop front, i think they used "Tout Pret Gras Enduit a Laquer", (or at least that is what i have noted the name as beeing after talking to them, hopefully i shall be able to find it when i go looking) before painting. this is a putty like compound available in tins it is applied with a flat trowel and then sanded after painting the finish is like glass i was impressed it looked reasonably straight forward although time consuming i think they used two  coats of enduit and sanded each coat it can be used up to 5mm thick, and i bet its expensive, the finish is very good the only thing im not sure about myself forusing plywood on the ceiling is whether it contravenes any fire or safety regs be interesting to find out cos ide like to do the same thing maybe

We have plywood in between our beams in the main living room. We are starting renovations next week and have been thinking about this. It will be a very time consuming job so if there was something that could be used, I would love to know about it.

The product that you mention that has a lacquer appearance would not be suitable for our interior room. But I have wondered why plywood cannot be plastered over. At the moment they are painted and where there are joins the paint has peeled and looks as if there has been a few attempts in the past to repair and paint over without success. (wish there was a rolling eyes smiley)

hi

ok i still have to use a "spot board" when i plaster or render unlike the french way straight owt the bucket , to clean my spot board after an idle day i just hit it a few times with a hammer and all the dry plaster falls off , try that on placo

dave