Wanted - a basic guide to electrics

P

Been searching for info on electircs. Found som of the answers but would it be nice to have a 'sticky' that details things such as colours to be used, size, max number of sockets etc so as to be an easy refrence? I would certainly value it. Any of you experts care to compile one?

Have looked at a number of books on renovation etc in the UK and this seems to be an area that authors leave alone.

Paul 

Yes if it's Ok with Forum Admin , I don't mind compiling some kind of Topic list with the basic items and regulations.  I've been familiar with the French wiring regulations since I bought my property here over 17 years ago. I have now been working here in France with the French system now for over 10 years and have a full working hardcopy of the French NFC 15-100 Regulations, and a good working knowledge of them, but I am always learning  as I go as the regulations are updated and evolve ! 

Paul Punchard.

Ets PUNCHARD.

I found the following in 'Leclerc' and is simple enough for me to use and understand. Plenty of diagrams and photos.

'L'electricite pas de pas', ISBN 2-7372-4119-7,  by Hartmann, Laurent and Zenner, about 7-8euros if I remember rightly, and covers the new legislation that came into force last year.

They do quite a range of books and have a website, www.saep.fr

Hope this helps

Aitch

[quote user="Punch"]

Yes if it's Ok with Forum Admin , I don't mind compiling some kind of Topic list with the basic items and regulations.  I've been familiar with the French wiring regulations since I bought my property here over 17 years ago. I have now been working here in France with the French system now for over 10 years and have a full working hardcopy of the French NFC 15-100 Regulations, and a good working knowledge of them, but I am always learning  as I go as the regulations are updated and evolve ! 

Paul Punchard.[/quote]

If you could emulate Opal Fruit's magnus on heating and plumbing, that would be an awesome, and much consulted knowledge source!

If it is possible to again copy Opal, and employ some pictures to make it all clear and give the French language names of all various cvommon bits and pices, then that would be ideal.

A work of some magnitude, I fear![blink]

As with all such reference sources, forum members would add new bits of information, questions, suggestions and comments, as it progressed; which is, of course on of the core values of such things.

[quote user="Punch"]

Paul Punchard.

Ets PUNCHARD.

[/quote]

Excellent idea Paul - I hope it gets off the ground.

I, like Paul, am an electrician - although for nothing like as long - and I I have learnt alot from him (even if he does not know it!).

If you need any help setting it up, let me know.

I can second The Build Doctor's recommendation for L'installation electrique. I have this book and find it easy to follow.

Paul - this sounds an excellent idea. Many of us will be in your debt if you can manage this.

Have you thought of writing an English language book on French electrical installation work? The number of Brits carrying out work on their homes in France must now be high enough to make it worthwhile for a publisher.

[quote user="Alane"]

Have you thought of writing an English language book on French electrical installation work? The number of Brits carrying out work on their homes in France must now be high enough to make it worthwhile for a publisher.

[/quote]

Yes I have, but at present I have the knowledge but not the know how! Anyone who can help on the publishing side please PM me! Translation is not a problem as my technical French is very good and I speak reasonably fluent French.

I got quite a lot of help from this forum and have recently passed Consuel on the first flat that I am building.

It was only after doing this that I discovered the "French electrics glossary" anchored at the top of this page which is really usefull, I only wish that I had found it earlier.

Anything that Punch does can only be a good addition to the above but make sure that you dont cover the same ground twice.

Is it only me that doesn't see something that is in front of my eyes every day?

I have two books,
"L'Electricite pas a pas" as mentioned here, and,

"Maitriser l'Electricite", both bought from Leclerc for about €6 each. Plenty of good diagrams and easy text.

Only thing I've NOT found in them was a detailed description of the difference between a type A and a type AC, RCD., which I've now found out, partly off here, partly from a UK sparky.

My plumber, who is also an electrician, looked at them closely, and pronounced both sound..

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

I have two books,

"Maitriser l'Electricite", both bought from Leclerc for about €6 each. Plenty of good diagrams and easy text.

Only thing I've NOT found in them was a detailed description of the difference between a type A and a type AC, RCD., which I've now found out, partly off here, partly from a UK sparky.

My plumber, who is also an electrician, looked at them closely, and pronounced both sound..

[/quote]

I too wondered about the difference between a type A and AC but explainations don't give any real clues.

I know the type A is for washing machines and electric hobs but nowhere does it explain what the reason for their choice is.

Both the AC and A have differential and over current detection but what is it about an electric hob and/or a washing machine that makes a type A a special requisite?

[quote user="fulcrum"][quote user="Ford Anglia"]

I have two books,

[/quote]

I too wondered about the difference between a type A and AC but explainations don't give any real clues.

I know the type A is for washing machines and electric hobs but nowhere does it explain what the reason for their choice is.

Both the AC and A have differential and over current detection but what is it about an electric hob and/or a washing machine that makes a type A a special requisite?
[/quote]

OK here is a brief explanation;

Houses today are equipped more and more with domestic appliances which include electronic speed variation likely to generate small DC (direct current ) faults to earth.(variable speed increase washing machines for instance).

The Type A disjoncteur differentielle should be used on dedicated circuits (such as the aforementioned appliance) and also for electric induction hobs, cookers, washing machines, whose operation could produce residual DC currents. These type A breakers, whilst still giving you protection from earth fault currents, stop nuisance tripping of the device when these types of appliances are in use.

The standard type, AC would be used on all other circuits ( prises de courant, lumieres, etc etc).

Paul Punchard.

Fair enough.  Don't bother. 

I just thought that maybe you didn't know it was possible to post a short link rather than distort the forum page format - some people new to the forum don't know that.

As long as we can see your link perhaps it's not that important for people to be able to read easily the other posts from Paul (Punchard), Nick, Alan, Gluestick, Aitch, Ford A, Fulcrum and JR.