Home made shower stall

Lindnarden

The wife, in her infinite glory and wisdom, wants a huge walk in shower in the en-suite (for en-suite, read cold empty pit of doom) As I cannot find or afford a shower tray of the prerequisite size - ie  c. 1m x 1.50m - my intention was to construct something.

The plan was to make a wooden frame for the base fixed securely to the wooden floor and two stone walls (ie in the corner) such that the plumbing gubbins can go underneath, cover it with those water resistant panel thingies and then tile over it. Is this likely to work or is the probability that I will get some movement on the wooden floor and thus leakage ??

Is there a more sensible way round this ?????

[:D]

[quote user="Lindnarden"]Forgive me if I'm being an idiot but would the membrane go under the boards (ie above the level of the floor) or over the area of floor covered by the frighteningly shoddy hand fashioned shower tray[/quote]

I'm a very amateur diyer but I always find that if you go and look at the catalogue issued by Lapeyre (www.lapeyre.fr) they have lots of useful project work throughs for exactly the type of work you are attempting. They seem to be nationwide if you look on their website.

I have seen one  as a  display  in B&Q made from the coloured glass blocks they sell in Brico Depot and the like ....They are not really expensive come in clear... blue ...golden sort of colour  and they look OK built with the white waterproof  cement stuff you  get to use with it ....If you can lay a brick you may be able to build one any size you want. I worked out that one would cost about 100 E in blocks....You can get curved blocks for the corners....  make it look a bit better....

You can buy 80 cm by 120 cm shower bases for under 90 Euros. Explain that if she wants any bigger than that she must be sharing the shower with Bibbendum and Mr Blobby simulataniously.

Joking aside we occasionally use a friends disabled  friendy Gite which has a wet room. A very real pain to dry floor, or simply go to the toilet without dirty shoe prints everywhere. I think she should test drive a wet room / shower that size before being too sure she wants one.

Thanks all for the useful advice - where can I purchase this über cheap giant shower tray - the young feller me lad pictured below is from Lapeyre 120x80 but comes in at €220

[img]http://www.lapeyre.fr/Lapeyre/site/b_produits/webgme/picture/fr/vignette/008538.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Lindnarden"]

Thanks all for the useful advice - where can I purchase this über cheap giant shower tray - the young feller me lad pictured below is from Lapeyre 120x80 but comes in at €220

[img]http://www.lapeyre.fr/Lapeyre/site/b_produits/webgme/picture/fr/vignette/008538.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Page 133 - April 2006 Brico Depot Cataloge

NF Receiveur Gres a Poser - Emaile sure 3 Surfaces 80 by 120 Euris 118.03

Receiveur "Oleron" Carre Acrylic a poser - vendu avec bonde grande debit de 90 mm - 80 by 120 Euros 83.84

You're very lucky Lindarden if your wife is willing to accept this much smaller walk in shower. She originally specified an area of 1.50 metres but you now assume she'd be willing to settle for 0.96 metres squared!

Aren't we men lucky that most women know nothing about size.

Brico depot ...80 X 120  Receveurs "Oleron " acrylique..... avec bonde  is 83E84    or you can get the heavy ceramic  one for a bit more ...which is what  I would do ...same size ...122E 18  just in case you want it to take two of you at the same time as previously suggested .