Replacing windows

P

We replaced ours and did not have to obtain a permit for it.  If you are adding a window, you must have the permit, but here, if you are simply replacing old single glazed windows with new double glazed ones, there is no permit required.

Correct, however if you are not replacing like for like by way of the same materials, colour and number of panes and you live either within 300m of a monument historique or in a national park, you should seek permission first from the mairie in writing. We have had people here in the centre of the village been made to remove PVC shutters because they did not match all the wooden ones and the dark colour.

Hi Paul, we bought an old school and although we could change what windows we wanted on the interior, we had to have permission to change the school windows that face the road and they have to look exactly the same when finished but we can have pvc, so worth checking with mairie beforehand.

Kimberly 17

I think unless the windows you are replacing are absolutely disgusting and out of keeping, it is always a good idea to replace like with like, at least appearance-wise. You see so many examples, in France as well as Britain, of inappropriate styles of windows for the building. Even something like a typical British 1930s semi can be visually ruined by fitting mock-Georgian panes or leaded lights, when it would be so easy to keep the style (though a good idea to change the material) of the original steel-framed windows.

[quote user="Will"]I think unless the windows you are replacing are absolutely disgusting and out of keeping, it is always a good idea to replace like with like, at least appearance-wise. You see so many examples, in France as well as Britain, of inappropriate styles of windows for the building. Even something like a typical British 1930s semi can be visually ruined by fitting mock-Georgian panes or leaded lights, when it would be so easy to keep the style (though a good idea to change the material) of the original steel-framed windows.[/quote]

Absolutely - well said that man!

Ours have all been replaced with white uPVC, exactly matching the style, number of panes etc of what was there. In fact if you look at "before" and "after" photos, you can only tell they're done because the light reflects differently from the double glazed ones. Oh, and the lack of flaky apint[;-)]

Our Mairie told us to just get on with it, unless we wanted a NEW opening somwhere.

Personally, I absolutely hate UPVC glazing!

My windows (in France) are hardwood and whilst needing painting (a previous owner covered 'em in green paint!) there is nothing wrong and no rot. I am gradually routing out the glazing rebate and installing double glazed inserts. French windows seem to be far deeper than UK versions and thus there is plenty of space for a generous airgap and still enough meat left in the frame to be secure.

The units cost me just £12 per side. (basis two casements per window).

When finished they will look traditional and will last for a number of years to come: and won't have cost me anywhere near the cost of new windows, plastic or wood!

Finally, I will strip off the urgggh green paint and finish with clear varnish (non-gloss) to match the new shutters.

There does seem to be a sort of ethos of junking perfectly servicable kit, which goes against my ecological spirit!

• 4 months later...
Hi Gluestick

We are interested in fitting double glazed units into our existing wood framed windows.  Could you tell me where you purchased your doubled glazed units, and if possible the depth required in the frame to install them?  I have found loads of suppliers for complete windows but so far no joy for units alone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Mine were made up by one of my clients, who are a double glazing manufacturer/installer.

Any reasonable glazier involved in double glazing can make these up for you: they are simply two panes of glass, held apart by an ally spacer and then glued with an adhesive strip.

The air gap is to choice: the bigger the gap the great the U (insulation factor).

The bigger the better! Mine were (from memory!) circa 12 m.m. airgap and  2 X 10 m.m. glass.  However, of course, in practice, the gap is predicated by how much "meat" you have in your windows; bear in mind that you need to fit a glazing bar on top of the external glass (normally), both to retain the units and weather proof the window.

This glazing bar will be either quad moulding or triangular: and then normally you have to fit the neat cross frames to make the one pane look like for or six! (Although these can be fitted separately and sit on top).

Hope it goes well.