Solar power to keep the damp away?

andiane

Hello, list

Although I have been reading this forum for a couple of years, this is the first time I have posted, so I hope I am doing it right !

We have a holiday home in 17, and are able to get over 4 or 5 times a year. Our problem is that even using those big tablets in baskets we still have quite a damp atmosphere when we open up the house. This manifests as mould on the bedframe and on things like the breadboard.

I am sure that it should be possible to buy something that uses solar power to 'air' the house, or even run a low power heater to help solve this problem? Does anyone know of such a device?

I am hoping that someone can make a suggestion as in spite of quite a lot of research on the internet I have been unable to find anything. I suspect that in France there are likely to be more solar things available for obvious reasons.

Hopeful, andiane

Am sick of finding everything "green" in the wrong sense of the word when we go over! So I have resorted to leaving heaters on on timers to see if that makes a difference! I will let you know if it does.

I can imagine how irritating this must be!

I may be wrong but I think the answer is ventilation rather then heating. I'm sure someone will be along soon to put me right! I think that when you heat up the air it increases it's capacity to hold moisture, so that may partially help, but it will still condense on those cold surfaces such as outside walls. What you really need is to get rid of the water-laden air. Perhaps an extractor working on a timer would be more efficient (and cheaper) than a heater?

Sid

I'm sure the answer is a VMC (mandatory in modern properties). I have never seen a damp house with one running.

As to whether one could use solar power to run it, I don't know - probably not, because they are about 60W and must run 24/7 - the power installation would be very expensive, even if the VMC was not.

If you are worried about leaving your mains on when you are not there (ask your insurance company whether they actually want it turned off), then you could arrange a second tableau with a supply to the VMC (and your freezer, perhaps).

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]

Like this perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOLAR-POWERED-FAN-VENTILATOR_W0QQitemZ140145152646QQihZ004QQcategoryZ122909QQcmdZViewItem

That does look very interesting. We have the same problem. The house was vacant for over a year before we bought it and it had loads of those wispy spiders. So when we left it the first time I closed off the four vents that are around the house on the exterior walls thinking it would keep the spiders at bay. Well, when we returned a few months later there weren't many spiders but the house was very damp, so much so that some of the walls were actually wet.

From then on I leave the vents open and the house is much dryer on our return. But I would like to have more ventilation and the one that Tandem Pilot has shown does look interesting. Is it possible to fit it into a stone wall? It is hard to see in the photo but I assume behind the solar panels there are openings for the air to escape. If this would work it does sound very effective and there would be no worry about leaving the electrics on.

[/quote]

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]

Like this perhaps?

[/quote]

I'd suggestthat the OP blows 20 quid and tries one.

However, it gives no indication of the capabilities if the thing, so I'd ask myself a) does it have storage so that it will work 24Hrs? b) how many would you need to ventilate a house? The most you are going to get out of solar panel that size is about 1W - implying that you would need over 50 to replace a VMC?

A VMC costs about 50ā‚¬

Speaking of kitchen and bathroom ventilation, these look wonderful. I have seen them used to bring in the natural light into a room but didn't realise they had models that offered ventilation as well. I don't know what the costs are but will definitely look into it when we have our two upstairs bathrooms done even though there are windows. 

Click on the photo to see how they work and the design.

http://www.sola-vent.com/?gclid=COrbybWZ7Y0CFQFRMAodihPsug

A disadvantage with some of these solar vents is air coming in and going out thro' the same vent-only ventilates within a few feet of the vent;it would be better if just extract-this would set up an airflow thro' the property.

My brother, who lives near Bordeaux, has a VMC fitted throughout the house, not a solar powered one, just electric. He doesn't run it 24/7 just when he feels it necessary, and his house is lovely and dry, but, of course,  he lives there all the time. ( lucky sod ) which I think is the answer! Anything to get the OH out there soonest!!!

Many thanks everyone for your thoughts on our problem.  I agree that maybe better ventilation would help. I think part of the problem is a shower room without any windows.  We fitted an extractor fan last autumn, but I don't think it is helping much, as we turn off the power when we are not there.

The extractor on ebay looked interesting, we could install it in a hall way which connects to the shower room - I wonder how big an area it would effect?

Will have a think about this and see what OH says.

andiane

Many houses suffer from damp conditions, I would certainly advise against leaving heaters on and house shut up for long periods, as the warm moist air will have nowhere to go, and as you are probably aware moisture and heat = mould, and lots of it. I have several clients, who have (or had) this problem, and if you have shutters on your windows there is a very simple, and free solution. If you have roller shutters, leave them about an inch (2.5cms) from touching the cills, and using a couple of small screws and wire(or hook and eye) leave the windows slightly ajar so that will allow air to circulate. If you have the shutters that fold, usually they already have ventillation slats, if not, drill some neat holes, and again fix your windows in a slightly open position. For all those that think leaving your roller shutters slightly open is a huge risk, try to lift them from the outside, to make sure they cant be raised in your absence. If they can be raised from the outside, fix them in place just before you leave.

One clients house was so bad, that they were considering selling it, so used this method, and now, the house is perfectly dry every time they come out, as they say, its a totally different house, and they don't spend the first 2 days cleaning the mould.

Hope this helps you and maybe others.

[quote user="andiane"]I have been trying to work it out, but failed - what is a VMC, please ? !![/quote]

Ventilation MƩcanique ContrƓlƩe - a fan in a box with several inlets, that you would normally run to the kitchen, bathrooms and shower room (although they usually have enough inlets to allow you to cover the living rooms, too). Slow-moving (but twin-speed, sometimes automatic on a humidity sensor) fan that outlets through a 125mm hose to somewhere outside, usually through the roof. They are normally installed in the attic space.

Mandatory on new builds (and they must run 24/7) they are the best way of keeping any property dry. Mandatory on any properties with gaz de ville and common sense where you have bottled gas.

"Many thanks everyone for your thoughts on our problem.  I agree that maybe better ventilation would help. I think part of the problem is a shower room without any windows.  We fitted an extractor fan last autumn, but I don't think it is helping much, as we turn off the power when we are not there."

andiane

I have to agree with Nick T and suggest a VMC is the best solution. We too have a shower room with no window and since fitting the VMC and leaving it on 24/7 even when we are not there I have to say that  it works a treat.

Jo

I think it will depend on space and access. I am sure Nick T or one of the technical people on here would be able to tell you.

Our VMC was fitted retrospectively luck was on our side and they were able to put the VMC in the loft space above the shower room and access it from there.

[quote user="Jo"]How easy are they to fit retrospectively? If at all possible!
[/quote]

As BN says, it all depends on access. Most of the ones I have fitted have been done in renovations, it is not usually too onerous a task, especially if you have a loft. The most difficult bit is fitting the outlet, which tends to be 125mm in diameter and must go outside.

Inlet pipes in ceilings are dead easy.