Winterising the House

Simon

We have just bought our (newly built) dream holiday home (and one day retirement home) in the Moyen Var near Cotignac/Lorgues.  I now get sleepless nights thinking about "what ifs" (being new to this arms-length ownership) and frozen pipes is the currently the worst.  We lagged the pipes in the garage and have turned off the water in the garage, opened all the taps in the house to drain the system, left the heating on low, so I think the house should be OK.  However I am worried about the pipes up to the stop-cock in the garage.  They are black plastic and go outside to a sump and then about 150m (underground) to the Meter on the road below (which the developer has not yet shown me although I intend to find out next visit in 2-weeks time).

1) Does anyone know if these feeder pipes are freeze resistant - ie will they "expand" if the water becomes frozen rather than burst (as copper pipes can)

2) Should there be a stop-cock at the meter?  If so I can turn this off so feeder pipes do burst at least it will only be apparent when I turn the water back on. 

3) Is there anything else I should do (eg leave an Infra-red light on in the garage)

Any experience gratefully received.

Simon

Don't think you've got to much to worry about way down there.

It takes (usually) several days of sub-zero temps for pipes to freeze and although you might dip below zero overnight the temp will rise in the day and all will be fine.  Even leaving the heating on is a waste.  I'm Up Horth and it does get very cold sometimes, I had a new boiler installer and asked if I should leave it on in winter ' Mais non! was the reply, it is far too expensive!  I will explain to your neighbour and she will turn it on if it gets very cold'  Very nice I thought and yes, my neighbour does pop in when it is really cold but probably only 3 or 4 times a year.  As for the plastic pipes, firstly the are most unlikely to freeze buried that deep and yes they will expand and not split.

Don't worry, be happy[:D]

I think you will find there is a stopkock at the meter on the water supplier side . There is on mine ....there  should also be  a drain tap just on the property side of the meter so that after you turn off the supply you can drain off into the ground all the water in the pipe up to your property. In my case I just turn all the taps open including the garden tap and all pipes up from the  water company meter  end up air filled .....

I am not far south of you (Collobrieres, Var) and I just shut off at the stop cock next to the water meter and open the taps downstairs. Even that is overkill as although we get hard frosts they have never been bad enough to freeze pipes (so far!!)

Hope you enjoy Cotignac - a very nice village I have visited often.

Andy

• 4 months later...

Hi Simon

Did you ever get you frozen pipe problem solved.

I have a ski chalet in Camurac (Pyrennes)  and every year whilst i am away i get burst pipes even when i drain the system down there seems enough lying in the pipes to freeze. I also think my pipes have been soldered and not brazed as they do in France. I think the solder is braking down with the cold temperatures.Does'nt help that the pipes are 10mm and not 15mm which we use in the UK.

My mains comes in in large black plastic pipe but i have a stop .... under ground in a hole in the garage. I have seen many french houses where the mains tap is under ground. I have never had a problem with the mains black pipes just all the copper in the garage ceiling.

Hope this helps but if you have cured your problem please let me know how??

Regards

Len

Len

We had no problems during the winter but I think it's not going to get as cold in the Var as the Pyrenees.  I bought a min/max thermometer and the coldest it got in the garage was +3C.

Rgds

[quote user="Len"]

I have a ski chalet in Camurac (Pyrennes)  and every year whilst i am away i get burst pipes even when i drain the system down there seems enough lying in the pipes to freeze. I also think my pipes have been soldered and not brazed as they do in France. I think the solder is braking down with the cold temperatures.Does'nt help that the pipes are 10mm and not 15mm which we use in the UK. [/quote]

Burst pipes: hmmm................

Are these actually "Burst Pipes", or is it actually, that the joints come apart?

Burst pipes are the result of a pipe filled with water freezing and the ice - having a greater volume than the original water - splits the pipe.

I would suggest that you ask your plumber to fit drain taps so that you can drain nearly all the standing water.

Yes, brazed joints are stronger; but a good soft soldered joint is pretty robust.

French joints are not pre-loaded with solder and many are pretty poor: as I found out after a bad French plumber fitted my ballon and extended the hot water feeds.