wood fired heating and hot water

Normandie

I'd love to know if anyone has got good heating and hot water from a wood fired system - I think it is the best option for us as we have plenty of wood and would not need to worry so much about the increasing cost of electric, gas or oil.

Thank you in advance ...

A good friend has wood burners plus a bi-fuel stove in the kitchen (both wood and charbon) which heats the water and part of the house.

The other two wood burners heat the rest of his rambling old farmhouse, but only used when the weather is very cold. In the North, near us and it does become cold. He and his wife and kids are very hardy types: as is the pony who keeps trying to sneak into the kitchen!

Trouble is one needs a large storage facility and access to good aged wood of the correct type. If one thinks about it, then it is quickly realised that the whole cycle time can be nearly four years: i.e. "new" wood aging for two years; and aged wood to burn, since one doesn't burn all of the two year old dried wood immediately!

At our last house we had a Rayburn wood-burning stove installed which gave us plenty of hot water, sufficient to run four radiators (there was capacity for two more) and all our hot water, and also cooking facilities.  As back-up - and for summer days when you didn't want the Rayburn on - we had an electric water heater as well. 

With good wood, it provided plentiful hot water.  One batch of not-so-good wood meant that we had to constantly top up the firebox in order to get the heat we required.  But with good wood, you could put in a couple of logs and leave it for hours and even through the night.  Downside - can be fiddly and temperamental.  But it really made the house a home and became the 'heart' in the house ... we're planning on getting another installed at our new place.

[quote user="nectarine"]

As back-up - and for summer days when you didn't want the Rayburn on - we had an electric water heater as well. 

[/quote]

You dont really want to have to use the Rayburn for cooking in summer either, that means having a second cooker -gas or electric, which in turn means having a kitchen big enough for the additional cooker.

You could of course live on cold meals all summer [:)]

As the previous posts have said, the secret is the availability of good wood.

In our area wood is readily available but it’s the lighter faster growing varieties, locating good quality material that will keep the fire in overnight or when we go out is becoming more difficult, and more expensive, every year.

Thank you for all you replies ...

Our house is not yet habitable so we have plenty of time to start 'harvesting' the wood and getting it stored correctly to dry out so that we can start with 4 year old wood!

We've got plenty of space to store the wood and enough room in the kitchen for another cooker so I'm sure this must be the answer for us.

I know Rayburn is a good make - would I need to look for the French equivalent?  Do you add 'modern' radiators to the system or the old thick victorian type?

The main draw back I can see that it's not great if we arrive to a freezing cold house for long weekends but then I guess we'll just have to avoid arriving late at night so we've got the day to get things going.

Thanks ... hope you are all having a great weekend!

I have to add that we did have an additional cooker in the kitchen, fuelled by bottle gas, for a quick meal or for summer use.  The radiators that we put on to the Rayburn were the modern ones and did a lovely job - the house was the warmest in the village!  Hope this advice helps!

[quote user="Normandie"]

Thank you for all you replies ...

Our house is not yet habitable so we have plenty of time to start 'harvesting' the wood and getting it stored correctly to dry out so that we can start with 4 year old wood!

We've got plenty of space to store the wood and enough room in the kitchen for another cooker so I'm sure this must be the answer for us.

I know Rayburn is a good make - would I need to look for the French equivalent?  Do you add 'modern' radiators to the system or the old thick victorian type?

The main draw back I can see that it's not great if we arrive to a freezing cold house for long weekends but then I guess we'll just have to avoid arriving late at night so we've got the day to get things going.

Thanks ... hope you are all having a great weekend!

[/quote]

IMHO there is no French equivalent of a Rayburn - nothing as good anyway!

Regarding arriving late to a cold house - I'm sure once you get to know people you will have a nice neighbour who'll light the stove ready for your arrival.[:)][;-)]

We are following the consensus of opinion round us in the Charente that you need different heating for different seasons. Firstly wood, for low initial installation and running cost which would cope with some winter and most spring and autumn temperatures (we have bought a bakers oven which is a fraction of the cost of rayburn, cooks, heats and can do a simple rad system, see http://www.nectre.co.uk/index.php?page=baker-s-oven).
We are torn between geo therm heat exchange or oil for underfloor heating should we need it in the winter.
Oil is not so crazy as it sounds since the cost of installing geotherm is a so much more than an oil system, which is then programmable to run as you want it, even in advance of your arrival and could be run on the difference in cost for many years. Finally one of the better electric heat exchangers which also does air conditioning, this combination should cover just most eventualities!

[8-|] If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.

The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists whereas
the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…

We are installing an old Quebb stove with back boiler we reckon its output is about 16kw at full chat we are putting a slab in the hanger where it is going so likely will put an underfloor matrix in along with a dhw indirect cylinder once I find a suitable mains pressure one with immersion that we can allow to run off peak. We will have stand by electric heating also.

We will make a real effort to insulate the place and get good passive ventilation I suspect this is the secret to being toastie.

I am also looking at BMS (Building management systems) I like the idea of dialing in while I am over here and switching on the electric heating if need be

Thanks John & Sue and Big Mac

I also like the idea of underfloor heating ... it's lovely and also like the idea of programming from home (UK) - and any gadgets are sure to get my OH more interested!

Geothermal - not looked into that yet - tho' we do have the space ...

Lots of options aren't there but back ups and choices are a good thing so that it really suits what you want, throughout the year.  In our experience (Normandy) we've enjoyed log fires in the evening during August anyway!

As you say insulation is very important and we will have new concrete fully insulated floors so I'm sure that will help - having said that there is also the cheaper wood floor option - argh - too many decisions to make!  Still once I start making a few decisions I'm sure I'll feel better - won't I ?!

A la prochaine

Why not try Evacuated Tube solar system in conjunction with the wood burner. If oyu have the under floor heating option available then you can preheat the water from the sun (even when its as cold as today) and the wood stove has only to top it up and do the night (no sun)

As a renewable energy source, you cannot get a better combination than this, and it will cover all the bases. By that I mean that you get some heat into the house even when you are not there to light the fire. Also you can come home to a hot shower and you've use no electricity.

We all have to look harder at the way we consume and its getting more urgent to make the change to consume less, hopefully with no drop in lifestyle.

Andrew

And while you're at it, Andrew, how's it going with the heat store? On a thread w-a-y back I seem to remember you mentioning it, but no details were forthcoming for those of us thinking of going down the same path.

Nothing like picking the brians of an expert [:D]

p

We have an old (1970's) wood fired boiler in the outhouse which runs the heating and hot water, with an electric heater for summer hot water. It is incredibly efficient despite it's age, and once you get the knack, you can leave the system ticking over on very little wood if you are out or overnight. On the downside you waste the radiant heat from the boiler, but it does keep the utility (next to the boiler room) nice and warm in winter![:)] However, when it does need replacing, I like poolguy's suggestion, best of both worlds!

We were on the road from  Sainte Foy   La Grande yesterday and we came accross two young Frenchmen who had set up a buisness selling solar and wood burning systems plus some natural paints etc.This saturday they are having an Open House.

Interesting;one of the boys has a brother who has moved to London and is working in The City...who was, infact visiting the region this weekend and I got involved with recomending local Hotels etc.It seems to me that although this local young man may not get rich quick like his brother he has his feet firmly placed in the future.

Yes, I truely beleive that Solar has a great future thanks to a joint Australian/Chinese invention - the evacuated tube solar absorber.

This tube can absorb radiation (not just sunshine) all year round and will yield incredible outputs and best of all will not freeze in winter.

For example a small 47mm x 20 tube panel will yield 14kw - double that if you go to 58mm x 30 tubes.(maximum yield)

The net result is that you do not need a small football field full of collectors to get any heat worth noticing any more. One panel is enough for hot water for most of the year - 2 panels if you have a big family.

Its also now feasible to heat your house using these panels - I am just about to install 4 panels on my roof to retire the bulk gas burner that has been robbing us for years.

So if your rennovating or if you just tired of paying through the nose, it has got to be the first technology to get to know. The retro fit is very simple and you do not need the major works like geothermal. Just some south or southwest facing roof. PM me if you want more details.

Andrew

Andrew,

I am very interested in a diverse water heating system and I am looking at heat store with heat sources being:

wood boiler, elecricity, gas and solar (via panels and/or heat pump), 

outputs being DHW, CH, UFH.

I am very interested in the evacuated tube solar heat source which you promote but having seen similar, or even the exact same in Leroy Merlin I have concerns about their fragility in the weather which we experience most summers:  specifically severe hail storms (sufficient to dent cars and break roof tiles)

Do you have any thoughts ? 

best regards