Lapeyre

Rose

We've had a quote from Lapeyre for installing windows... and we were pleasantly surprised!  Has anyone any knowledge of Lapayre work?  The windows seem good (Classic Bois) but we have no first hand knowledge of their quality... but so far we're impressed with their servivce... any thoughts/comments welcome! [:D]

I've just looked at the thread and pics of that tiling. Oh my what a mess. A good amateur should have done a better job. I am a professional tiler hoping to move permanently from the UK to France in the next 12 months. Currently looking at Morbihan dept. Any comments on my plan greatly appreciated. In the meantime, if anyone has any tiling queries I would be only too happy to comment or advise.

Hi Richard, I have recently had some tiling done, you may have seen my post about this. I did notice that you have asked this question before so I thought I would just let you know what I have learned with my very limited experience with tilers here.

I know nothing of your chosen area and the opportunities you may find there, but it appears at least in our area they do more than tiling. The tiler we had to lay the stone floor for us is also a plaquist and plasterer. We used someone different on the micro bic (?) not sure if that is what it is called, but it is someone that earns below a certain threshold and they do not have to pay VAT. He tiled some walls in a loo and utility room for us. However, he said he does some masonry work and other odds and ends along with tiling. When I look up what he is registered for it says "Travaux de maconnerie generale".

Having said all of that, perhaps there are many people here that find plenty of work in tiling alone but perhaps this will give you something to think about. Best of luck with your plans and it is very kind of you to offer your expertise and advice on tiling. [:)]

Thank you WJT. I didn't see your post but will try and find it. I get this in the UK too where some people tend to be jack of all trades. I specialize in wall and floor tiling only though I can plaster, lay timber and laminate floors etc. I am also a trained stone and tile cleaner/restorer. I am looking at the area between Vannes and Rennes to ensure a decent sized population. We will be mortgage-free but still have to eat so I daresay in the first year or two I will do a variety of tasks until I get established.

in reply to the original question, we have new front windows and front door courtesy of Lapeyre.

No problems, very happy, all OK!

The chap who came to check the measurements pointed out that we could save over 30% by having square winows, as the opening was arched but apparently the existing windows were square on the inside. We did this, and the windows are good.

The "measure-you-up" chap also pointed out that we didn't need to replace like-with-like on the front door, and said to get a door that fitted rather than a door and window-light above - which was again 30% cheaper, so we did.

Turned out that the chap-who-measures for Lapeyre is also on their list for sub-contracters-that-fit, and he did the work. Can't complain - it's all good!

We got a local artisan to fit the windows and french windows on the back. Significantly cheaper, but we had to do the finishing coat of varnish/whatever, and the insulation in the double-glazing is not up to the same standard - these windows get condensation whereas the Lapeyre ones don't.

You get what you pay for, after all!

I have no knowledge of Lapeyre products or

installation. However, I suspect the "are they OK"

question may actually be impossible to answer with respect to the

quality of the work. I expect that like other nationwide companies

offering installation (e.g. Leroy Merlin) they do not employ the

artisans but effectively act as an agency or sub-contract the

artisans. Thus the workmanship you get e.g. to the south west of

your Lapeyre might be completely different to those north east as a

completely different artisan might be undertaking the work. If this

is the case you might find it difficult to check out the artisan who

will be doing the work as asking to visit other people who have had

windows installed might get you seeing work by a different artisan.

Have you tried getting quotes from local artisans

- even if you tell them the windows you want (they could probably buy

them as well and install them themselves). You would be good price

comparisons, they might suggest different suppliers - but you could

check-out those windows and probably get to see some the artisan had

installed. Plus Lapeyre would not be taking a cut of the costs.

Plus it would start to establish a relationship with a local artisan

so when you need e.g. some roof tiles replacing you would already

know somebody local and he might then just turn-up.

From my experience of artisans around me there are

some excellent ones (who do excellent reasonably priced work) and

some really terrible ones (questionable work, never turn-up, finish

years late and (try to) massively overcharge). Ask neighbours, etc.

and get recommendations. If you ask them about Lapeyre they may have

experience of a different guy doing their work then you would get.

Ian

It is just the same in the UK where home improvements are concerned. All the major companies, and a lot of the minor ones, use sub-conract fitters. That way, they dont have to pay wages when its quiet and can 'hire and fire at will. A good way is to find a product you are happy with and get a supply only price. Then get a recommended artisan to do the fitting.

Also just had a quote for replacement windows-1200euros fitting for 8 large windows-but tva at 5.5% and the possibility to claim back someof the material costs from the depot D,Impot, if fitted by "professionals" which is why the reduced TVA.Obviously some form of political " keep em in work" form of subsidy.   Maude

1200€ for 8 large windows (decent quality excl. fitting) would be a very good price.  However, 1200€ for fitting 8 large windows also seems quite high (5 man days work using local charpente rates which is 2 people for 2,5 days which is too long - though it probably depends on any difficulties.

Ian

1200 euro for 8 large windows, Now that is cheap.  Or should it be 12000 euro?? We are on the search for pvc replacements for windows upto 2.5 mtr * 2.5 mtr plus other very large sizes, (old school) with built in rollers, Getting a devis from a company called Tryba next week, has anyone used them or know of their quality?? Got a couple of local artisans also to quote.  Would be a great help if someone could PM the supplier for the 8 windows at 1200 e!  If anyone has any recommendations for anyone in the Gemozac/Saintes/Royan areas, then please drop me a line it would be greatly appreciated, 'cos whoever we use, its gonna hurt the pocket!![:D]

Many thanks

Kimberly 17

PS Sorry to hijack the thread!!

T clarify my earler post re the fitting of 8 windows-the price quoted was for fitting only @1200euros,the windows with roller shutters incorporated was for 5230 euros inc.fitting and tva at 5.5%.Local menuisiers have quoted between6200 and 7800 euros.   Maude

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would update everyone on our windows... fitted last week!  We did go to Lapeyre (Perigueux) in the end - 10 large windows and 2 french windows... all double glazed Classic Bois, cost 7300 euros in all. 

They turned up on the day agreed to measure, got us the devis within 3 days, agreed delivery date and installation.  The delivery was made on time and the fitter came last week as agreed.  No mess, no problems and they look fantastic... all rubbish and old windows taken away after.

What a difference they make... really really happy with the service and the windows [:D]