Oil Boilers

Simon

I have read through the FAQ, very helpful, but I still have a few queries.

Firstly, condensing boilers are more effiecient, and I am surprised that they are not found in France.  Is that still the case, or are the FAQs out of date?  Secondly, I am confused by the differences in the fuel types, there seems to be 28 or kerosene that is used in the UK but rare in France, then we have 32 or fioul, and lastly 35 or Mazout.  The latter 2 are from what I can glean from the posts here less efficient than 28, and run dirtier that I assume leads to an unhappy life constantly cleaning out burners?  Can anyone help me out and give me some advice on what system will give me a trouble free and efficient running?  I don't want to get bogged down in sizing the job and looking at alternatives, I just want some general information on what is available.  If I was in the UK I would be buying an external condensing oil boiler using kerosene, can I get something simular here?

regards

Simon

One of our neighbours has had a Chapee condensing boiler installed recently. It has the integrated domestic hot water 'ballon'. It's a very LARGE piece of kit, just a little smaller than the Tardis! Supposed to be very efficient, and there's the added bonus of a 40% tax refund on the cost of the boiler itself, subject to the usual conditions.

I don't know about the differences in fioul ratings; we always buy 'Premium' grade from Total; our 'chauffagiste' said it burns cleaner and in the long run is more economical.

I've just ordered some fioul for delivery this week.... are you sitting down....0.89€ per litre!!!! Exactly double what we paid in Sept 04.

Sid

[quote user="Simon"]I have read through the FAQ, very helpful, but I still have a few queries.

Firstly, condensing boilers are more effiecient[/quote]

A popular myth, I'm afraid.

A more accurate statement would be that "Condensing boilers can be more efficient, subject to specific application and useage".

The boiler manufacturer will predicate the fuel type in design. The only real decision that must be made is if the particular installation needs oil with an additive which prevents freezing ambient temperatures causing the oil to "Clump" and thus not pump and vapourise in the nozzle array.

"BP Superfioul" ™ for example does have a range of additives and is thus OK for use with external tankage.

Viessman make probably the best range of boilers on the Continent: Look Here

One valuable suggestion which many of us have learnt or are learning (!![:)]), is to fundamentally start from the beginning in France: "If I was in the UK I would be buying ": however you are not. You are in la belle France and they do things quite differently!

As one example, most opt for an electrically heated Ballon for hot water, running on cheap (night) rate electricity, as it is far cheaper to run than oil, which has now reached ludicrous cost: and is still rising.

Perhaps the most critical thing is research: look at all the options before making final decisions.

Bonne Chance !

Has anybody any upto date figures or a link to comparative heating costs ? We think we will shorty turn off the central heating, use our own wood fro spring and autumn and electricity for summer water heating but would like to check the maths of oil versus electrcity for ewater heating.