Where to Live in Dordogne Area

Help! I know that there are an infinite number of answers to this question, but that's my problem - too much choice. We are looking to move to the Dordogne area, want to be away from the main tourist areas, and have the opportunity to integrate into the local french community, but also want to know there is a reasonable British presence close by also. Any ideas and experiences would be most welcome!
Thanks

You really would have to visit the area just to look around and find out which areas appeal to you, then look at house prices. We've bought in the far north of Lot et Garonne, so we're only a few miles from Dordogne. There are a lot of British people with homes in this area, but they are still vastly outnumbered by French people! 

You need to explore the areas you are interested in, the dordogne is a large department and varies a great deal.  If you are considering buying a property in France, you will find expats everywhere, but some areas are more condensed than others.....that again is the same for all of France.  Where there are lowcost airlines flying to UK, you will find a high Brit population. 

[quote user="Chris T"]Help! I know that there are an infinite number of answers to this question, but that's my problem - too much choice. We are looking to move to the Dordogne area, want to be away from the main tourist areas, and have the opportunity to integrate into the local french community, but also want to know there is a reasonable British presence close by also. Any ideas and experiences would be most welcome!

Thanks[/quote]

Hi Chris,

It doesn't matter where you decide to settle sure enough there will be some who say their department is better - but that's their choice after all :)

If as you say you are planning to move to the Dordogne and want to avoid the tourist traps then you should look at the top half of the departement ie. north of Mussidan, Montpon. I've lived for 16 years in West Dordogne, my local town is Ribérac - the town isn't pretty or twee but it works and has most that you are likely to need including a well established English community from the surrounding villages. For a better range of shops Perigueux is half an hour away, Angoûleme 45 minutes and Bordeaux an hour and a quarter. As for integrating into the local french community well thats' down to you but it may well be easier if you live in a village or small town rather than in splendid isolation.

You need to be clear why you have chosen the Dordogne in the first place. What attracted you ? Which area of the Dordogne did you like in the first place ? Looking there seems to be a sensible idea. As someone else said, it's a big department.

As for other Brits there are few in the area where I live, but there seem to be plenty just over the border in the northern Lot.

Hoddy

Thanks to all for your comments and ideas. A bit of background: I'm looking for somewhere not as a permanent move (yet) but more like a few months a year in, probably spring and autumn, and some rental potential in the summer. Started looking early this year at Pyrenees area as I have done some walking in Pyrenees and liked the idea of variety of landscapes within reach as I am a keen walker and cyclist. Viewed a number of properties around PAU, but on reflection as the move is a bit of a trial thing, I wanted to be in an area where if it didn't work out, I could get rid of the property easily, which is why I dropped back to Dordogne region, which I have visited many times. Also guessed that summer rental opprtunities might be better in Dordogne.

[quote user="Chris T"]Also guessed that summer rental opprtunities might be better in Dordogne.[/quote]

I know of some people with gites in the Dordogne and they have problems renting out their properties for any decent income. I think there are huge numbers of gites in the area now and you may find that renting isn't as easy as you think.

I think that there is a climate divide between the north and south of the Dordogne. Chris T wants summer rentals so his holidaymakers will have more to see and do south of the river Dordogne, however the area around Riberac is greener and to me, a more pleasant place to live.

[quote user="Renaud"]I think that there is a climate divide between the north and south of the Dordogne[/quote]

I think the climate variation is more North and East of Perigueux than in the South and West, certainly our climate at Ribérac is very similar to the Bergerac area. I've also noticed that the weather is frequently cooler and wetter from Angoûleme northwards.