Large Plastic Rainwater Storage Tanks

Ozpete

You could always consider using a fosse. Probably the cheapest and easiest option for bulk water storage.

Actually, I've just double-checked sizes and you'd need about 5 or 6 large ones -- a fosse for a 5 bedroom house is 5 m3.

What will you be doing with that much (20-30, 000 litres) water? It's equivalent to a decent small swimming pool.

Ozpete

I presume that the 'OZ' bit means Australia so I can speak of matters antipodean.

What we used to do back in OZ for a big tank was get a big corrugated iron tank either new or very used, sink into the ground and line it with concrete about 8cm thick. Then make a lid out of a steel frame(ring) crisscrossed with fencing wire, then lay 5 layers of chicken wire top and bottom, and then plaster (top and bottom) with a Ferro cement compound. I used a slight dome shape to the lid to give it strength and so that none would drive over it.

The one we did was 45000lt from memory and is still there and working fine after 30 years.

Hope that rings a bell

Andrew

More or less what I have at my house.

I estimated the capacity to be 14cu/m and every drop or rainwater both from the house and the barn goes into it [:D]

Anything in plastic to that hold sort of capacity is likely to be very expensive and in the medium term unlikely to be financially advantageous over using the tap [:-))]