Hole in stone wall for Porte Fenetres

oldgit72

Could be highly dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, and sometimes pretty scarey if you do, so best advice is to get a builder in. Will probably cost you between 1K and 2K euros depending on porte fentre and finish (stone reveals etc)

Not only that, you will need an RSJ of some description to hold the top up, stone lintels are very heavy to lift in (we have had to hire a manitou in the past a few times for double door lintels) and steel ones will be difficult too. Wooden lintel may be easier. Suggest you get an expert in to do a proper job if you have no previous experience as knocking stone walls through is not easy and can easily go off course and get out of hand plus you need to use the right materials and methods. Don't forget you also need permission to put these in as well as you are altering the outside appearance.

Let us known how thick your wall is. then we might be able to be constructive. Whatever you do it will certainly involve a huge amount of stone coming out / down. In my crystal ball I see acrow props (etais en Francais), blood, sweat, dust, tears and maybe a cast in-situ lintel to hold up the stone that fills in the large triangular hole where all the stones fell out. Deep joy.

you can always use oak lintels inside and out then shutter and pour a concreet lintel to hold the weight.

but my advice is if your clueless better go get a builder to assist you mate or you may end up with a pile of stones.

While we were over at Whit, I paid someone to knock through a metre thick wall for a 120mm flue pipe.

The amount of stone that came out, and the muck that was produced, was amazing. It took him most of an afternoon, and he only charged €50.

Get a builder in.

hi

I've knocked a few holes in old stone walls for windows, french windows and door openings.  If you are a diy type and can make sensible decisions, you have nothing to fear by having a go.  Its amazing how these old stone walls stay up, some rock fall is normal and can be dangerous to you personally if caught unawares, I've currently have a large bruise in my lower leg.  You need at least two workers and accrows again at least two.  If the wall isn't well pointed and loose you will be in for an interesting few days.  I'm just mortaring up an opening  for a door at the moment.  I open up where the lintels go first and work from both outside and in.  If its an opening for french windows I (as anothe poster has already mentioned) use oak lintels either side and cast reinforced concrete in between, for door openings I just use oak lintels throughout.  Once the lintels are in I take out the rest of the opening below.  I find a lage angle grinder with an expensive disc a must.  Its a great feeling once you have successfully done your first such job.  The above description is how I do it, I'm not a builder just someone who has had a go before.  Good luck.

When I first glanced ay the original posting I thought it said your wall was 2 metres thick.........I figured you must live in a chateau.

However......in the cold light of day, and sober........I'll agree with bigears.

It is generally accepted that the area of wall at risk during this process is a triangular shape above the hole you are making, so if you want a one metre wide opening a one metre triangular area above the space is at risk.

The normal procedure is knock a hole through the wall centrally above the area you want to remove, slide a suitable piece of steel/wood through this hole and then place an acrow prop under it at each side of the wall in order to support the masonary above your opening.

If the opening you want is wider that one metre you may want to add two or more such sets of props it.

Also, bear in mind, that old stone walls may not strictly conform to the triangle rule......if in doubt whack in more supports. Don't forget to allow for the lintels and a bit of elbow room when you put the supports in.

• 2 weeks later...
To put in a 2m60 lintel (oak ext, poured concrete inside), with oak side pieces for a porte fenetre with a window each side (oak, window, oak, door, oak, window, oak) took one man (plus a bit of stone lugging and clearing from me) a week from first hammer blow to cleaning the pointing off the oak. That included planing, rebating, and making all the mortice and tenon joints in the wood) So that's about 44 man-hours: about 1500 Euros.

paul

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]To put in a 2m60 lintel (oak ext, poured concrete inside), with oak side pieces for a porte fenetre with a window each side (oak, window, oak, door, oak, window, oak) took one man (plus a bit of stone lugging and clearing from me) a week from first hammer blow to cleaning the pointing off the oak. That included planing, rebating, and making all the mortice and tenon joints in the wood) So that's about 44 man-hours: about 1500 Euros. paul[/quote]

I assume the 1500 euro includes some material costs? It seems a bit steep to me if it is labour only costs for 44 hours work or am I being unrealistic?.