Do Allen/Hex Keys Breed ?

Anton Redman

I can explain how it happens, it's because men hoard junk because "you never know when it will come in handy love".

I have also noticed this "junk" is usually of the metal variety for some reason and is also unidentifiable in name or form to women. 

My mate made her man take all his junk to a car boot sale and sell the lot.  Which in fairness he did but he used the money he made to buy new junk because "you never know when it will come in handy love".

Come on now Katie, I resemble that remark.

I don't collect junk, but I do collect things that DO come in handy and I have proved that many, many times ducky. Because if I ever do get rid of any of my valuables I find that I need them the following day!

Junk indeed, what an insult to our manhood?[geek]

I picked up a large handful of countersunk machine screws complete with inset, blind countersunk nuts from by one of our local poubelles not long back. No might about it, they have alreasdy proved their worth twice already. Yes they were rusty, but they cleaned up well and have filled 2 holes that are used for a safety gate when my Grandsons are here and another 2 are holding door handles on one of our sliding doors. Junk? Not a chance, just wonderfully useful!![8-|]

No Katie, that'sjust  not right! An Allen key is a tool, and therefore invaluable when my other half wants something fixed, or breaks something so I have to fix it. My stuff is "crap" when it's not where she wants it to be, but "very clever" when it's fits brake pads to her car, thus saving money. The trouble is. some tools have a very limited use, but if you haven't got it when needed, the task becomes impossible. I have to agree with the breeding element though. I believe the offspring of "relations" between metric and Imperial (and therefore proper) Allen keys, are called Torx, because I have more of those than I ever brought as well.......................

Every new machine I buy has an allen key or two (usually the wrong size!!!) so as a result I also have boxes of them. They are particulaly useful little babies & can be cut down in size for those akward to get to places. Just assembled a new Scheppach planer/thicknesser - what a b1tch. It weighs 150kg and had to be lifted onto a sub frame. No matter how hard I beat Mrs Postie she couldn't lift it (only joking!!)[Www] onto the little locating lugs.  Eventually got it into place & then had to cut down an allen key to tighten the screws, no other way to do it. I'll keep collecting my JUNK, always a use for it!!!

Allen keys expand to fit the space available to store them.

Every power tool seems to come with at least one, and they last longer.

IKEA chuck them in everything.

Then there is the problem that you can't find the one you need, so you have to buy a complete set to get it...

They can be used to make hand router cutters if you are so inclined, or 90 degree chisels.

Steve - liked your posts on Bluebird. I still think they should have left it at the bottom of the lake...

"Steve - liked your posts on Bluebird. I still think they should have left it at the bottom of the lake..."

Is that on TNF Atlas or the SRG site? It does look good doesn't it? Changed my mind completely! Ken Norris, who designed it, was , er, not happy, when she came up, bet he would be now! But yep, both Donald and Leo wanted it left, but.............

Torx, now there's a tool where you need exactly the right size or you'll never undo it! Invented I believe by Citreon? (much like Rolls-Royce came up with Hylomar).

I suspect the secret of the Allen key is as lost on my missus,  as mush as  the history and development of the croche hook is lost on me. The difference is I would not use a croche hook to lever out a screw, or hit a chisel with it, where as my missus would hit a chisel with a hammer ("well it looks like a mallet, how am I supposed to know the difference?") or chisel with a screw driver, or cut a still growing rose bush with my best tenon saw, while running the blade into the ground to get it cut down as far as possible. Yet I am expected to work out how a knitting/sowing /washing machine works, and fix it!

As for the mountains of Allen keys, it's like everything else I have a lot of (leaves, compost, old engine oil, hardcore etc etc) worth diddly!!

[quote user="Callie"]The worst we have is a box of old screws....mostly bent and rusty.
[/quote]

Just checked with Isabel mine vary between immaculate and very good considering age. They are stored in sorted by length and pitch in plastic boxes. Anything which is bent and rusty is taken down to the decheterie for recycling each month. Not sure how I have avoided it so far but she assures me my days are numbered.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

[quote user="Callie"]The worst we have is a box of old screws....mostly bent and rusty.

[/quote]

Just checked with Isabel mine vary between immaculate and very good considering age. They are stored in sorted by length and pitch in plastic boxes. Anything which is bent and rusty is taken down to the decheterie for recycling each month. Not sure how I have avoided it so far but she assures me my days are numbered.

[/quote]

Anton, that is just mind-bogglingly organised. You have taken all the 'fun' out of screw storage. How can you possibly spend hours of 'enjoyment' searching for the right number of the right screws before deciding that you must go out and buy more, thus increasing your searchable stock pile for next time.

I bet you have all your spanners on a shadow board and sockets lined up by size as well    [:(]

Dick Smith wrote the following post at 28/07/2008 20:59:

Atlas. Interesting discussion, I only just found it.

Yes, a good thread, and a brilliant forum. I was very wary when I was asked to join, there's a lot of knowledge on there, but I think I'm holding my own! Now the publisher who did my book on Bluebird has sold his company, the rights have reverted to me, so I may do a re-write and include the re-build.

I've got one Allen key, where each flat is 1 inch!!! That's the one the missus tried to use as a hammer!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]

Dick Smith wrote the following post at 28/07/2008 20:59:

Atlas. Interesting discussion, I only just found it.

Yes, a good thread, and a brilliant forum. I was very wary when I was asked to join, there's a lot of knowledge on there, but I think I'm holding my own! Now the publisher who did my book on Bluebird has sold his company, the rights have reverted to me, so I may do a re-write and include the re-build.

I've got one Allen key, where each flat is 1 inch!!! That's the one the missus tried to use as a hammer!
[/quote]

Bluebird? They are toffies aren't they? A book on toffies sounds very interesting Dick [8-)]

Steve, I take it that you are a watchmaker [:-))] ??

The nearest that I came to being a watchmaker was to own a 14 lb watchmakers adjustment hammer. Well after adjustment they were always correct twice a day [8-|]... And they didn't need winding either !!!

I hope you ain't trying to chat my my nurse Mr Smiff [Www]?

Reminds me of a awd newspaper 'eadline about an escapee from a mental horsepiddle wot attacked a cleaning lady and then vanished. it even goes with tis thread in a way?

"Nut screws washer & bolts!"