bathrooms : taxes

chocccie

Does the amount of bathrooms one has bear any relation to the level of taxation?  (I am currently planning the layout of a building and pondering on how many bathrooms).

I had to fill in an official survey earlier in the year and was asked about how many bathrooms I have ... wondered if this might have anything to do with taxation (I seem to remember being told that the more bathrooms one has ....)

Thanks folks

Good grief! How amazing; a tax on personal hygene! When we were house-hunting we were always surprised at seeing WCs without basins, so this explains it.

Do they carry out inspections? I'm sure there's a stiff fine if caught out, but how would they know?

One of the first things I'm planning to do is to install a basin in the loo; but what sort of cost are we talking? 10, or even 100€ per annum would be bearable; much more is an invitation to, erm, feign ignorance of the law.

The scale used to establish the "rentable" value of properties goes back to the 70's, in the days where 1 bathroom and 1 WC per property were judged to be sufficient. Like with the council tax tables in the UK, there is ongoing talk about re-assessing the scale and its applications to bring them in line with modern living...

How to the authorities get to know what you've got? We started with one bathroom with a basin and shower in it, and one separate WC sans basin. In addition we now have a basin fitted in that WC and a new separate shower room with shower, basin and WC.

I didn't tell anyone - should I have done? Does the plumber report it to the tax authorities?

I confess that when we had a velux roof light installed I added a note on my sketch to accompany the Declaration saying it was needed for more light in a dark corner. Somehow I omitted to say that one day in the future that I just might partition off that part and make a shower room. 

[quote user="anniefromwales"]But I can't see why they would be very interested it's just new fittings and you haven't significant changed the room layout.[/quote]

Any improvement in the comfort level of the house (added bathroom, WC, shower...)is considered to have an impact on the potential "rentability" of the property, which is the basis for local taxes.

[quote user="anniefromwales"]I guess - hope - that 'added' is the significant word? Surely if you have just replaced a scruffy cracked old shower/washbasin/loo with new ones, as I have, you don't have to declare that? There aren't any facilities that weren't there before. (Sorry to hi-jack the thread Clair, but you got me worried now!)[/quote]

Annie, as you have described, this is simply a replacement (like for like), so no need to complete the dreaded H1 form [:)].

Hi!

Each single tap, each shower, each both, each wc counts.

The working out of the Taxe d'Habitation is rather complex.

For example, if you have a chemical toilet it does not count.

When you have bought a house, and you have done diverse renovations involving an permit, you can then a surprise on the stiff increase of taxes, if the former owners have modified things, without declaring.

Yours,

giantpanda

PS. The Tax Office will also possibly claim money from the former owner ( 3 years is possible, I think ).

anniefromwales said: "Changes will come to light if/when you sell the house as the notaire will compare the description in the deeds when you bought it with the description of the house when you sell it."

They won't find out a lot from past records that I know about. The so-called deeds give cadastral numbers and a scaled plan. The typical estate agent details ( half a page on multi-photocopied A4 paper with 3/4 taken up by a nearly black featureless photo) tell you even less.

When it comes time to sell I suppose thought should be given to showing  / not showing devis and receipts in an effort to lower the taxes then though.

My 16 page document called 'copie authentique de vente' which the notaire read out word by word on two separate occasions, when we signed the compromis de vente and again when we completed (and it took AGES), contains a paragraph called 'Designation' which is a detailed description of the house - what rooms there are downstairs, upstairs, etc, and yes it does mention WCs. The previous owner had made alterations and the notaire clarified exactly what the house now consisted of, and this new 'designation' is written into the deeds.

Does replacing a bidet with a WC count, after all they're sort of similar in function [blink][:P]

A friend nearby who is trying to sell is in for a massive shock as his house was basically 1 bed + kitchen + lounge but now has second floor in the roof space with 2 more bedrooms and a bathroom and I know for a fact that nothing has been declared to anyone.

Adding two bedrooms and three bathrooms added 30% to our "base" (50% of the notional rentable value, used as the basis of the tax calculation, as Clair said).  No idea if that increase was solely due to our works or whether there were other "bits" undeclared by the previous owners.  You do get a 2 year period of "grace" after improvements are done before the tax goes up.

Because ours is a new apartment, we had to fill out our form for taxes. Our neighbour came in for an apero and read it through with us, insisting we mustn't put down the extra basin (in the room with the WC) or the WC in the bathroom. She was very concerned that we would be paying higher taxes than necessary.

On reading the forms further she realised that she hadn't put the correct square metres for her apartment or her garage. She then wailed on that we would have to buy her oranges!! She was apparently saying she would be locked up when her error was discovered, and we would have to visit her in prison, taking oranges. Is this like taking grapes when hospital visiting? Or was she just play-acting, as she sometimes does?Iit is customary, where did taking oranges come from - getting scurvy from a lack of vitamin c like on long sea voyages? Fascinating thought!

Jo