Dormer windows

Simon

I have been granted planning permission to replace two velux windows with dormer windows. I'm planning to do the conversation myself in September. The dormers will have a pitched roof, an oak frame, petit tuiles on the top and crepi on the sides.

Can anyone point me towards any sites on the net with advice on with working with oak ?

Also I haven't worked with zinc before, anyone know of any alternative materials or suppliers of preformed valleys either in France or UK that they can recommend?

i.e. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49205/Building/Roofing-Insulation/Valley-Trough-2-4m-Pack-of-5#  

I wouldn’t use fibreglass valley trays they do not work very well with plain tiles

As your in the UK you could bring some valley tiles over with you  or just close mitre

The tiles and use a Zink soakers then the Zink would not be seen  and all you would see from the ground is tiles and no big gap up the valley

• 3 months later...
[quote user="Simon"]

Has this worked? [/quote]

Very well - what a super window. You must be very proud of your achievement.

And thank you for giving us such a cheerful update as it can become a tad depressing when advice is given and then nothing is ever heard again from the OP.

Sue [:)]

Thanks for the comments. I should point out that I forgot to mention that I was helped by my wife and as per usual won't have managed without her.

Next is the the other dormer, then the kitchen extension, then the terrace...you know what's it's like...the list just seems to be endless

A velux costs about 400 euros plus fitting so I would guess in the order of  2  x 10hr man days @ 38 euros per hr =760, plant and materials say 150 euros  so 1,310 euros....ish

A dormer, believe it or not, I am paying about 2,500 euros each for Oak framed, I would work therefore on a differential in the order of  1500 euros..........That's about £1,500.00 these days isn't it?

How does one get a euro symbol up in text is it a case of  setting a hot key?

Hi,

I had three quotes for two oak framed dormer windows as per the photo, two of the quotes came in at 6,500 euros and the third was 10,000 euros. One of the firms quoted that it would take three men one week to complete one window. These quotes did not include finishing the interior, i.e. insulation and plasterboarding.

Cost of materials for both windows came to about 1500 euros and I took two weeks to complete one window including the interior work, but I wasn't working at it all day everyday as I was on 'holiday'!

Simon