HELP- please -MY NEW GAS BOTTLE WILL NOT WORK MY HOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!COLD SOUP TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

chirpy

HI,

I have 2 butane bottles in outside store supplying gas to my cooker hob for 7 years now.

Today gas ran out and i switched the arrow to the new bottle etc.turned on a safety swich which is in the house and cuts off supply when bottle empty.

tried to light gas hob without any sucess--can you get any moisture into butane gas bottles which may affect it lighting.??

I can smell the gas when I swich hob on but electric operated spark does not ignite nor a match.

Why?   any ideas please as wife has just had a compressed fracture of her spine after a fall before xmas and I am srtuggling like most males to cook,clean,wash etc.At 71 years of age I realize I SHOULD HAVE LEARNT THESE SKILLS BEFORE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't say where you are but Butane freezes when cold, or more correctly it ceases to be able to turn itself from liquid to gas.

Propane is more suitable for outside locations.

Try pouring hot water slowly over the bottle and see if that gives you a flow.

The smell you have does not indicate flow.

Good luck with it.

Gary.

[quote user="jondeau"]As has been said, if the air temperature is less than -2C the liquid gas will not vaporise and you will not get any gas from the cylinders.[/quote]

The effect is exacerbated as the gas level drops.

Change to propane ASAP. new regulator and new cylinders, propane is good down to ( I think ) -23.

We keep butane cylinders "outside" in what was the chicken shed and don't usually have any problems. Last week we were getting about -6 degs C and the gas cooker was working OK. Check the little reset button which is on the underside of the regulator. Sometimes pushing this in and turning the gas on again will get you going.

External bottles should be Propane, one single Butane bottle inside the house is the only permitted installation for Butane

Butane will not vapourise at very low temperatures so you get no supply

If heat does not solve the problem ( hot water-not a flame on the bottle) then it is likely the Detender de Security has shut the gas supply due to no pressure

The DDS is the valve mounted on the wall, or in a cupboard close to the cooker. It has a red line ( propane) or a green line ( butane ) and this line will be in line with the pipe. To reset the valve turn the knob so the line is at right angles to to pipe and then turn back in line with the pipe

If the DDS has shut off this will reset it and you will have gas at the cooker

This is the most likely solution if the butane is not vapourising in the bottle

You should change to butane and if you do you need to change all the inline equipment, the twin changeover set and the DDS

Butane and Propane operate at different pressures

Le Plombier

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

External bottles should be Propane, one single Butane bottle inside the house is the only permitted installation for Butane

Butane will not vapourise at very low temperatures so you get no supply

If heat does not solve the problem ( hot water-not a flame on the bottle) then it is likely the Detender de Security has shut the gas supply due to no pressure

The DDS is the valve mounted on the wall, or in a cupboard close to the cooker. It has a red line ( propane) or a green line ( butane ) and this line will be in line with the pipe. To reset the valve turn the knob so the line is at right angles to to pipe and then turn back in line with the pipe

If the DDS has shut off this will reset it and you will have gas at the cooker

This is the most likely solution if the butane is not vapourising in the bottle

You should change to butane** and if you do you need to change all the inline equipment, the twin changeover set and the DDS

Butane and Propane operate at different pressures

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Is that what's known as a summary ?..................[:D]

** did you mean Propane LP?

I've always had problems getting the gas to flow after changing the bottle.  I use the small Malice bottles, and I think I've finally sussed it the last time I changed over.  Putting the détendeur on is straightforward but I had previously not purged it by pressing the button on the side, without doing that there is an air bloackage.

Which type of bottle are you using?

Thanks everyone,

In case the bottle was faulty I changed it for a new one and put it in my car with heater on high coming back from the shop as it waas stored ouside the petrol station where I bought it.

I also fitted it to the inlet that had the bottle which had just been finished in case the other inlet which had the spare bottleand did not work  had any blockage or dirt etc.in it.

.The temp.of my outside store where bottles are stored and connected through the wall to the kitchen was 5centigrade.

My safety swich inside the house just has to be turned back vertical to reset-it does not have a small reset button.

This is the second time I have had such a problem in 2 years.

at least I got the soup finished without too many more problems.

However on my return from the garage a pheasant strutted acroos the road and unfortunately I WAS TOO CLOSE TO IT TO STOP OR SWERVE

I thought it had been knocked into the ditch but when I got home it was caught in the plasitic grill-unfortunately dead.

p.s.anyone know how to pluck and cook it??

pps I now have a broken plastic grill-I willtape it up as spares costs are horrendous for my car.

Thanks for all your help in my emergency.[:)][B]

Don't tell anyone you don't know well about the bird, pluck it inside somewhere and put the feathers in a closed plastic bag before disposing of them. It is illegal to take game without a licence, even if killed on the road.

Pluck very carefully to avoid tearing the flesh. Draw and truss as a chicken. Check the stomach and digestive system have not been damaged and contaminated the flesh inside.

Lots of recipes for pheasant if you search Google, or just roast it. A piece of beef inside improves the flavour and keeps inside moist, cover breast with a couple of bacon rashers and roast about 50 min in a moderate oven. Remove the bacon for the last 10 minutes or so to brown the breast.

It was a tonque in cheek request as I am not anygood in the kitchen plus at the moment not much time to do anything else as I am spending all my time trying to keep hose while my wife is laid low with a compresssed fracture of the vertabrae.

what with sawing wood ,washing cooking making beds etc.I NOW REALIZE WHAT A WIFE HAS DONE ALL THESE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

APART FROM THAT I GET ON COMPUTER FOR A QUICK SEARCH OF POBLEM SOLVING,

THANKS.

Tounge in cheek or not the easiest and quickest way to get the fevverz off a phesant is to skin it! I have spent many an hour trying to pull very reluctant fevverz out of them and the skin comes off quite easily.

Hang it for a few days first though and it tastes so much better... This time of year you won't get any maggots either [8-|].