Pull cord switches

briwy

I've just bought an extractor fan for our bathroom and was planning on using a double pole pull cord switch.

However I was told by the assistant in Castorama that these switches are not allowed in France.

Could someone please confirm this.   It seems odd that you can have a power socket but not a double pole pull cord switch.

Thanks

Brian

It seems to be true briwy, a French electrician told me the same thing.

Switches and sockets are only allowed in the correct zone, however, that is a recent development judging where ours are.

I could tell you which zone and the measurements but my desk is untidy and I can't find the book at the moment [:$]

[quote user="briwy"]

However I was told by the assistant in Castorama that these switches are not allowed in France.

Could someone please confirm this.   [/quote]

Only if they were standing with you at the time [6]

I have not come across them here but that does not mean that they do not exist or are not allowed it is just another manifestation of tradition, rather like the only pipe clips available are collier atlas that look like they belong in a plumbing museum.

I am sure somewhere a sales assistant will be saying "plastic clips are not allowed in France"

No JohnRoss, it is ok for the simple and basic pull cord as fiited by the manufacturer and given it's CE stamp or Le Norms.

The OP is refering to the pull cord switches we have as standard in bathrooms in the UK. They are double pole switches and much safer than the ones fitted as above, they are a requirement in UK regs but we are not talking about the UK [:)]

My understanding is that existing installations remain legal? In that case the porcelain pull switches for our bedroom lights (Still wired but no drop cords on them) which date from 19 dot must still be both French and Legal.

My guess is that for new installation you need appropriately marked items and it may be that these are no longer manufactured for the French market.

Why not look on French manufacturers websites, If they make them then its reasonable to suggest that you must be able to use them?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I'll get one in the UK and take it out next time I go.

The alternative would mean chasing out the wall and putting gaine/cable in and replastering.  Using a pull cord I can just wire it in above the ceiling.

I had a new bathroom suite fitted last year by a french plumbing firm and asked if I could change the existing rocker light switch for a pull cord. The answer was no as it was not legal in bathrooms. He also said he would have to move my centre ceiling light as regulations stated it must be 1 metre away from the bath/shower and I now have two spot lights situated on the wall. However, he then asked if I would like an electric socket fitted for hairdryers etc and to my surprise he fitted one to the left of the hand basin.

I have learnt over the last couple of years to 'run with it' as many things seem contradictory but then I am not a plumber ni electrian etc.

Chris

Hi Knee gel.

It depends on the light fitting, if it is the correct standard it can be fitted into the correct zone, (volume as the French refer to it)

Any light more than 60cm from the edge of a bath or shower is in volume 3 and therefore allowed, not 1 metre.

All sinks are automatically in volume 3 so you can put a socket right next to one, Daft isn't it.

[quote user="Théière"]

All sinks are automatically in volume 3 so you can put a socket right next to one, Daft isn't it.

[/quote]

Right next to or even above one, unless they are the kitchen sink where you are not allowed to!

As my late father used to say "its the exception that proves the rule fiston!"