Slate worktops - any good?

redkite

The other half fancies having slate worktops fitted in our new kitchen - are they any good?

Seems to me they might be subject to damage by getting chipped on the edges and also, they might get damp. Perhaps they treat them with something, I dunno.

Any advice guys?

Damp? spose so.......I mean they used to make damp proof courses out of slate. Slate is pretty good at stopping the wet coming through your roof.

Joking aside it does hold some damp on its surface but is pretty impervious. polished slate will hold less but prone to flaking and chipping.

Poisonous? why on earth ewould you eat it? and the formaldehyde treated MDF/Chipboard of old worktops probably do you more damage if worktop eating is your thang!

I used to have a piece of slate for rolling out pastry (great because it's stays really cold).  I made the mistake of using it as a chopping board on one occasion and it was marked for life after just a few cuts of a knife.  I think you'd have to have a good special finish on it to make it work.  Although I must say I think it looks beautiful, myself.