Broken Freezer

Babbles

We bought a non intergrated Liebherr stainless steel freezer at hugh expense in April through our kitchen fitter, it now doesn't work 8 months later, called the kitchen fitter told him whats wrong, asked him to take it away (which he did)to get it fixed ( I said and assumed under warrenty) he's now emailled me saying that it will cost 191E to get it fixed, surely this can't be normal for such a new freezer? I don't know where he bought it from but we don't have an invoice from the supplier only the kitchen fitter, My french isn't great and I struggle to undersatnd himas he waffles quite a bit. I now don't know what to say to him as I have already asked for it to be fixed under warrenty but he doesn't seem to have grasped that idea. Is there someone out there who could explain it in french and I can send him an email, thanks in advance

Hello Babbles

Commiserations, frustating sometimes.

My french teacher has set up a transaltion and rescue service. Her name is Beatrice and her office number is 0545 290394 and mobile is 0670 783342. She speaks excellent english obviously and is a lovely person.

Bonne chance

Jan

Hi Anton, it seems I'm not alone, but was your washer covered by the warranty?

Is there something that you can add to the main consumer unit to deal with power surges or do you have to find something for each appliance? I try to remember to unplug everything when I go away for any significant amount of time but in this case I'd only been out for an hour and frankly its not very practical!

Less than 9 weeks use but three years old. We were renovating AKA I am sure it would be easier to self build and only got down for holidays so did not even try. It was the cheapest Favor machine we could find.

You can also add a simgle expensive unit to the Tableau d'electricite, last time I looked € 75 at Bridodepot

Has it been in a very cold environment? We discovered that our fridge freezer goes off in sub freezing temperatures but recovers once back to normalish temps. Seems odd, but true.

BTW: Love the Ribble Valley.From Preston and our last home in the UK was in Goosnargh.

We keep the house at least 12 degrees even when we're not there so I don't think it would be that and Liebherr have said it needs a new compressor and re gas it but no mention of the digital display bit (but what do I know :-) ) I have had another email off the kitchen fitter turns out that the parts are covered but not the labour, still seems a bit steep to me but it looks we're between a rock and a hard place with it and it would cost over 600E to replace it so we'll just have to get it done.

Could someone explain what we need to do to the consumer unit and roughly what it would cost to get done by an electrician and just what I'd need to ask for to sort out the surge protection bit, many thanks.

I to was brought up in Preston, went to Fulwood high, I don't spend much time in the Ribble Valley now but it is very pretty, right now am a bit fed up with all the snow and ice and am climbing the walls a bit!!!!!

I do not understand which the fridge needs regazing if the cause was a damaged Printed Circuit Board. Normally a lightening strike to power cables will also damage modem board in PCs, mains powered phones and other bits of electrical equipment. Before spending the money on a full parafoudre installation I would talk to my neighbours and see if they had similar problems. First link below shows risks and recommendations by department however if you power is supplied underground power lines parafoudres are not required even in the highest risk areas.

At a guess and assuming you Tableau D Electricite is modern probably total of about € 450. Depends on who much power you use. Note they are sacrificial once you had a lightening strike they need to be replaced.

http://entraidelec.com/article-64-Le-parafoudre.html

http://www.bricodepot.fr/bordeaux/node/479186

http://www.bricodepot.fr/bordeaux/node/479185

Edit so links should work

[quote user="Babbles"] I have had another email off the kitchen fitter turns out that the parts are covered but not the labour, still seems a bit steep to me [/quote]

That does not seem right to me. Have you tried emailing Liebherr, quoting the model no and date of acquisition of the freezer, and asking why you have to pay labour costs? I was under the impression Liebherr gave a 2 year all singing all dancing guarantee.

Below are the contact people in France for service repairs - according to the Liebherr website:

Eberhardt Frères

Rue des Frères Eberts 18

67024 Strasbourg Cèdex

France

E-Mail: [email protected]

Phone: +33 0 892 707 667 (n° audiotel à 0,34 € TTC/min)

Fax: +33 3 88 65 7583

If you go to their website, click on service après-vente, then 'recherche stations techniques' there is a list of the 3 authorised repairers for dept 34. Ask your fitter which one the repair quote is from, as the firm might not be aware the freezer is under guarantee.

Hi Anton

It didn't happen after a thunder storm just after there had been a power cut in our street, so not actually sure if it was a power surge but I assumed something must have happened after the leccy came back on.

Sue, unfortunatly I'm in the UK and the freezer is with the kitchen fitter in France so I can't get the serial numbers that I need, I called Leibherr uk who said that differnet things are cover by the warrenty in different countries, Leibherr do give the 2 year all singing version in the UK but I couldn't find out if that was the same in France, my french isn't up to calling leibherr but did you see it on the french website that it would be covered? Thanks in advance Abi

[quote user="Babbles"]Sue, unfortunatly I'm in the UK and the freezer is with the kitchen fitter in France so I can't get the serial numbers that I need, I called Leibherr uk who said that differnet things are cover by the warrenty in different countries, Leibherr do give the 2 year all singing version in the UK but I couldn't find out if that was the same in France, my french isn't up to calling leibherr but did you see it on the french website that it would be covered? Thanks in advance Abi[/quote]

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ... but it seems that your fitter might be right. Looking on a website to simulate purchase of a Liebherr freezer, the following was asterisked:

*garantie constructeur incluse un an pièces.

So, only 1 years guarantee, parts only. Unbelievable, I am shocked.

As Gosub says check your house insurance cover. It's worth a try.