Water Pipe Left Embedded in New Concrete Floor

Rich1972

Question: would you lay a new concrete floor in a sitting room without first disconnecting and removing the old water pipe that supplied a disused sink? Or would you leave it with all the pipework intact, still connected to the mains and lay the new floor directly on top so that the still-working water pipe exits upwards through the new concrete?

[Www]

[quote user="La Guerriere"]Frankly no. But I expect somebody did it, or you wouldn't be asking the question. I suppose it could always be disconnected where it goes into the floor at the other end, but that will be an extra m'sieur (with gallic shrug).[/quote]

It's a long story but my (now ex-) French builder did it, despite being asked to remove it, saying 'the plumber will deal with it'... The plumber, when he saw it, was not amused and I was even less amused when I saw it. Now in the corner of the sitting room there's a pipe with a tap on the end, and the mains water supply enters the house there, runs under the new concrete flooring for 30ft before emerging somewhere, god knows where, in the kitchen. I was out of the country whilst it was all going on but it means I'm looking for a new French builder to carry on working on the house as I'm not using the old one ever again. The problem is that it wasn't part of the original devis but both the plumber and builder are acquaintances and I would've expected the builder and plumber to get together, sort it out and give me the bill, especially as I stipulated in no uncertain terms that any disused water pipes HAD to be disconnected and removed before the new concrete floor was laid.

Am I being unreasonable in feeling aggrieved?

[quote user="Chancer"]Was the pipe still connected to the unused sink?[/quote]

It wasn't so much a sink really. The pipe comes up through the floor, goes through a few angles and ends with a tap that hovers above a shallow stone trough set into an alcove (the water exits from the trough, through the exterior wall and out into a wide stone with a channel carved in it set into the outside face of the wall). Obviously it was a leftover from when the house was divided in two. My sitting room was their kitchen. I've used this builder a lot and have known him for three years or so and get on very well (or we did). I can't understand why he failed liaise with the plumber on sorting the sodding water pipes out before the concrete went down.

The plumber has seen it and didn't know what to suggest. Whatever happens will involve hacking the new concrete floors around to some degree or another.

[quote user="oldgit72"]Can't you make it into a 'feature'? We've kept the old sink in our cottage (future gite) and will use it to put a nice plant pot in as it still has the small hole through the wall to let out any water. Yes I am being serious.[/quote]

The stone sink is definitely staying! [:)] It's only about two inches deep so it's not even a proper sink as such. No, my main issue is the fully-operational water pipe and tap that is still emerging from the new concrete floor. I don't understand why a builder would lay a concrete floor over water pipes that he knew were coming out, and then to say 'oh the plumber will deal with it' when challenged about the situation.

Agreed and I guess you are not really looking for answers ,more sharing your (justified) anger and frustration, but is there no way you could keep the pipe and disguise it somehow and replace the old tap with something more aesthetically pleasing. Failing that I guess the plumber could cap the pipe for you and you could hide any remant with future tiling?

[quote user="oldgit72"]Agreed and I guess you are not really looking for answers ,more sharing your (justified) anger and frustration, but is there no way you could keep the pipe and disguise it somehow and replace the old tap with something more aesthetically pleasing. Failing that I guess the plumber could cap the pipe for you and you could hide any remant with future tiling?[/quote]

You're right, I'm just p-eed off about it and needed some support for my greivance! [:D]  I wasn't in the country while the work was being done. If I had been then it wouldn't have happened and I would've insisted on the pipe being removed. The problem now is that I have no firm idea where the mains water enters the house. It seems that it runs up the front of the house on the outside, goes under the wall and connects to the problem pipe in the sitting room before running all the way back down to the kitchen (all of which is now under new concrete flooring). I have no idea where the water pipe goes in the kitchen or how the problem pipe connects into the overall pipe work. As it stands the water system under the floor extends over 50 ft further along the house than necessary.  I agree though, I think the only way around it is to excavate around the base of the problem pipe and cap it. What irks me is that i) the builder fobbed off the person supervising down here with the excuse that 'the plumber will deal with it' and ii) he didn't liaise with the plumber to get it removed even though the plumber is scheduled to do work here and the builder and plumber are 'buddies'. It just boggles my mind that a builder worth his salt could lay a new concrete floor onto pipes that he knew I wanted removed. I suppose the moral of the story is never trust them and watch them like a hawk. It does make me good and mad though! I work my backside off down here, both physically and psychologically, trying to juggle things, order things, do things, repair things, plan things, position things, etc. etc. etc. and as soon as my back is turned someone does something utterly stupid and I hand over thousands of euros for the pleasure. I am looking for a new decent builder in my area now though so anyone feel free to drop me a PM . English/French, I'm past caring, as long as they're reliable, reasonable and do a good job [:)]

I would cap the pipe before it goes under the floor and put a fitting on it just on case I wanted to use it later. On the other end I would fit an antique tap and use the sink for a flower arrangement or some such......making a feature of the pipe unless its in a stupid place. Have you considered fitting a recirulating pump and using the tap as a water feature .....isolated from main with a floral display or rock lamps with the water playing over....imagination is all that's required!

[quote user="tonyinfrance"]A salutory tale for those of us just about to begin the French adventure.............[/quote]

Indeed. You can't take your eyes off them for a second, and if they turn around and say 'no' then insist on it.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]I would cap the pipe before it goes under the floor and put a fitting on it just on case I wanted to use it later. On the other end I would fit an antique tap and use the sink for a flower arrangement or some such......making a feature of the pipe unless its in a stupid place. Have you considered fitting a recirulating pump and using the tap as a water feature .....isolated from main with a floral display or rock lamps with the water playing over....imagination is all that's required![/quote]

No, I want it gone. I wanted it gone before the new floor went down and I want it gone still! It's a sitting room and will never need a tap in it (and I'm not really into ornamental water features in the corner of a downstairs living area). I need to put floor tiles down on top of the pipe so it will have to be excavated to some extent, whatever else happens. I must get around to taking a photo and putting it on here.

One option you could try if you have the nerve is show the pipe and the floor to all the French neighbours and ask for their opinion what they would do if it was them,  and let it be known who actually caused the c0ckup, you can be sure it will get all around the village with the speed of sound. Our friends did something similar on a problem they had. They managed to shame the person and it got sorted to their satisfaction.

Steve

Still cap it before it goes under the floor (if you know it doesn't tee off)  then use a angle grinder to cut it off level, squirt some mousse expansif down the open end, leave to set, cut flush and tile.

And you may not like water features but your keeping a sink in a corner of your front room...............

[quote user="Iceni"]

Rich, if it is so obvious why didn't you tell the concrete layer to remove the pipe.

John

[/quote]

Yes, as said, I did tell him! I told him before I left France for the UK. I wrote it down in my plans before I left. The person supervising in my absence told him before and during the operation. His reply was 'that's the plumber's job'. And the plumber turns up, shakes his head and says 'what did he do that for?'.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

Still cap it before it goes under the floor (if you know it doesn't tee off)  then use a angle grinder to cut it off level, squirt some mousse expansif down the open end, leave to set, cut flush and tile.

And you may not like water features but your keeping a sink in a corner of your front room...............

[/quote]

I have no idea whatsoever about the layout of the pipe work now under the house. I sort of know where it enters the house but where it goes, what tees off where, how it gets down to the kitchen...I've no idea at all. All I know is that I've got new concrete floors down and a bunch of useless, unnecessary pipes still carrying water god knows where under the house.

Yes, the shallow stone sink is staying, but I don't think it's unreasonable not to want running water in there too!