if you could do it all again....

Rose

yes, even treble ..... without wanting to sound mean (which i am as it happens !) they cost you an absolute fortune - they are just not happy with spag bol three nights in a row and 10 litres of wine for 5 euros - somehow they expect a little more on their holiday.    What's more, mysteriously they seem to have the expectation that you will pay for it !!

That is oh so true. We are living on a very small pension and I have no qualms about accepting a contribution from friends who come and stay with us. Most of our friends do it without asking but I'm sure that some sit at home in the UK thinking, where can we go for a cheap holiday. My wife disagrees, of course, but we simply can't afford to feed the world. I did take one couple down to the cash machine the day they were leaving after they announced that they wanted to make a contribution but had forgotten and didn't have any euros in their pocket. I don't know why, but we haven't heard from them for three years now [:D]

Nice here, isn't it.......................................[:D][:D]

Yes, we have a very good friend who comes and visits us on a regular basis - mainly for the racing.  Now, we really  like this guy but bloomin' 'eck, our bank balance is seriously hit when he comes to visit.  We go round the supermarket and all sorts of mysterious and expensive products find their way into our trolley.  Then at the end of the week he "generously" takes us out for a meal - which probably costs about 10% of what we've spent on him over a week or so.  I've now had to take to saying "your turn to pay" when we do the shopping because otherwise we'd be bankrupt by now.[:D]

I would have to second what Monica said.  If only someone could have strongly suggested to us not to buy a house that needed work, in fact a slap or two around the face would have in hindsight been appreciated. [:D] It is not that we have no experience of it either because we had to do everything in our house in the UK in the past but this is a different ballpark.

Unlike Monika, we did buy a house that is habitable, meaning it has central heating, plumbing, electrics, kitchen etc.. However, all has to be renewed but we paid for a habitable house with everything working. Perhaps in some ways it is easier than a ruin because we can live here while the work is taking place but is still almost the same but much more expensive in the end.

I have found that it is much much more difficult to find good artisans here than in the UK. They are very busy and many I find are just not motivated. So finding good artisans is a feat in itself and that is before starting the work, not to mention the constant nagging that is necessary because they are working on other jobs. People say try to estimate the work as best you can and double, well I don't think that is enough and in a few cases for us at least double again. [:-))]

I am having to oversee the renovations because we couldn't find a project manager we could trust. We hired one in the beginning that ripped us off and quit on us after the second payment[:@],  by the way at that stage did b****r all, so I am having to do it. The toing and froeing is becoming a problem and expensive as well. I will be going back to the UK this week but panicking because yesterday the macon has decided to start on a few things that I thought would be a few weeks off. Therefore will have to come back ASAP. [:'(]

I know the above is very personal but perhaps will give you or others contemplating doing this some insight into what it entails for us at least. I must clarify that we love it here and really have no regrets particularly with where we are located and our little village, we bought the house mainly for the situation. But.. and it is a big but, if I had known exactly what we were getting into and the actual costs involved we could have bought a heck of a beautiful house with nothing or very little to do. Especially now as Monika said in a buyers market.

So I would say after all of the rambling, my biggest advice would be up your budget and buy a pristine house and enjoy. Leave all of the heartache and expense to those that did it for you before you bought. Monika sounds lucky, because when we do eventually finish, there is no way this house will be worth what we have put into it. It is a good thing that we bought this house not wanting an investment because if so, we would be stuffed. [:)]

Upon reflection, maybe the single most important thing that we would do again is to rent.

For whatever reasons, most UK residents seem to feel that it is compulsory to buy. It isn't but even if you want to do so, it is much more convenient to rent a nice home while you establish:

(1) that you really want to stay in France (what is it? 70% of UK migrants move back inside three years? Or was that an exaggerated figure?);

(2) that this is really the area you want to be in and that you really are happy with the different climate;

(3) the property you want to buy - easier to do if you spend a year or two looking locally (instead of just a week or two).

[quote user="chessfou"]Upon reflection, maybe the single most important thing that we would do again is to rent.

For whatever reasons, most UK residents seem to feel that it is compulsory to buy. It isn't but even if you want to do so, it is much more convenient to rent a nice home while you establish:
(1) that you really want to stay in France (what is it? 70% of UK migrants move back inside three years? Or was that an exaggerated figure?);
(2) that this is really the area you want to be in and that you really are happy with the different climate;
(3) the property you want to buy - easier to do if you spend a year or two looking locally (instead of just a week or two).
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments Chessfou - we must be on the same wave length as we have decided to rent for the very reasons you suggest... I also take note of the visitor comments - we've already had requests and we're not moving for 6 months! [:)]

• 7 months later...
    Hi, just wanted to inquire about the E106 form you've written about. Have been trying to find out information about it but its so difficult to find someone who has the answers and no-one picks up the phone at the HM Revenue and Customs!

I live in France but commute to UK for my job. I am paid into a UK account and pay my national insurance contributions to the UK also. Do you have any idea if I'm eligable?

Hope you can help

Hollie

[quote user="Hollie"]    Hi, just wanted to inquire about the E106 form you've written about. Have been trying to find out information about it but its so difficult to find someone who has the answers and no-one picks up the phone at the HM Revenue and Customs![/quote]

Hollie, suggest you look at the Health section, and even do a Search in this forum section inputting E106.

Hope this helps[:D]

[quote user="Hollie"]    Hi, just wanted to inquire about the E106 form you've written about. Have been trying to find out information about it but its so difficult to find someone who has the answers and no-one picks up the phone at the HM Revenue and Customs!

I live in France but commute to UK for my job. I am paid into a UK account and pay my national insurance contributions to the UK also. Do you have any idea if I'm eligable?

[/quote]

As you are working in the UK (and I'm not going anywhere near a live in France / pay NI in UK debate, D.G.N.) I don't think you are eligible for an E106. But I am in no way qualified to judge. E106 certificates are issued by the Department for Work and Pensions in Newcastle - contact details below. That's who needs to answer the phone to you. [:D] Good luck.

From their website:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp

If you want to know more about benefits and related healthcare cover write to:

Department for Work and Pensions

The Pension Service

International Pension Centre

Tyneview Park

Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE98 1BA

When you write, please tell us:

• your full name;
  • your date of birth; and
  • your National Insurance number (if you know it).

If you are phoning or sending a fax from outside the UK, dial the international code, then:

tel: 44 191 21 87777

fax: 44 191 21 83836

You can phone or fax The Pension Service, Tyneview Park, on:

tel: 0191 21 87777

fax: 0191 21 83836

email:[email protected]

If you are on holiday or you are visiting another EEA country for a

short time, read booklet, “Health advice for travellers“, instead. You

can get a copy from any UK Post Office, or further information is

available from the internet at www.dh.gov.uk/travellers, from the DH Publications Orderline on 08701 555 455 or by emailing [email protected].

Guides Two guides published by the EC

explain your rights when moving within the EU. One, “Your social

security rights when moving within the European Union“, tells you more

about the EC social security regulations and social security schemes in

each of the other EEA countries. You can get this guide from the HM Revenue and CustomsDepartment for Work and Pensions.

You can also get it from the social security authorities in any other

EEA country. The other, “The Community provisions on social security”,

tells you about the EC social security regulations only. You can only

get this guide online at http://bookshop.eu.int.

Goodness, WJT, that strikes a chord! Having done all the important stuff to our habitable  house (re-wiring, roof, insulation etc. etc), we now find that we're still just nibbling away at the finishing touches, as and when we have a few euros and a few hours to spend doing it.  I occasionally wonder if we'll ever get it finished.  We still have a double bed in our sitting room - I feel it will be there until hell freezes over, not in the new upstairs, where it belongs![:-))]

How odd to see this post pop up... I asked the question in February... at the time we had just agreed to rent a house in France and we're starting to make plans.  Since then we found out that our rental house was being sold (with vacant possesion if required!) and decided to buy... found the perfect house for us... bought it and moved... settled our son in school and have had a handful of visitors...all who expect to be waited on for breakfast, lunch and dinner, a taxi service to and fro airport and places of interest, hog the TV remote, stay up late and expect us to do the same!!! and at the end of the week, take us all out for nice meal!!!! Things will be soooo different next year!!! [:@]

I've also found I've learned more French in the last 8 weeks than in 8 months of lessons... and we did listen to lots of the advice you all gave and it proved to be very useful indeed... so thanks very much !  [8-)]

Pale pink specs, so happy to hear that things worked out so well with you. It just sounds as if you need to become a little harder with those that want your services for their holidays. [:)]

Coops, I do know where you are coming from, that is for certain. I do wish I could offer you more sympathy about your living conditions but I'm afraid you will have to go elsewhere. [Www]  In fact, I find it very depressing to read what I wrote in February, I remember it very clearly and I was going through a particularly bad spell with the builders. However, I can say categorically eight months on, not much has changed. [:-))] My advice still stands, if you can, don't take on a project! [:)]

[quote user="Hollie"]I live in France but commute to UK for my job. I am paid into a UK account and pay my national insurance contributions to the UK also. Do you have any idea if I'm eligable?

[/quote]Sounds exactly my situation Hollie, (although I'm a bloke !!!) and I've recently received a so called "workers" E106 which has to be renewed annually and covers myself and resident dependents in France, which is only 'er indoors.

No, I didn't understand the annual bit either because if I'd packed up working I'd have been entitled to the normal 2 year E106 but it doesn't really matter as long as I've got one [;-)]

Not had any problems getting a response from HMRC BTW, what number are you dialling ?

Ah, thats good to know! I thought is was going to be a lost cause and I was going to have to take out private health insurance etc! Costly!

Have finally managed to get through to them and have to print out the E106 / E109...

Will send it off to them today and I have my fingers crossed that it works as they weren't able to tell me over the phone!

Yippee!!! - Task 4 ticked off the list of 103 tasks to complete in france! ;-)

Hello

I worked in this way during my first year in France and the Dept of Works gave me a 6 year E106, no one knows why and I was told to keep quiet about it by the DWP some time later, I can only assume it was because I was still paying into the UK system but even that doesn't seem to explain it.  I never used the 6 years, I set up as a profession liberale about 18 months in as by then I was able to work 100% from home in France, I still have it though and have to show people as no one believes me!

Panda

• 1 month later...
On the theme of "costing" visitors/familly whilst on a lower income,a friend of ours asks all visitors to pay into a kitty based on numbers of adults with a reduced kitty for kids.ALL groceries come out of this until exausted,when a new contribution is made.He does not include in the kitty costs such as booze/ciggies/nappies/toiletries but these are bought by individual users.He finds this to be very successfull and avoids him paying out a fortune to keep others who are on a "cheapo" holiday and to be reimbursed with a cheap meal out at the end of the visit!Sounds a good and fairer way to me and avoids any embarassment.We have ourselves been financially disadvantaged in collecting and returning visitors from airports and then also driving them around sightseeing.surprising how many have deep pockets when the time to refuel the car comes round!!!!Maude

Timely post, Maude, what with the holiday season nearly upon us.  Can't see the OH willing to go along with it though.  He'd die of embarrassment first!

Other thing with the sightseeing bit is that you'll get sick of the sight of the local cathedral, chateau, leisure lake, etc before all the different groups of visitors will have seen them all.

I try to encourage them to hire a car and keep emphasising that they'd enjoy their holiday so much more if they could get around by themselves.  So, that just leaves the infirm, the nervous, the stingy and that's quite a few to be getting on with!