Cesspit

Mr Coeur de Lion

Ok, I know I'm not in France anymore, but cesspits work the same the world over, don't they?

Anyway, I'm a bit bamboozled.

We have a tank buried in the garden. All the waste water from the house goes to it. However, whenever we get a lot of rain and water sits in the garden, it always causes the downstairs toilet to block up.

I can't understand why. Could it be that there is a hole in the tank and excess water floods into it? Once the water has drained away, everything's fine again, and the toilet unclogs.

It's always done this apparently, and the tank only requires emptying every other year, but I don't understand why heavy rains cause the toilet to block.

This is pure conjecture, but, if as you say, the tank gets filled up by the surface water I am inclined to think that it is something to do with relative (water) levels. I guess the soak away doesn't soak away very quickly when the lawn is flooded so "grey" water backs up towards the WC and gives the effect of a blockage. I guess it also means that "grey" water could be seeping out where the rain water is seeps in.

That's what I've been thinking too John. I think this summer, I might pull up the patio (that it's been built under) and have a look.

I also noticed when there's a lot of water exiting say from the dishwasher & washing machine, sometimes it comes up from between the cracks in the patio. If so, hopefully that means the hole or whatever is on top and therefore easily repairable.

I've only been here a couple of months so am having to ask questions and investigate things as my girlfriend isn't very DIY minded :)

Richard, check your rainwater down pipes don't run into the cess pit? And it sounds like broken pipe(s) under your patio. What a bug""er eh? You move thousands of miles away and the old fosse septique attaches itself to your coat tails!

Good luck in sorting it out and i hope you are enjoying your new life...