Jet Washing

connolls

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone has had any success using a jet wash to clean rendering ?

We want to tidy up the front of the house, but can't afford to paint the whole thing as yet.

We have very sound rendering on the front of the house but rain, weather, etc. etc. have left dark staining under the windows and want to know if a jet wash would do the trick to clean it. (before we go out and spend money on one)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards Mel.

I have to say crepe (?) is quite pourous, so when I did the front of ours I used the patio brush attachment rather than the full force of a jet was. Water, especially high pressure water WILL get in/underneath if it can, and you could lose patches. Just my opinion mind you!

Thanks for the replies,

Yes I thought about the high pressure water getting behind the render so thanks for confirming my concerns about that. Think I will have a go with a brush and see how it goes.................if anyone knows of a cheap but decent artisan that does outside painting please let me know as I think it may come to that in the end. (Dept. 87)

Regards Mel.

I have had a power washer for years they really are quite good. The thing about cleaning the outside of the house is you need a chemical first (don't know it's name but ask at the Brico). If you buy a good power washer then they have a tank for the cleaning fluid which adds it to the water as you clean. The trick is to apply this first by standing back a bit, more like spraying really then to turn the dispenser off and go back and power wash. You need about five to ten minutes between application and washing. This is also the method a good painter will use before he paints the outside. Personally I view crepe the same way as pebble dash, don't paint it. Once you do it your resigned to having to paint it again and again although spraying is the best way of painting the outside, ding it with a roller will take ages and its really hard work.

Once again the confusion between crepi and enduit (render), the French are just as bad.

If your wall is rendered with chaux based enduit de façade/renovation then you should have no worries about un coup de karcher, if its crepi well it all depends on what is underneath and how it was put on, I have done all my facades and in most places its stuck like **** to a blanket and I could pressure wash it all day long, in others it is already coming away due to rising damp and I use the Karcher to strip it back to where it is still bonded before repairing.

I am going to be doing ours soon as I can.  I have a supply of brick cleaning acid, a pump action rose spray, a stiff brush and pressure washer set to wide spray rather than jet.

Bring it on, lets see what our house is like under all that loose render [6]

Had a (french) man with a van call by and ask if I wanted our finish renovated, he did a small square to illustrate, looked great, but didn't take him up on it as we had already arranged for re-painting. After he left we realised he had sprayed the wall with a bleach solution, the smell was a giveaway, but I must admit it looked good!!

• 2 weeks later...
If the render is lime a gentle scrub with bicarb soluton will generally do the trick. Brick acid is normally 10% hydroclric and will do long term damage to the lime( highly alkaline) Cement render can stand a good jet wash on a wide spray but you can get lifting or start the process of jacking out if the render is in poor condidtion. Afraid the safest method is a good stiff brush and good weather. And a good silicate paint will last 15/20 years on cement or lime but its highly breathable and has an excellent finish. Hope this helps.

[quote user="andrewp"]If the render is lime a gentle scrub with bicarb soluton will generally do the trick. Brick acid is normally 10% hydroclric and will do long term damage to the lime( highly alkaline) Cement render can stand a good jet wash on a wide spray but you can get lifting or start the process of jacking out if the render is in poor condidtion. Afraid the safest method is a good stiff brush and good weather. And a good silicate paint will last 15/20 years on cement or lime but its highly breathable and has an excellent finish. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Great, thanks for the advice.  I was a bit worried about the acid on lime stone to be honest.

Our pierre apparent lime render was pretty rough, and a hose wash started to heave it off in great chunks, worse was that about 5cm in was just field clay as mortar and some of the stone worked loose, it has been rerendered lime mortar (pierre raisin now) to hold it all together on two sides now (2 still look a sight, bit to do[Www]) but care needs to be taken if it is just clay mortar behind the render . . .

Probably not the best (I'm sure someone will be able to advise) or the cheapest solution for you but the previous owner of our house loved birds and decided to attract them to a large part of the inset wall surface surrounding the french windows by rubbing pork fat onto the wall. They had only recently paid to have the wall rendered with chaux and now there was this large unsightly grease patch which nothing would shift. In the end I bought some Sandtex in a matching colour and painted over the area. That was a couple of years ago and the patch has not come through. Whether Sandtex should be painted over chaux I do not know but it's done and I wouldn't mind doing the whole wall at some point with the sandtex.

I would point out that when it rains, the chaux area deepens in colour the sandtex area does not!

Chris

Next time you go in the supermarket take a look in the bleach and cleaning section, I bought a product BEC J.NET Gros travaux in 5 litre plastic "bidons" white with red and blue writing/picture. Cost about 5 euros?? Spray this on your walls/patio and you may well find you don't even need to powerwash!! certainly restored my wall and patio looked like new. It is a bleach based product.

tim