Oh No, another fosse question??

My wife "read somewhere", but cannot remember where, that "it's bad for the fosse to put coffee grounds down the sink". Her reasoning is that they are insoluble and will build up a layer in the bottom of the tank. Given the proportion of coffee grounds to other waste material I have to suggest that such a "layer" would be minimal. Its a pain to be emptying the coffee pot into a sieve in the small sink to drain the grounds through sheets of kitchen paper.

Does anyone have a definitive answer[blink] please ?????

I don't have a definitive answer but I'm on the side of your wife, if only on the grounds (see what I did there?) that any insoluble solids will build up in the fosse even if it is only a little at a time. I also 'read somewhere' that most of the accumulated solids in a fosse are a result of washing dirt off hands etc. Dunno if it's true though and I'm not prepared to investigate.

Fortunately my back door is right by the kitchen so the coffee grounds and tea leaves get thrown on a patch of garden just outside. Doesn't seem to have done the garden any harm.

I'm with Pierre -but I stick them in the compost along with the tea.  I wouldn't dream of draining mine - I just bung them in the compost bin along with any liquid left, no seive and no fosse involved.  The fewer solids that go down your drains the better, surely, fosse or not?

One cafetiere per day using 2 tbl spoons coffee = 40ml

25 days = 1 litre

1500 litre fosse

102 years to fill with coffee

Assuming used coffee has a smaller volume than dry then it will take longer.

Surely you would have it emptied before then?

I can't do smilies, so please assume lots of smiles here ................................................................................

I add water to the grounds in the cafetiere and I tip the contents in the ground near the hedges, on the lawn and on the veg patch, making sure to do it in different places so that no one place gets full of coffee grounds!

Nice in the morning to walk around the garden, look at trees, flowers, birds, etc.....[:D]

One feels that milady has rather bought down in her new property, as the chateau was getting too much for her, particularly maintaining the moat! Thus, the plebian garden as opposed to grounds....... unless she has fooled all of us and bought another, moatless chateau[6]

[quote user="woolybanana"]One feels that milady has rather bought down in her new property, as the chateau was getting too much for her, particularly maintaining the moat! Thus, the plebian garden as opposed to grounds....... unless she has fooled all of us and bought another, moatless chateau[6][/quote]

I remember an early decription of the new abode. There was mention of something like "a covered glass walkway" which I believe is code for a three storey glass atrium.

Sounds just as grand as the old place which I heard down the local brasserie is being rented to returning Romas  .[:P]

Hmmm, I'm beginning to grasp the scale of the problem and reluctantly concede that, on this occasion, my wife was possibly correct[:'(] .  After all if moats are being filled in with discarded coffee grounds, what chance has our fosse??

Unfortunately there is nowhere immediately convenient near either the front or back door to throw out the remains of the tea or coffee pot.[+o(]

That's it, here's S&H at it as well!

I'm going to take out a Superinjunction to stop people identifying me and my chateau...

Comment on dirait en français "la superinjunction"?

Now, be afraid, be very afraid......OK, please, will you?[:)] (smiling ingratiatingly)

Ah ha, seems we north of Hadrian's Wall are unaffected by super-injunctions granted by their Lordships in London Town and I doubt if the mairie in our commune has even heard of the word.  So there [;-)].

But travelling south to catch the ferry or use the tunnel might just expose us to the wrath of the legal paparazzi so, sorry. [:D]

PS you can hire diggers at Loxam (branches throughout the country) that would be suitable for digging out moats.[I]