moving to france very soon...

rosie

[quote user="bodie"].. Friends?[/quote]

Yep![:D] 

We aren't really free to lapse into chit chat in serious threads, but as I said before, it happens from time to time. I understand it must look like gobbledygook to someone who just happens across it, though.[;-)]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="bodie"]Of course i wont be able to buy a house unless i can provide the notaire with evidence of either E121 or private medical insurance  ( or so i understand) and so back to the drawing board[/quote]

Are Notaires actually asking for this now. Where is your source I wonder ?

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="bodie"]Of course i wont be able to buy a house unless i can provide the notaire with evidence of either E121 or private medical insurance  ( or so i understand) and so back to the drawing board[/quote]

Are Notaires actually asking for this now. Where is your source I wonder ?

[/quote]

So how would this effect me as a potential second home purchaser with no intent of taking out French residency and planning to be in France less than  6 months/year?  My plan has been to cover health requirements via EHIC and normal holiday insurance cover. Am I missing something?

[quote user="DerekJ"]

So how would this effect me as a potential second home purchaser with no intent of taking out French residency and planning to be in France less than  6 months/year?  My plan has been to cover health requirements via EHIC and normal holiday insurance cover. Am I missing something?  [/quote]

What you plan to do is absolutely fine, Derek, and is what we've been doing for the past 5 years.  The need for private health insurance / E121 is only for those intending to move to France permanently.

Hey ErnieY i have absolutely no recall about where i got the info about providing proof of medical insurance or elegibility when purchasing  a house in France.  So far i've had info from Citizens advice bureau, this forum and articles on the web.  I've also read loads of magazines including living France so i can't remember the source as there have been so many.  I must've read it somewhere though, cos its been stressing me out since i read/heard about it!  If anyone knows anything to the contrary, please can you let us all know?  Thanks

To the best of my knowledge no such thing has yet been mentioned on this forum, it's the sort of thing which very likely would. Even if this were coming in the dust hasn't even settled on the health changes yet so it seems a bit premature.

On the other hand it could be yet another example of individuals inventing/applying their own rules [;-)]

It's a bit like stories of some Notaires demanding to see valid house insurance before enacting a sale, like we were told for instance. We had taken it out because we naturally would have anyway but it was never as much as mentioned on the day.

Hey ErnieY its killing me to know where i got this info.  I'll keep trawling everything i have to see if i can find the source.  I too hope its hearsay or rumour.  You mentioned in passing about the changes to the healthcare.  Everyone is on tenterhooks awaiting the outcome but do you or anyone reading this know when in April its expected?  And who is it expected from, the French government or our own DWP? Thanx

[quote user="bodie"]You mentioned in passing about the changes to the healthcare.  Everyone is on tenterhooks awaiting the outcome but do you or anyone reading this know when in April its expected?  And who is it expected from, the French government or our own DWP? Thanx [/quote]

No more waiting... see here: http://www.frenchhealthissues.eu/latest_news/minister_grants_relief_23_01.htm

Thanx Clair.Not as sharp as i'd like to be.  So if i manage to get an E121 from our DWP and move to France in April, i still wont get access into the French healthcare system?  And i'll then have to provide my own medical insurance for the first 5 years of residency in France? 

No, quite the opposite as it says on Clair's second link. E121 holders were never at risk in the health debacle.

If you obtain an E121 then you will be covered immediately however there can be a sting in the tail if it is awarded under DLA, as opposed to you having reached pensionable age (and being in receipt of a government pension, however small).

I'm sure others who may be in possession of a DLA related E121 can clarify better than I but my understanding is that DLA can be reassessed at any time and if you lose it you lose it you lose your E121 also.

Obviously if this happens whilst you are still under pensionable age, or have not lived in France for 5 years, then you could possibly find yourself in an expensive bind.

It's vital for you to establish your entitlement BEFORE you commit to anything.

Bodie,

As I understand your situation, you were in receipt of DLA prior to 1992, which means you 'should' receive an E121 automatically with no problems, however it will be subject to periodical re-assessment.

Also, I believe you intend to work once you have moved? If that is indeed the case, then you will receive French healthcare by paying cotistations to your local URSSAF office, and will have no need for an E121.

You will however require top-up insurance to cover any shortfall from their 70% contribution. This will cover the outstanding 30%, and should not be a probelm to obtain. (Any condition that is covered by an ALD, should be covered 100% for those conditions, subject to your doctors assessment - see this excellent translation of ALD conditions by Nickel on this thread)

DLA is not the same as Incapacity Benefit, which is exportable. You will still be entitled to your DLA benefit, regardless of whether you work or not. The ongoing case regarding DLA being transferable overseas shouldn't affect you at all, as you were in receipt of it before 1992. Those who receive DLA dated after 1992 are the ones hanging on the clarification as to whether it will qualify for an E121.

You would do very well to read the FHI site, although since the recent announcement, it is having a make-over to update it's information, as much of it is now thankfully not required.

The French Healthcare Issues site is here: http://www.frenchhealthissues.eu/default.htm

This page deals with new residents after 23/11/07: Click here

DWP are struggling to understand all the changes themselves, but we hope, will eventually catch up.

Hope this makes it clearer