Cubic metre of sand in those big canvas sacks!

Angie

Hi there

We need to buy a couple of cubic metres of sand.  We would need it delivered in those canvas type bags as don't have anywhere it could be dumped loose.  I think I have seen these bags in our local(ish) builder's merchant but can someone tell me please what the name is of the sand I need to ask for - its for blockwork and bricklaying (sharp sand?) so obviously no ballast in it.  Also if anyone has bought sand in these sacks do you have an idea of price per cubic metre (or bag)?  I know there will be a delivery charge on top. Many thanks as always

The builders' yard that I use sells sand graded by size of the grain; for fine mortar and pointing I use "sable 02"   (that's zero-deux, not a letter "O" !).   The last price I had was 33.35€ cu m plus TVA. The supplier will advise if you tell him what job you are planning.

As I live 10 miles from the yard and delivery is expensive I collect it myself in my trailer. I can't store large quantities in any case. The trailer takes a quarter of a cubic metre plus 3 x 32 or 35kg sacks of cement or chaux and is then on the limit for payload.

I've never bought materials in bags and in fact haven't seen them here. I suspect you'd have to buy them rather than "borrow" them as you do with some suppliers in UK and you're also reliant on a lorry with a crane, so you need access for the jib.

I have bought sand and also gravel in the fabric bags mentioned, in my case they were 500kg load which was convenient because my trailer had that capacity.

They were lowered into the trailer from the forks of a fork lift truck and at home I unloaded by slashing the bag and allowing the contents to spill out onto my storage area. I think it may be possible to slide the bags out using a winch to pull them but I haven't tried that method - yet.

It is obviously feasible to construct a support frame for a winch to lift the bags out of the trailer if the numbers warrant it. Otherwise there is no alternative to paid for delivery.

I got a couple of these bags from Big Mat,  http://www.bigmat.fr/  to find your local branch and yes they were a cubic metre each and the bags were included in the price (around €33 IIRC).   I was told they are not allowed to reuse the bags in case they split.   At the time, delivery was included too but that was a couple of years ago and maybe a promotion offer, can't remember. A truck came down my very small lane and the bags were delivered by a crane with an impressive reach, all very easy! 

[quote user="powerdesal"]I have bought sand and also gravel in the fabric bags mentioned, in my case they were 500kg load which was convenient because my trailer had that capacity. They were lowered into the trailer from the forks of a fork lift truck and at home I unloaded by slashing the bag and allowing the contents to spill out onto my storage area. I think it may be possible to slide the bags out using a winch to pull them but I haven't tried that method - yet. It is obviously feasible to construct a support frame for a winch to lift the bags out of the trailer if the numbers warrant it. Otherwise there is no alternative to paid for delivery.[/quote]

Hi Ok

Just a thought for those loading their 500kg trailers ..... One m3 of sand  is 1.76 tonnes .....ooops

Dave [:$]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="powerdesal"]Very true Dave, which is why I got ( and said so above ) a 500kg load.[/quote]

So you have a 750kg trailer then [Www]

[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't overload a trailer would I - that would be against the law !!!!!! :)

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="powerdesal"]Very true Dave, which is why I got ( and said so above ) a 500kg load.[/quote]

So you have a 750kg trailer then [Www]

[/quote]
                   Hi ok

No  mine is  2600kg   !  but fully French legal

Dave [8-|]

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to bother you all again.  We also now need to order (with the soft sand recommended!) a couple of sacks of what is called in the UK "ballast" for laying a concrete path.  What do I need to ask for please?  Have found out that our localish Brico don't charge for delivery if you order over 300 euros worth so we might aswell get it all delivered at the same time. Thanks as always.