Recommended books on French electrics

ealandbob

There are plenty of books available in the brico's - L'installation Electrique, Electricite pas-a-pas, Maitresser L'electricite - to name but a few. They all have plenty of pictures, which can be very useful!

But the methods are so different from the UK, that it may be sensible for you to get a local electrician to assist you with the design.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, as mentioned above one of the best books is L'installation électrique by Thierry Gallauziaux and David Fedullo. It has most of the information you will need. This book keeps popping up all over French forums. The only snag, as per all French wiring books, Yes its in French. You can get it from Amazon.fr.

I'm an English electrician and will be going to my dads place in France (old farm house) in a few weeks to wire it up for him so I translated this book into English. This was done on a computer (scanned, character recognitioned and translated to word documents into pigeon English). Looking through it now it tells you almost all you need to know including 3 phase installations (and a lot of what you don't). The English is not perfect but all the pictures are there and is easily zipped and emailed but I worn you its over 350 pages and took me 4 hours to print it to paper in colour. Good luck!

As far as I know as I have bought the book I can do with it as I wish for personal use and as long as I do not sell it / make profit. If someone emails me and says they have also bought the book then as long as I give my translation for free then I can’t see a problem. Only trying to help. Thanks for your concern.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="softycrofty"]now you can download it your self by going to yahoo mail online and signing in as:

User id- [email protected]

Password- getthebook

Please do not abuse and leave for others in the future.

http://edit.europe.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=uk[/quote]

Hi,

Many thanks, I have downloaded your translated version. I have the French issue as well.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for that SoftyCrofty, must have taken an age to get that done.

I do actually have the book and have succesfully used it to wire two rooms so far in spite of my lack of French. This will make a big diff.

I shan't print it it tho', I'l put it on the laptop and use that. subject to having a leccy supply of course !!!

The yahoo link no longer works due to someone changing the password so put the book into one pdf file and uploaded it on upload.com
So you can download it by clicking the link below and type in the security no. shown then you should get the option to download it.
Hope this works and lasts a bit longer this time.
Please post to let me know that its working.

http://www.uploadhut.com/id16975/all pages in one.pdf

• 5 years later...

I recently contacted SoftyCrofty (thanks) re this book, as we are about to start rewiring our place. We may well use a local electrician for some of the work, but it will be good to understand the subject first. He provided the following links for a current copy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uvobt9
http://speedy.sh/dfgk9/all-pages-in-one.pdf

As he has said before, rather large. Lots of studying for us to do before our next trip!!

• 3 weeks later...
Just came across an article in the now defunct The French Paper, a book called "Electricity in your French house". Written by Thomas Malcom who apparently is a French resident retired electrician and can be bought at Amazon.co.uk or www.eyrolles.com

I have absolutely no connection with this publication!! Just checked with Amazon and it is still in stock together with a Kindle version.