How do net curtains work?

michelin79

I don't know if House Renovations is the right place for this post - it doesn't seem to sit well with your 3 yards of gravel or slapping on the crepi.

I rather like the look of nets hanging taut across the window. If I do this, rather than with gather, will they still work ie will they prevent people on the outside looking in? I've done internet searches and all the information I can find is on manufacturers' sites and they say you should use 2, 2.5, or even 3 times the width of the window. But, putting my cynical hat on for a minute, they would say that wouldn't they?

Does anyone have experience of net curtains without a gather or would anyone like to suggest the physics of how they work ie how can you see out but not in?

You can buy this type of curtain material by the meter in many shops in France. (M. Bricolage included) It comes in window widths usually fairly narrow and the long edges are already finished so no need to hem these.

Attach hooks to the top of your window frames. Make a casing at the top of the curtain length and push the rod (tringle) through the casing and hang. There are some lovely lightweight linen (look) curtains around and these work well if not gathered and are hung taut. Not usually necessary but you could make a casing at the top and bottom of the curtain if you wish.

Tringles can be bought in many shops including supermarkets and are usually the extending type that will fit most windows.

As the curtain is attached to the frame you can open the windows without disturbing the curtains.

Note: 2 and 2.5 width advice is for a different type of curtain with a gathered look.

The link below seems to make sense.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130326064925AAKiOo3

I also suspect that where the source of light is placed in the room will make a big difference at night.

As for amount of net required, I would suspect, though have no experience,  that the net hole size/ thickness would be a considerable factor as well as the length of curtain.

Yes, I ended up putting them up as for all we had no neighbours who could see directly into our living room from their homes, when they walked past, as they did regularly they could see straight in and in fact looked in. So up went the flat nets, I bought some I liked and in France there was an excellent selection.

If we had the lights on, then they could still see in, so when the lights went on then on an evening we shut the shutters and eventually had curtains too.

There are alternatives, but this suited me at the time.

Hi,

If you use a sheer linen fabric you will get a good deal of privacy and you will be able to see out although in the evening with the lights on you will still get some privacy from the outsiders looking in but not as much as during the day!

Here's how I've made mine for a portiere rod which you can buy from bricomarche and which swings allowing you to open the windows.

Cut the fabric to the drop required allowing for seams top, bottom and sides plus the pocket for the heading.

For the pocket heading sew twice along each side of the pocket for strength.

For the bottom edge slide a small piece of flat wooden beading or a thin piece of flat metal to keep the curtain taut.

Another option if the window doesn't open is to fix a small wooden baton across the top of the window. Staple or glue velcro to it.

Fix the opposite of the velco to the curtain and press in place, this makes it easy to remove for washing. (No need for a pocket in the curtain if using this method).

Another alternative is to make a roman blind using sheer linen which would attach to the wooden baton using velcro to attach (it does work as I have two blinds made in this way). It means I can pull the blind up and down to any position I want, pull it all the way up to have the windows open and of course take them down easily for washing!

If you are interested in how to make a roman blind I can post the details.

Hope this is of help.

• 3 months later...
I've found that some of them have repeat patterns which exactly match the size of my windows without any waste. They also have strategically placed holes to put a rod through so you don't need to make a casing..

We don't have close neighbours and few passers by but we use them to diffuse bright sunlight.

Edit: I should have said that you can sometimes pick up old lace at vide greners.

You could look on ebay.fr for antique lace. I've definitely seen other antique fabric on there, but usually just pieces, not on a roll. Search under dentelles anciennes.

No-one in our area has curtains, unless they're right in the middle of the village. not many have floor mats either. Our grandchildren think that Granny and Grandpa must be very poor - they can't afford carpets and curtains [:D]

We have net/shear fabric curtains on both our front bedroom windows. They are both huge patio door type and the idea is that when we have visitors they provide privacy to the bedrooms during the day when folk are just outside in the garden. Even stood right by and looking into the windows you can't see into the rooms. But you can see out quite plainly. We often get birds on the terrace just outside the bedrooms and you can walk righ up to the windows and they just don't see you. Great for photographing them!

2 to 2 1/2 times the width makes them look far more attractive. I think that the flat ones do not look good. The 2 right hand windows are the bedrooms. Ours, left of the 2, has the net curtains drawn back, the 2nd bedroom, right, has them closed.

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/Wholehouse_zpsb7d74d7e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Wholehouse_zpsb7d74d7e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The material we bought has a weighted seam running across the bottom so that they hang better too. SWMBO made them..

We have net/shear fabric curtains on both our front bedroom windows. They are both huge patio door type and the idea is that when we have visitors they provide privacy to the bedrooms during the day when folk are just outside in the garden. Even stood right by and looking into the windows you can't see into the rooms. But you can see out quite plainly. We often get birds on the terrace just outside the bedrooms and you can walk righ up to the windows and they just don't see you. Great for photographing them!

2 to 2 1/2 times the width makes them look far more attractive. I think that the flat ones do not look good. The 2 right hand windows are the bedrooms. Ours, left of the 2, has the net curtains drawn back, the 2nd bedroom, right, has them closed.

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/Wholehouse_zpsb7d74d7e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Wholehouse_zpsb7d74d7e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The material we bought has a weighted seam running across the bottom so that they hang better too. SWMBO made them..

Jonzjob, there are net curtains and ............................errrm net curtains. Different types for different windows.

I would do as you have done and had the 2.5 x widths for these big windows. However smaller windows and  door windows especially in older properties can take the "flat against the window", non gathered variety of fabric.

It's worth checking out your local branch of the charity Emmaus, in case you find some pretty antiqu-ish nets there. I'd say the flat sort are just fine on small windows. I did just the same for all my bedrooms, with quite open-mesh designs, and you really can,t see in unless the light is on.

Angela

• 1 month later...
Did anyone try that film that I saw advertised, I think in Mr Bricolage, that you put on the window, you can see out as clearly as if it wasn't there but looking from the outside it appeared to be a mirror.