Talking kitchens

mint

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Théière"]In theory from Ikea's web site, the cabinets are 60cm and the worktop 63.5 cm so it should be 3.5cm.

Idun 1/2" is too little but what height would you like?

Yes mint, standard BSP sizes (caveat usually)

[/quote]

EDIT: now I have been looking some IKEA cabinets are 61.8cm's deep so only 1.7cm over hang

Théière wrote the following post at 10/02/2015 17:59:

In theory from Ikea's web site, the cabinets are 60cm and the worktop 63.5 cm so it should be 3.5cm.

Idun 1/2" is too little but what height would you like?

My short unit is 81cms high including the work top, titchy little legs on them and it is a wonderful work height, and good for kneading bread and rubbing in pastry, especially pastry, where one's arms are up in the air all the time above the bowl.

My 'normal' size one including the worktop is 90.5cms.

In France the units were about 88.5, maybe 88cms, but that couple of cms makes one heck of a difference in work height for a 'short house' like me.

And the overhang, well, I took the best I could get, so just over 2.1cms. I do have a spare kitchen with ikea work tops in it and they are 62 deep as are the howden ones.

If you look at B&Q or Magnet or Wickes, all their kitchens work tops are just about flush to their units. (all very well for those that have fancy kitchens and don't cook) When I make a comment about them, I am told that this is how it is and it is implied that I am wrong.

I know I had a good overhang in France of at least an inch, maybe more. Ofcourse I've sold that house, but I do know what I had.

With non IKEA units (i.e. with a service duct at the back) you can always trim off a bit from the back to create a bigger overhang.  I have gone off Brico depot kitchens, they maybe melamine covered cabinets but they are made of MDF, not in my house they won't be, a cardboard kitchen! that's worse than sawdust like the rest.

Cabinets are on adjustable legs so you should be able to lower them by 3cm from 90 to 87, you would need to do some extra tiling and reduce the plinth panels by 3cm too. Or cut a bit more off the legs to lower it further.  In the French house we have a low section under the window and if I fit a new kitchen in there I will buy units with a drawer above the cupboard and remove that drawer, cut down the cabinet to get the correct height.

Do you really prefer chipboard to MDF Théière?

Whatever is better is still the lesser of two evils.

I've done a lot of joinery with veneered MDF and once I found a good way to do end grain fixings or ideally avoid them I really like working with it.

Here's one I made before [:D]

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Coquelicotel/CIMG2782_zps8872afb2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Coquelicotel/CIMG2783_zps645f50d5.jpg[/IMG]

Nice work Chancer, if it was hydrofuge MDF it wouldn't be so bad but in a kitchen, ordinary MDF? Got some doors on the current kitchen made from MDF, it's Schriber but the doors have blown where water has got into the edge.

Yes lesser of two weevils, there was a themed hotel bedroom made entirely from MDF but waxed and it was well done and probably waterproof ish.

In the UK there are fire regs for buildings as I am sure you know, had to attend to one where the brigade watered it all down and the staircase had collapsed (means of escape) made from MDF! 

Don't mention the formaldehyde.

A quick update on our 6 year old blender saga......

The new glass jug just arrived, from Germany, via UPS. Not only did Kompernas supply the jug, also they supplied a new top and a new base fitting (which actually screws on, not bonded!) but also the whole bottom assembly, complete with new cutters!

For the princely sum of just €15, including carriage.

Brand: Bifinit, from Lidl.

Now wonder German manufacturing companies are the World leaders and Germany is so successful.

Ordered on Feb 5th: delivered on Feb 11th.

[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
Floor in first or last?

We have 2 people working on devis and there seems to be a fundamental difference of opinions as to whether the floor should go in first (before any units are posed) or last, with the laminates slid in under the units and before the plinths.

The first person said he'd need to know what floors we want so that he could make allowance for clearance of the "lames"  to be slid in after the kitchen is complete.

The second person said the floor would have to be completed first.

I have made it clear that the floor would be laminate, along the lines of Karndean as suggested by GG and RH or the stuff from Brico that Chancer speaks so highly of.

Then OH chipped in and said he didn't think it worth laying the floor all over as it would never be seen under the units!  As I am having a largish island, I could see his point of view.

So what have you knowledgeable ones done?  And what trade in the directory would you go to for "floor laying" as I am not sure which type of artisanal "expertise" floor laying comes under?

Having the floor done first would mean that I'd have to empty all my cupboards, sideboards, etc and all the kitchen paraphernalia would be sitting around on every available surface elsewhere in the house until the units are completed.  I blanch at the thought but there we go, some things cannot be avoided.

OTOH, having the floor done last would mean that I'd at least be able to use some of the kitchen until all is finished.

At this point, I am not even thinking about the painting of walls and floors.

A French friend came to visit and she asked me how I was going to cook for the duration of the works.  I do have a gas BBQ last used at least 4 years ago and my trusty microwave.

All comments, opinions, suggestions appealed for and will be more than gratefully received.

On budget conscious jobs the floor goes just under the cabinets and is covered by the plinth so not on show. Quality jobs are usually floored wall to wall and careful protection of the surface when assembling and fitting the kitchen and the the protective cover is removed afterwards.  The protection is usually twin walled plastic sheet like that used for UK for sale boards etc 

Thank you, Teapot.

My problem is setting a budget as I am not sure where to pitch it.  I know I'd have to have a stab at it.  My aim is to end up with a functional kitchen, spending what I need to but not OTT and it has to look good for when/if we need to sell.

It's very small so the sums involved should not be too fearsome. Unlike Greece, I don't plan to ask for a bailout.

[quote user="Théière"]On budget conscious jobs the floor goes just under the cabinets and is covered by the plinth so not on show. Quality jobs are usually floored wall to wall and careful protection of the surface when assembling and fitting the kitchen and the the protective cover is removed afterwards.  The protection is usually twin walled plastic sheet like that used for UK for sale boards etc 

[/quote]

Mint, our kitchen has the Karndean flooring under the plinths but not fully fitting the floor, just as Théière describes. It was all what I would call budget, but not cheap, if you see what I mean.

It's hard to believe it will be 4 years old in August!

Thanks, GG, budget is fine and it IS absolutely true that what is under the units will remain out of sight?

Even if I or a new owner were to want to change the units at a later date, the parts of the floor under the units will never match up with the worn and exposed parts anyway.

Now, to find a floor-layer so what are they called in French?

Also I have noticed massive differences in the cost of hoods![:-))]  Is a thousand pound hood really many times better than one that costs, say, 150 quid?

I like Q's hood where the filters are stainless steel and can be washed in a dishwasher.

Other thing is, I'd like a hood in a neutral colour like white or cream or maybe even black but not stainless steel as I find stainless steel very needy in terms of care!

Our artisan friend with an Ikea kitchen does not have plinths, but sort

of decorative legs, so that you can see the legs and see under the

units. Actually it looked nice, but I would not liked to have washed

under the units.

Strange old thing a budget, years ago when we

were going to install a kitchen in France, and I may have already said

this, no matter where I went, what appeared to be a budget place, or

high class, it always worked out at the same price'ish.  We ended up

getting ours with ready made cupboards from CAMIF, and that was nearly

half the price of elsewhere...... I too had a budget that all others

exceeded[;-)]

I find all cooker hoods 'needy'. I suppose for those that don't cook it isn't a problem, but for those of us that do, it can be a lot of cleaning from time to time, probably should be more often than 'time to time', but I forget.[:D]

• 5 months later...
OK, OK, we're all bored stiff with my kitchen including myself[:$]

However, I just HAVE to come back to thank everybody and to reassure you all that I don't think that there is one piece of advice that I haven't heeded.

So, in no order of importance, my thanks go to.

GG, RH and Chance re the flooring.  Didn't go Karndean in the end because the installer was nervous about that.  Had the samples and all info from Karndean and their customer services cannot be faulted.

Went with Chancer's suggestion of Gerflor Senso.  Went a bit OTT and bought the industrial grade, pricey but look wonderful, non slip, good looking , easy to clean and, most important of all, the dog likes it[:D]

Hood, thank you, Q and Teapot.  Did buy the Electrolux one that is suspended from the ceiling.  Not possible to extract to the outside but that is of no great consequence in the end because the extraction rate is superb and I now have 3 windows in use plus double doors.  Certainly looks superb and WORKS!  Also, noise level is a whisper compared to my old one.

Can't talk about ovens without mentioning idun.  Id, I have the mascarpone in to make your pastry but have only checked some technical issue with Belling in the UK today so not yet tested on pastry.  Grill and fan oven work just fine.  Thanks to GG for recommending telescopic shelves and not having oven at stomach-scorching level.  Oven now just below waist level and telescopic shelves are le cherry sur le gateau!

Rose and everyone else commenting on drawers, YES, all drawers except for about 3 cupboards.  Teapot again, thanks, handles all lined up as you have suggested and looking and operating beyond expection.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I have encountered many pluses and a few minuses.  Anyone out there re-fitting a kitchen, I can now give you the benefit of all by blood, sweat and tears.

For the technical bods, I have now even got "dimmerable" LEDS!

Splendid to have a report on your kitchen, Mint. May it work well for you for a very long time - I feel I ought to have a bottle of champagne, but instead of smashing it on your units I'll drink it!

It's now 4 years since ours was installed and I enjoy it a lot, so nice to return to from our tiny kitchen in France - although that works well, just a bit short on space.

Hope your leak isn't too worrying - or maybe your nice man has managed to sort it for you.

I haven't been keeping up with this for the past few years, so please excuse me if this has already bin mentioned?

Did you know that the recess at the bottom of the cabinets is so that the wife can stand closer to the sink?[Www][geek][blink][kiss]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Did you know that the recess at the bottom of the cabinets is so that the wife can stand closer to the sink?[Www][geek][blink][kiss]

[/quote]

Rubbish; it is for my OH to be able to get his feet close enough to be comfortable whilst preparing and chopping the veggies that he has grown in his/our potager when he is making our evening meal. [6]

Sue

[quote user="idun"]mint, what make is your kitchen? I know you said it was german.

[/quote]

id, I've just written tartines or a great long post which somehow just vanished so I won't bother re-writing as it must have been several hundred words[+o(]

So now my words of wisdom have been consigned to the land of nod!

Going to try your pastry tomorrow or day after and will report back.

The kitchen itself is a Hacker, with a couple of dots over the "a" in the German.

Well in our house the recess (no kick boards) is for cat yoga - ie cat with great determination & contortions indescribable eventually manages to slither underneath & then takes great delight in scaring the wits out of whoever is at the sink by tapping or grabbing their ankles and it becomes yoga for adults when she takes a live mouse under there!

Mrs KG

[quote user="knee gel"]Well in our house the recess (no kick boards) is for cat yoga - ie cat with great determination & contortions indescribable eventually manages to slither underneath & then takes great delight in scaring the wits out of whoever is at the sink by tapping or grabbing their ankles and it becomes yoga for adults when she takes a live mouse under there!

Mrs KG[/quote]

Mrs KG, I LOVE your cat story.

I remember someone posting on here, re wood-burning ovens, that her cat seemed able to walk across it, practically making hissing sounds where the moisture from its paws hit the hot plate!

Cats are just such incomprehensible creatures and I can understand fully why Egyptians worshipped them as gods.