Plywood?

nectarine

I need to get some. Looked up the word and it says "contreplaqué" ... so if I ask for that, will I get ply?

Just checking, I don't often venture into the mancave that is a DIY store and want to be sure I'm understood. I assume that Brico places will do it.

Thanks for all advice.

I have found good quality ply in Leroy Merlin (but expensive I will grant you) and the last time I bought ply in the UK (more than 20 years ago it must be said) it was cheap and absolute rubbish.

I think what that says is that you get whet you pay for.

General recommendation would be to look for European wood (poplar seems to give a good finish) and avoid cheap Asian hardwood finishes.

I have an engineers toolcase that my father passed on to me when he retired, he made it when he first went into enginnering and it must be 50-60 years old now.

Whats that to do with plywood? Well my fathers toolcase is unique in that it is made from plywood instead of sheet metal, not just any plywood but the best that money could buy and the most dimensionally stable, it has sat on the concrete floor of my garage for 30 years and is still as straight and regular as the day it was made, no warping, delamination or moisture uptake.

My father was a apprenticed as a carpenter and then became a pattern-maker making moulds for sand castings, the ply they used is superb and can still be bought today, I still have his patternmakers rule which I have cruelly tricked many people with over the years!!!

I agree that the quality here is about a rough as it gets and that includes a good wood yard near us. I used to buy a load of 12mm ply from Severn Ply in the UK before we moved over 12 years back. Russian birch. It was top quality and not expensive.

I have even bought a small amount of so called marine ply here, a couple of square metres,  and it would not have got anywhere near that cat in the U.K. I have turned ply here and spent 1/2 the time filling the holes that appeared.

C r a p doesn't describe it.

May I ask what it's going to be used for Nectarine?

[quote user="Chancer"]

I have an engineers toolcase that my father passed on to me when he retired, he made it when he first went into enginnering and it must be 50-60 years old now.

Whats that to do with plywood? Well my fathers toolcase is unique in that it is made from plywood instead of sheet metal,[/quote]

That's because it was an "Engineers toolcase" Sheet metal toolboxes is for mechanics n millwrights innit.

I too have my unique plywood tool case. [;-)]

The reason that toolmaker's cabinets are made of wood is that they don't tend to sweat condensation inside like a metal cabinet and make all your expensive tools and measuring instruments rusty.

Mine, which I have had since my apprenticeship, even survived a serious workshop fire and the tools inside were not seriously damaged.

It's going to be used to provide a housing for a fuel tank in a kit car, sort of boxing it in. I've been asked to get some in preparation for a mechanic's visit where the tank is going to be moved from under the vehicle into the rear storage area but some boxing needs to be made. It will be fairly waterproof there (as waterproof as kit cars and soft covers can every be!). I don't have a Leroy Merlin near me, just M. Bricolage and a few independent quincailleries. So if not ply then what might you suggest? And big thanks to everyone for your very helpful answers.

This is made from 1" ply, stuck together to make it about 5" tall. It was awful to work with and there's loads of epoxy in the holes all over the blasted thing!

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Plybowl2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Plybowl2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Plybowl1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Plybowl1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Box in a fuel tank? That would problaby be best done with some 12mm marine ply, but I wouldn't get ply to make a hen shed from M Bricolage if the one near here is owt to go by.

[quote user="Harnser"]The reason that toolmaker's cabinets are made of wood is that they don't tend to sweat condensation inside like a metal cabinet and make all your expensive tools and measuring instruments rusty. Mine, which I have had since my apprenticeship, even survived a serious workshop fire and the tools inside were not seriously damaged.[/quote]

You learn something every day!

When I did my apprenticeship all the toolmakers, machinists and coppersmiths had sheet metal toolcases but then most of us made them as apprentices like my (metal) instrument case but then we had fabrication facilities, likewise most of the other companies that I worked for. I suppose in a pure machine shop or factory without a coppersmiths or sheet metal shop then making them out of wood makes sense.

My fathers one is covered in Formica which is unmarked, another material that definitely aint what it used to be.

If you think ply is expensive in France wait till you see the price for the coloured paper pretending to be Formica [:-))]