What would you do

Wooly says, "Perhaps  being awoken at that time could be put to benefit in another way. Seems a pity to waste all that lovely mutual warmth. Might become a fun rictual to the extent you will be upset on the days the kids dont go to school. A bit like winding the clock in Tristram Shandy"

Wooly, don't worry, I know you meant "ritual" but perhaps you were thinking of "rictus", as in the smile?[:D]

Poppy, I'm glad you're now coming round to the humorous side of all this.  But, seriously, I think double-glazing (if you haven't got that already) might be the answer.

Bon courage!

I take it you don't have a cockerel nearby. 7.45am would be a lie-in, compared to being woken any time from 5.30am. But we see it as part of country life.

Ageing clearly affects people differently. My parents seem to wake and rise earlier and earlier, 6.30 being the norm now. (They are in their 80s.). If a bus stopped outside their house at 7.45am, Dad would be inviting them all in for late breakfast. Bless 'im.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Other than earplugs then I don't see what you can do. You need the squidgy ones like THIS which you roll up and put well into the ear. Properly fitted they are not at all uncomfortable and are remarkably effective. I wear the very same ones when I fly on helicopters and you probably know how noisy they can be !

[/quote]

Earplugs have revolutionised my life, and I am an addict. But I have to take issue with Ernie (sorry Ernie), as I don't agree with his choice of earplugs (believe me, I have probably one of the most comprehensive earplug collections you can imagine)

The very best ones are BOOTS own make wax earplugs. Their French equivalent, Boules Quies, are smaller and less effective. There are several kinds of foam ones, which come in various shape, colour, density, but they don't quite reach the spot.

To test see how effective earplugs are, just clap your hands once, loud and clear. With the very best ones, you will hardly hear a sound.

Great stuff, they can make a new man or a new woman out of you. Bonne chance. Boots wax earplugs could save your sanity.

[quote user="Poppy"]We are already acquainted with the family… [/quote]

Oh well, in that case you are home and dry.  The solution could not be simpler.

The instant they arrive outside your house rush out beaming and effusive.  Engage them in a long, wearisome, and inscrutable conversation in French as broken and tormentingly painful as you can possibly manage, and preferably concerning some subject which you know will not be of the slightest interest to them.  Make embarrassing and repeated efforts to involve the children.  Continue this with the utmost persistence until the bus appears  -  and then add, brightly: 

We are so glad that you have decided to wait for the bus here, because it will give my husband and me a regular opportunity of improving our French.

A demain!

Gengulphus, I think they will be very happy to give us the opportunity to improve our french. Might also give them the opportunity to pop in for coffee and fryup while waiting for the bus we will probably end up babysitting! Give an inch... comes to mind.

Many thanks for all the info on the earplugs they might be the best solution. Think some other suggestions are a bit much for me at that time of the day, I mean the english fryup of course [;-)]

Alan they do have a cockerel but he doesn't wake up until the afternoon so siestas are out [:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Please can I have your dad's address as I rather fancy a full English, cooked by someone else of course![/quote]

He already dishes out enough of my and my siblings' inheritance without my actively sending him more claimants.