payment of tax habitation?

tynan

howdy all

bought a place in the Dordogne last year, anyhow habitation tax arrived to me in England, went to their site, printed off the form and faxed it on with a RIB to the CA bank people who told me I'd done everything correctly.

I assumed that the French tax people would then take the money from my account, I now realise that they haven't, yet

should they have by now? and if they haven't have I******d it up in some way?

thanks

Did you then post the form and rib in the preprinted envelope to the trésor public or whoever it's addressed to?

[quote]howdy all bought a place in the Dordogne last year, anyhow habitation tax arrived to me in England, went to their site, printed off the form and faxed it on with a RIB to the CA bank people who told ...[/quote]

You should have posted the form and rib to the local trésor public who will then contact your bank to set up a direct debit for all future bills.

Bernice

oh dear, I got the impression I was to send it to the bank and the bank (britline) agreed with me when I checked with them

penalty fine on it's way to me I suppose, just about au fait with the ribs etc but I was a little befuddled by the the website and my shocking French, and the translation of the person at my work who says she speaks good French, bah

thanks people, expect more idiotic mishaps and questions over he following months and years

French post gives me the ab dabs, stuff seems to get there in three days or eight weeks, the bigger the bill/payment/cheque inside the slower it gets there, how do they know?

Fear not Tynan you have done it the right way round. In most cases you send the RIB to the outfit you are buying something from. However in this particular case you have done all the hard work, input of Bank details, so they send you a form which you send to the Bank with a RIB. Why you have to send a RIB to your own bank.... because the details of the account are on the form you print out, and if anyone knows about your account the bank does. C'est comme ca , as they say. Oh and just to make doubly sure the Tresor send you a copy of the form you printed out through the post.

Vous trouverez en pièce jointe une autorisation de prélèvement complétée de vos coordonnées bancaires. Après l'avoir datée et signée, il vous appartiendra de l'adresser à votre banque dans les meilleurs délais, accompagnée d'un RIB.

have now spoken to ca britline again and got an utterly opposite answer to my question.

it is now an empahatic 'no, send it to the tresor publique' as opposed to 'yes, send it to us, fax it'

ho hum, fwiw Alexander today seems on the ball, fortunately the enthusiastic young man from December's name escapes me

I'll ask you lot here next time I have a France related issue

thanks again

Yes, I take it that last year wasn't last year at all but 2003. These companies set up prelevements which is, I suppose a direct debit. And it is the company that does it, as in the UK.

Where as a standing order is a virement, which you would do.

I am using both prelevement and virement terms loosely to compare systems here with the systems in british banking.

In my previous reply I included a quote from the email you would have received when you set up the recovery of Taxe D'habitation over the Internet. It is quite clear that you send the form and The RIB to the bank NOT the Tresor Public.

If its any consolation the first year we set it up for the Taxe Fonciere it didn't work, though they admitted it was on their system, so I paid by cheque with no penalty.The following year it worked with no problem. When I set up the Habitation that went through with no problems.

Oh and in every case I sent the papers to the bank, not the T.P.

[quote]Fear not Tynan you have done it the right way round. In most cases you send the RIB to the outfit you are buying something from. However in this particular case you have done all the hard work, input ...[/quote]

This will set up a direct debit for the future but not pay the outstanding bill.

Who so ever lives in and for fonciere owns the property on the 1st of Jan is liable for the taxes for the full year: habitation and fonciere. We then get the bills in around Novemeber of that year. I don't know why you have recieved that bill so late, but normally you will get it/them and be expected to pay it/them in autumn.

good grief, now I'm really confused!

if I've done it right, and my shocking French and the person here with better French were both fairly sure we had at the time, shouldn't the money hve been debited by now?

this relates to the bill I recieved in December 2004, I faxed the printout and rib to the bank in good time for the cut-off, and the person I spoke to at the bank initially said I had dealt with it in time

any idea what to do now (with my shocking French)? I assume they'll get back to me at some point?

thanks for your input

If you set up all the details 8 days before the due/collection date, looks like you have fallen into the same Black Hole that I mentioned. If you are in ,or due to go to France soon, I would get your defence in quickly, and you should be OK. Otherwise send a cheque with a letter , a bit of pigeon french should cheer them up, and again you should be OK. It will be simpler to avoid any possibility of a supplement if you get in there before they actually levy any penalty.

As an aside I have not received a bill for Tax d'Habitation as yet either in UK or France, this was the first year i was due one, last year 2003 I paid the vendor a portion. I received the Tax fonciere here in UK without any bother.

Another note I have read that in the 2005 french budget they intend to add the tv licence fee onto the tax d'habitation.

Bob

Bob, I didn't receive my Tax d'habitation for 2003 (the first time mine was due).  I went in to the Tresor last April and let them know.  I received the bill in Dec for 2003 (after I received the 2004 bill).

I too paid Fonciere on line.  Was given a code number to confirm.  Received reminder (up 10%) in December!