How to pay a bill without a cheque?

Sue56

Usually pay EDF with a cheque when bill come through.  However, just realised only have a couple of cheques left so don't want to use them until new cheque book comes through.

I know I can pay EDF by sending back a certain bit of the payment slip signed and no need for a cheque but not entirely sure how I go about it.  Is is something I need to set up beforehand, fill in any forms or can I simply start it now?

Thanks.

Sue.

Sue

You say that "I know I can pay EDF by sending back a certain bit of the payment slip signed and no need for a cheque"

That is not how it works.  You can set up a preleve ( direct debit) by sending back the slip on the bill and a bank identity slip (RIB), but you have to pay the immediate bill by cheque and you send the cheque with the preleve form and RIB back to EDF.  The preleve will then take care of future bills.  So to pay EDF you will need to use one of your cheques or get the money out of a ATM and go to their offices.

No, you can do it Sue.  Send the bottom slip of the bill, signed and dated with a RIB to EDF.

The next time a bill arrives, all the top bit of the TIP will be filled in with your bank details so you just sign and date it and send it off and EDF will take the sum out of your account.

I pay all my bills like that. 

I don't understand why you have not received new cheque books, normally a bank will automatically renew a carnet as soon as a certain cheque has been reached. You should call in the bank in the next few days to see if they have yours waiting for you as not having any to send out won't wash here and you may get interest added on for late payments of bills.

[quote]I don't understand why you have not received new cheque books, normally a bank will automatically renew a carnet as soon as a certain cheque has been reached. You should call in the bank in the next f...[/quote]

Not with Credit Agricole Charente You have to ask for a new cheque book which takes about a week to arrive

Very strange as I have been with CA for over 15 years and have always had instant renewals throughthe post even before we moved here over ten years ago. I also get instant renewals with CMB, Caisse d'Epargne and Credit Maritime as well. Must be a personal thing.

[quote]No, you can do it Sue. Send the bottom slip of the bill, signed and dated with a RIB to EDF. The next time a bill arrives, all the top bit of the TIP will be filled in with your bank details so you ...[/quote]

No you can't do it Sue,  unless EDF have a system where you live that is different to the rest of France or you have already set up a standing order type arrangement with them.

All Alexis has done is repeat what I said, this sets up the preleve but does NOT pay the immediate bill. You cannot pay the first bill by setting up a preleve after you get the bill, you send off a cheque with the preleve and RIB. this sets up the Direct Debit and you don't have to sign or return a thing after that.  EDF take the money out of your bank on the date they will tell you on your bill.

No.  I do not pay by direct debit.  I send off the TIP on the new bill, signed and dated and it is taken from my account.  I can also go in and pay cash or send a cheque with the TIP if I want if say, my husband pays the bill and not me.  Been doing this for at least ten years. 

EDF has to have the TIP signed and dated before they can take the money out.  I have tried to find a bill not paid to see what it says on the back but I haven't got one.  No doubt that state of affairs won't last long.

Hang on, telecom bill "Le Tip remplace la chéque.  Datez-le, signez et renvoyez-le dans l'enveloppe jointe.  Ajouter votre RIB, RIP ou RICE pour une 1ére utilisation ou pour un changement de coordonéés."

I agree with Alexis. Most public, or semi-public, bodies and utilities can be paid by TIP (titre interbancaire de paiement) - you fill in the paying-in slip and send it, with a RIB or equivalent and no cheque is needed. In fact if you have paid that way before, and none of your details have changed, you don't even need the RIB. If you don't have a RIB then some banks' cash machines, like our local CA's, will print one for you.

Edit - and agree with Pangur too, we posted at the same time.

When we moved here, I was told by those already here that for the first batch of bills, EDF . French Telecom etc we had to pay the first bill and sign and send the preleve form with the cheque and the D/D was set up after that, is the TIP system a different thing and a system where you have to authorise each payment before it is taken out of your bank?   

note that in addition to paying most bills via the particular utility's web site, you can also pay most bills, including EDF/GDF, FT etc online using telefact. You don't need to sign up or login in, simply type in your bill reference and the amount , it will find your bill and enable you to pay by card. In many cases, it is simpler to use this that the actual utility web site.

https://secure.telefact.fr/index.htm

regs

Richard

"we had to pay the first bill and sign and send the preleve form with the cheque and the D/D was set up after that, is the TIP system a different thing and a system where you have to authorise each payment before it is taken out of your bank? "

Yes, the TIP system is different from D/D and works exactly as you describe. Simply attach your RIB (Relevé d'Identité Bancaire) or RIP for La Poste with the first bill. I found, even when we lived in England, that I had just enough time to authorise the payment and get it back to the relevant authority.

Amongst a mass of downsides to French banking the TIP system is a brilliant invention.

Liz (29)

Try as I might I can see no valid reason for not paying all regular bills by direct debit. To do otherwise just gives you a lot of extra work and expense, plus the possibility of forgetting to pay or the cheque getting lost in the post thus incurring a penalty charge or disconnection.

All my utility, car insurance and local tax bills are paid by direct debit and have been for the last 20 years or more.

Can anyone advise - I am in the process of opening my French bank account - in the mean time I paid my first EDF bill by bank draft issued by my Irish bank. Got my second bill but now the bank are no longer issuing drafts drawn on French banks due to problems people have had presenting them. EDF keep on telling me to pay via the internet which would be fine if my account was open. Can I pay using a credit card? How long before they cut people off for non payment?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

To summarise : As I thought before there are several different ways to pay, standing order, direct debit, TIP, cheque or cash. The first two you need to fill in a form beforehand but TIP you can do immediately.

I'm going to send signed TIP with RIB (form at front of my cheque book) and cross fingers that this will pay bill.  Fail or succeed I'll let you know!

With regard to non-receipt of cheque book, me thinks it is probably sitting in the bank waiting for collection or instruction. Seem to remember that I had to phone before and ask them to send it. Will do that tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone -

[quote]No you can't do it Sue, unless EDF have a system where you live that is different to the rest of France or you have already set up a standing order type arrangement with them. All Alexis has done is...[/quote]

Yes you can, I'm afraid - I do it every time, because I don't want to set up a DD.

Attach an RIB & DON'T sign the form - it will be debited from your account. Believe me, it works.

Since failing to pay bills tends to make life very difficult I really don't understand why people do not set up Direct Debits (Prelevement) for them all, except that I have heard that cancelling them sometimes proves problematical when you move house.

I have only had one replacement cheque book in 4 years and that was due to the changeover to the Euro.

Obviously you need to keep track of your finances too so that you don't upset the bank!!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

OK- just to clear up any misunderstanding between members arising from my original post ....

sent TIP (signed and dated) back to EDF together with RIB slip from front of cheque book.

Checked bank account today - money debited, EDF credited, bill settled = everyone happy.

Yes you can pay a bill without a cheque and without setting anything up beforehand.

Many thanks for all advice.

P.S. as suspected cheque book sitting in French bank waiting for my instructions - now on its way to me.