Words on cheques

cs

Help please - I need to write a cheque for 464 euros 31 cents and not sure how to write this in words sounds daft but I've not had to write a cheque above 60 euros!  Thanks   chris

We're all different, I suppose! 

I would write:

Quatre cent soixante-quatre euros et 31/100.

Always works here.  (Mind you, I wrote 2 cheques with NO SIGNATURE AT ALL in the early days, worrying so much about the written words, and they all got cashed with no problems....!)

Chrissie

• 2 weeks later...

Bannon, I would say that these cheques weren't actually 'legal'. I've seen french banks turn cheques away when my belgian neighbour wrote a very logical septante.

And my first thought when I saw your post was 'what pig ignorant customers you have been lumbered with'. Makes me feel ashamed. I'm sorry I know it isn't your fault.

No Lori, the bank didn't call me in either case.  Both payees were respected local artisans and so I guess they took it to the bank and there was much grinning and murmurings of "oh, these pathetic english people!"  Not very professional.

However, on the same tack, we do benefit from being instantly recognisable when we walk in and can do all sorts of strange transfers of huge amounts without any queries or requests for ID etc.

Swings and roundabouts.

A French friend, whose husband runs a business account with a large local bank, was horrified to learn that a young man came in off the street, told the bank he was her husband, said he'd forgotten his account details and had left his ID at home.  The bank obliged and let him withdraw a huge sum in cash, actually more than the business account had in it.  Fortunately he was "known to the police" and was picked up the following week.  This didn't stop the bank trying to charge the real client for being overdrawn!!!!

Chrissie (81)

Chrissie - I have heard similar stories from both French and expat friends here. I find it absolutely incredible, some of these stories. They indicate a CLEAR lack of professionalism. The branch of Credit Agricole, where we opened our account is quite professional - has the same staff for the last 4 years ! However, we ended up buying a house in a neighboring village where the branch is pathetic - at best ! Staff is CONSTANTLY changing, no one ever seems to ask for identification and there is no way they know these people - the counter staff is practically never the same .. So, whenever I have anything serious to take care of, I go to the branch where I opened the account (30 minute drive). I have told them how I feel and they understand, but alas, there is nothing they can do. Thank goodness at least THEY are intelligent.

This on top of the fact that now the bank no longer accepts or gives cash. I guess this is to alleviate the bank robberies that seem to happen every day here (being cynical). In the long run, clients are supposed to fill out a cash form, place their cash in a plastic envelope and drop it in a box, where it is later picked up, by someone, and later, opened by someone. What exactly do we do when our cash deposit never shows up in our account. This happened to our macon - 5000 euros ! Took him weeks for the bank to finally recover the cash !!!!!!

Sorry, but I am not a fan of the banking system here. I am always expecting to access my account and find nothing there.

I still find the fact that your bank cashed an unsigned check incredible. Surely it must be in the banks general conditions that this is NOT done - no matter how well they know either party..

[quote]Help please - I need to write a cheque for 464 euros 31 cents and not sure how to write this in words sounds daft but I've not had to write a cheque above 60 euros! Thanks chris[/quote]

I am glad you asked this question about writing cheques, I had the same problem and spoke to a friend and she suggested that I join the Living France Forum, It's a brilliant way to learn,

I never realised that the things we take for granted, writing cheque's, trying to pay Electric/Water/Insurance bills, suddenly it's ~ Help!!!

Hoping to find all the answers on here.