Can anyone help?

Dotty0

[quote user="Dotty0"]

I wonder if anyone can tell me what  'prlv Cotis Csca Confort Ecf Imm' means.  This has appeared on my bank statement along side a debit of 4.89 euros.

Many thanks. Dotty

[/quote]

Hi Dotty

This looks like a subscription (insurance?) but really your firts port of call should be your bank. They'll be able to tell you where the money is going.

I presume you are with CA. I have a similar detail on my account except mine is Confort Maestro for €8.65 per month and that is my bank charge for that type of account. When I first opened an account I found that I had unwittingly signed up to a couple of services I didn't want and had direct debits appearing for those - it's almost the case that you have to opt out of them rather than opt in! They seemed so surprised that I didn't want these marvellous products but it was easy to cancel them.

Incidentally the reason that I have Maestro is that it gives me a debit card and free internet access to my account which I previously had to pay €0.49 for each time I connected.

Thanks to all of you.

Grs

Yes I bank with CA, however I have a debit card and free online banking as well, so not sure why you pay the 8.65 euros per month.  Also, do you get charged for new DD to be set up?  I was charged 9.00 euros for my last one.

Dotty

I don't think I've ever paid for a DD to be set up. I had a new one fairly recently for Tax Hab. for example but the others have been set up for a while now. I'm with CA Charente-Perigord. From other posts I've read there seem to be some regional variances.

Dotty, my debit card is pale blue with CB on top RH side, and Maestro bottom RH side on background of blue and red circles. On the back bottom left it has Cirruus, together with a number for assistance medicale, on right Moneo. I use it for cash machines and purchases in shops. How does this compare with yours?

Hi,

I too bank with C A, I pay €4.50 a month for the privilege. It was explained to me that this fee includes an insurance premium in case of fraudulent use. If you log onto the C A website and click the small Union Jack flag for the English language site you can download a full list of bank charges in English which is helpfull.

Until about 4 years ago, we banked without any charges with CCF (Now

HSBC France).  At that time, the French Government apparently required

the banks to provide certain minimum standards and to offer a formal

statement of terms of banking.  (At least that's my translation of the

depliant sent to us.) 

The requirement extended to setting out in a

standard format the terms of banking and any charges made.  One of

those charges with CCF is "frais tenu compte", ie charge for having any

account.  It is €6 per quarter.  This is the only charge we pay.  Other

banks don't have this charge but charge for other services.  You can

probably download from your bank's website a list of the

charges and you can get similar lists from other banks to compare

costs.  I did this and worked out that the difference for us over a 12

months was about €3.  On the basis of "the devil you know" we stayed

with CCF

Payrac-man

Which C A web site are you using - the three I have tried (Aquitaine, Midi and the full CA) don't have a Union Jack which leads to a list of charges.

Britiline does - but then, that's only relevant if you bank with Britline, and costs across the different CA "branches" are not comparable as far as I can see.

We're still banking with Britline - haven't got round to moving to a

local branch yet! - they charge 9.50 euros to set up a direct debit

UNLESS it's a utility company in which case there's no charge - I'm

guessing that for taxe habitation etc they wouldn't charge. e.g. we

were recently charged to set up the direct debit for our mutuel

insurance.

We pay 5 euros a month which allows unlimited access to the internet

site plus other stuff - when I looked into changing to the local CA it

seemed to me that we would end up paying more in charges for various

reasons, partly why we're still with Britline.

Lou

Hi Payrac-man

Thanks - and yes, I got the tariffs, which probably only work for Nord Midi Pyrenees - but its a start. Also a very useful glossary - my knowledge of french financial terms has so far been a bit limited! I do wish that the other CA regions would jump on the bandwagon - they are very happy to take the Brits money, but less happy in helping them when needed, in English. My husband's branch, in 11, has a person dedicated to helping the English (French but worked as a teaching asst in UK - so excellent English) but that service is available by phone not Internet! My own branch in 47 (long story - no need to know why here!) cannot even answer emails other than with a standard reply in French, which never answers the question!

Wouldn't be a problem if I were resident in France (as hubby is) so I expect it will all be resolved when I retire to France in a few years time. But literature in English is still a prize possession!

Many thanks