My headache house sale!

Well I'm calling this a headache but it is only just commencing!  I'm looking to sell my property in Deux Sevres and moving further north to be nearer to Anglaterre (my four kids and me are missing grandma!).. 

My headache is looking for estate agents.  Is it just me or are they hard to find?  Can anyone give me any advice or let me know of any 'good' agents in the area...........79..

[quote user="Emmarc"]

Is it just me or are they hard to find?  [/quote]

Errr, it must be you then! [;-)]

I'm in south Deux-Sevres; if you could tell us which part of the departement you are in perhaps you'll get some recommendations. Also, it's worth trying the local notaire.

Sid

EDIT:- I've PM'd you.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Emmarc, we listed our hotel and house here with various Immobilier over 18 months back and, with the exception of one UK-based estate agency, have found them all disappointing. Very often our listing would disappear from their sites after a month. What we have since done in the last couple of months is list ourselves on some online property websites which enable you to place a good sized ad with photos for absolutely free. We now have the result we were waiting for after a steady stream of enquiries - the immobilier brought no results at all. We will be saving ourselves between 30-50K euros commission. I'd say more people are searching online now rather than walking into estate agents offices. I suggest you do this asap - it's free and you've nothing to lose. Its worked for us!

It's not an either or situation, is it?

Put it on with a local estate agent and/or notaire as well as with different internet sites.

Must say we both sold our UK house and found our present French one via internet sites so the internet can obviously yield results.

Mind you, I'd never underestimate local exposure through good estate agents.  Much as some people seem to think they get money for old ropes, I would suggest an estate agent is very good to have on side in a slow market.

Good luck with your sale, OP.

In common with many other items when selling a house identifying and targetting your potential buyers is crucial. For instance, if your property is that expat classic, a self renovated 'twee' stone house, then I'd say that your potential buyers are very unlikely to be the French, if on the other hand, it's a new build then the opposite will probably apply.

This is when that brilliant idea of rewiring with UK 13a sockets comes back to haunt [Www]

Of course if the price is right (i.e. low enough) you'll sell very very quickly [blink]

I've often thought that a site for property exchanges would be a good idea, and not just for France either, there are probably as many people in UK desperate to sell and move abroad as there are brits deaperate to go back and there must be scope for deals to be done, maybe there already is one.

Bon chance.

[quote user="Jura"]Hi Emmarc, we listed our hotel and house here with various Immobilier over 18 months back and, with the exception of one UK-based estate agency, have found them all disappointing. Very often our listing would disappear from their sites after a month. What we have since done in the last couple of months is list ourselves on some online property websites which enable you to place a good sized ad with photos for absolutely free. We now have the result we were waiting for after a steady stream of enquiries - the immobilier brought no results at all. We will be saving ourselves between 30-50K euros commission. I'd say more people are searching online now rather than walking into estate agents offices. I suggest you do this asap - it's free and you've nothing to lose. Its worked for us![/quote]

Hi Jura

Where did you list your property?  Sounds like you did very well in the current market, well done! 

Panda

Well, we were listed with several agents down south here - I can recommend Jacwood Estates highly though as Margaret stayed in frequent contact with us letting us know about interest and enquiries, in fact, the only viewings we had pre-internet listing came from them and they are UK based.

If forum guidelines permit I will name-drop some free online listing sites - but I need a nod from the Mod first [;-)]

• 2 weeks later...